Hello from Texas, wish I were home. - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > New Member Introductions

Old 12-11-2011, 04:33 AM   #1
Dry as Rye

Rewards Points: 340
View Csheils's Photo Album My Photos
Default Hello from Texas, wish I were home.

Hello to all,

My name is Chris and I started on the poison about ten years ago. I had the privilege of working next to a 30 year vet for the first 6 years in the industry. I can't get off the stuff. I recently relocated from central MA to way south Texas. Beyond the usual culture shock, adapting to the paint style is..difficult. I'm a full time Education major, but I find myself far more interested in the paint industry. I was successful contracting for a few years in MA, yet I up and left to be with my forever-traveling-soon-to-be-wife. I'm 27, love this stuff, and I am more than curious to read your posts on various subjects. Known or unknown, twenty brains and fifty states are always better than one. I've been lurking since I first heard about the Ben Moore advance, when I researched it, I found only your website for any kind of review; about a year ago in MA, give or take.

I don't care to argue, I'm here to learn and offer knowledge that was passed on to me, from a stand up father-figure type guy that lived the lead era.

I appreciate any and all that you have to share, and I plan on contributing where I can.

This site has got me thinking plenty about a return to paint contracting. Currently, (it took months. and months.) I feel I'm working for a decent company. All of your dedication to "the paint" has given me a kind of rejuvenation towards painting. I had all but convinced myself that with the move from MA to Texas, it simply was not worth trying to compete. While this is a temporary move, and a great learning experience, I haven't figured out why I'm majoring in Education, when the paint business is where my heart is. Maybe I'm odd, or maybe I've found my calling. Don't care either way.

Slainte.

Christopher Sheils
Csheils is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2011, 06:15 AM   #2
RCP

Rewards Points: 78
Thanked 4,803 Times in 3,011 Posts
View RCP's Photo Album My Photos

Welcome to the forum, great intro. Look forward to your participation.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
RCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 08:12 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,000
View Scotiadawg's Photo Album My Photos

Hi Chris Welcome to the site, look forward to your posts.
Scotiadawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2011, 10:50 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 264
View Ace Painting's Photo Album My Photos

Welcome Chris.
Old 12-11-2011, 10:56 AM   #5
Old as dirt member

Rewards Points: 688
Thanked 8,440 Times in 4,284 Posts
View Schmidt & Co.'s Photo Album My Photos

Welcome from Chicago! Jump right in anytime!
Old 12-11-2011, 11:30 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 428
Thanked 1,956 Times in 1,184 Posts
View WisePainter's Photo Album My Photos

Welcome Chris, as a teacher/painter it will be perfect "extra" summer bucks in your pocket.

Funny story, my Daughter's guidance councillor was reminiscing about doing a bit of summer painting for some pocket cash.
I guess he saw my whites and just felt like sharing.
WisePainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 03:22 PM   #7
Sup!

Rewards Points: 250
View prototype66's Photo Album My Photos

Welcome to the forum Chris! Good to have you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WisePainter View Post
Funny story, my Daughter's guidance councillor was reminiscing about doing a bit of summer painting for some pocket cash.
Funny I get that a lot too! lol

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
or

prototype66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 12:04 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 570
View mr.fixit's Photo Album My Photos

welcome from eastern Massachusetts

mr.fixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 12:09 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 2,486
Thanked 6,705 Times in 4,460 Posts
View Workaholic's Photo Album My Photos

Welcome, great intro, see you in the threads.
Workaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 04:12 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 250
View SouthFloridaPainter's Photo Album My Photos

Welcome from South Florida!

Born in Brownsville, TX, grew up in Houston, stayed in Dallas for a while...were exactly are located in Texas?

MerchantCircle :

SouthFloridaPainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 08:03 PM   #11
Dry as Rye

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthFloridaPainter View Post
Welcome from South Florida!

Born in Brownsville, TX, grew up in Houston, stayed in Dallas for a while...were exactly are located in Texas?
San Antonio. My understanding is that Dallas, Houston, Austin and San Antonio all vary greatly in culture, cost of living, wages etc. I'd expect that, considering the differences in these categories between Hartford, NYC, Boston or Portland in the northeast, and their relative distances from one another.
Old 12-14-2011, 08:23 PM   #12
Dry as Rye

Quote:
Originally Posted by WisePainter View Post
Welcome Chris, as a teacher/painter it will be perfect "extra" summer bucks in your pocket.

There was a crew of guys who dabbled in the summer months back home. Called themselves TTP, Teachers that Paint. I'm sure they made some coin during those months, but I can't speak to their quality or commitment/training in trade because I never witnessed their work.

Maybe I can find a teaching job for the summer months in Texas where it's 110 degrees, and paint the rest of the year. That'd be great. I'll bet these schools have air conditioning.
The Following User Says Thank You to Csheils For This Useful Post:
WisePainter (12-15-2011)
Old 12-15-2011, 09:59 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 428
Thanked 1,956 Times in 1,184 Posts
View WisePainter's Photo Album My Photos
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Csheils View Post
There was a crew of guys who dabbled in the summer months back home. Called themselves TTP, Teachers that Paint. I'm sure they made some coin during those months, but I can't speak to their quality or commitment/training in trade because I never witnessed their work.

Maybe I can find a teaching job for the summer months in Texas where it's 110 degrees, and paint the rest of the year. That'd be great. I'll bet these schools have air conditioning.
WisePainter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hell on earth, new here