Hello from Texas - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > New Member Introductions

Old 01-24-2018, 09:39 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 4
View J McCoy's Photo Album My Photos
Default Hello from Texas

Residential general contractor here, looking to expand my knowledge base and possibly add spraying to my direct list of services offered. I specialize in storm damage and remodeling services. I usually subcontract all my painting, and had a handful of subs I use on a regular basis.

My problem is this, as you know the good ones have backlog and are scheduled out weeks in advance. The mediocre ones do a good job, and might show up when they're supposed too. They'll typically be in somewhat of a hurry and might make a few unncecessary mistakes. Generally speaking it's the new construction guys who think they can do spraying just like they do in an unfinished house. It's not the same. I constantly have to explain to them you have to slow down to speed up. Do more prep.

I'm running into far more mediocre ones recently and my client base is of a slightly more higher end variety which comes with a specific expectation.

Services that are currently offered are fence and pergola refinishing, exterior refinishing, interior walls and trim, cabinets and stairs, and hardwood floor refinishing, bathroom and kitchen remodels

I've been reading the forums quite a bit before I posted.

My question is this.

I'm looking at purchasing either an airless and adding AAA to it, buying An AAA outright, or going HVLP. Seems the general consensus is a 395 at a minimum. I've read a few people add the Fflp tips and short house for FF work. I also like the idea of a 490 with a brushless motor. As far as hvlp goes, I've been looking into Fuji and Apollo although graco and titan seem to be a little more common with most painters, I don't entirely feel I'm getting my money's worth as these units are typically 3-500 higher than competitors.

Given my wide array of services offered above I need some guidance in sprayer selection as my work is very balanced in all of those areas and I don't really do just one thing.

I know airless covers pretty much everything except stairs and cabinets unless someone with a fflp and short hose setup wants to chime in.

I'm not planning on bidding every job and doing it myself at this point, I just want to get myself out of a bind in case My subs are busy or don't show up when they're supposed to.

I'm sure some of you guys will say, "just get better subs" which I agree with. Unfortunately I've either not ran across them yet, or they've priced themselves out of the competition.

I'm looking for any and all equipment recommendations.

So I might as well get my piece of the pie and maintain my quality standards doing it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
J McCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to J McCoy For This Useful Post:
CApainter (01-24-2018)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2018, 12:04 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,958
Thanked 9,670 Times in 5,509 Posts
View CApainter's Photo Album My Photos

Welcome!

And it's my guess the painting contractors have priced themselves out of your market. It's been my experience that over pricing comes with a lot of insecurities in terms of what to charge based on a painting contactor's uncertain production rates and skill sets. Many suggest adding 20% at least on top of a bid as a security measure. And even more won't provide labor rates because it commits them to a fixed price.

Painters tend to compete aggressively when it comes to earnings. All it takes is to learn that another painter is earning more than you and bam! prices get raised. Next thing you know, you're being charged plumbing wages for a paint job.

Last edited by CApainter; 01-24-2018 at 12:07 PM..
CApainter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None