Hello there (kinda long) - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > New Member Introductions

Old 07-28-2009, 09:50 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
View Frosty's Photo Album My Photos
Default Hello there (kinda long)

Been reading this forum for awhile now and thought it was time a proper introduction was made. I am a painter for a restoration contractor, but I got to that position by accident. I worked summers for a friend of my dad as a house painter as a teen. We did the typical stuff and it was some spending money for a kid. 18 years later and 13 of those in a factory I quit to go to work for an acquaintance whom my wife already worked for. I became his shop painter because of my previous experience . I received a crash course in using a hvlp and was pretty much left to learn it myself.

That is what brought me here to begin with. Now it appears as though I will be unemployed tomorrow and have been considering starting my own business The economy is rough in my area and I'm wondering if I can make a decent living as a painter/painting contractor.

Anyway thats who I am nice to meet you.
Frosty is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2009, 10:06 AM   #2
RCP

Rewards Points: 78
Thanked 4,803 Times in 3,011 Posts
View RCP's Photo Album My Photos

Welcome! You may have read this already, but just in case!
https://www.painttalk.com/f2/new-memb...ntractor-2879/

Sorry to hear about losing your job, I hope it works out for you!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
RCP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RCP For This Useful Post:
Frosty (07-28-2009)
Old 07-28-2009, 10:26 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,658
Thanked 6,792 Times in 4,040 Posts
View ewingpainting.net's Photo Album My Photos

Welcome
Yes! You can make a great living being a paint contractor. Regardless of the current economy. This is the best time to start a business if you manage it right.
Good luck!
ewingpainting.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2009, 01:15 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 75
View colorfulpast's Photo Album My Photos

Welcome from PA! Best of luck in your endevours.
colorfulpast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 02:06 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,000
Thanked 1,031 Times in 753 Posts
View johnpaint's Photo Album My Photos

Welcome

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Never argue with a fool - they will drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
johnpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 06:27 PM   #6
Born To Be Mild

Thanked 1,704 Times in 1,000 Posts
View bikerboy's Photo Album My Photos

Welcome aboard! Use the search function. You will find out more info then you can store in your brain! The board is a great reference tool.

Good luck.

bikerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 05:42 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 10
View Frosty's Photo Album My Photos

Well it looks like I probably won't get laid off after all. But that still doesn't change my ambitions and am still considering my own business

Thanks for the links RCP and thanks for the encouragement from everybody else
Frosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 06:05 PM   #8

View nEighter's Photo Album My Photos

welcome. If you know what you are doing skill wise, take all the info in that you can about how to run your business and slowly take on side projects.. getting the feel for working for yourself then naturally it will just take over and that guy will then need to treat you like a true sub and hopefully life will be merry!

nEighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 06:27 PM   #9
RCP

Rewards Points: 78
Thanked 4,803 Times in 3,011 Posts
View RCP's Photo Album My Photos

Glad to hear about your job!
It is tough, but very doable to keep working while starting up a biz.
That gives you time to get all the proper legal requirements in order and start buying equipment.

RCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 06:41 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 2,658
Thanked 6,792 Times in 4,040 Posts
View ewingpainting.net's Photo Album My Photos

Yup! That how i did it. The hardest part for me, was to stop calling them sidejobes.
ewingpainting.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 07:13 PM   #11
I'm Colour Blind

Rewards Points: 1,008
View mistcoat's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewingpainting.net View Post
Yup! That how i did it. The hardest part for me, was to stop calling them sidejobes.
Same as!
We call 'em "Privates" over here (UK) when working for someone and then we do extra painting outside subbing/painting employment,,, Well, some of us do.

Build up your "privates" while subbing/working for someone and before you know it, you'll be so inundated with "prives" that you gotta jack in your day job to concentrate on your own work.

I was a tad lucky that when I decided to go on my own I had built up a mix of my own and my Dad's customers when he passed away

mistcoat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None