Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

Hello from Toronto

2K views 15 replies 4 participants last post by  robladd 
#1 ·
Hi, I'm new to the painting world, so I don't have a whole lot to offer you guys as of yet. I have taken an interest in doing this kind of work. I thought it might be a good idea to join this community and learn and take in as much as I can.

Currently no professional experience, my only experience has been doing various painting jobs around the house, but of course that's not the same thing. But I love it and want to do this work.

What I'm doing right now is trying to get my foot in the door. Contacting various painting contractors and hoping someone is looking for an apprentice like me. Though it seems extremely tough finding someone willing to train.

Jes.

#2 · (Edited)
Hi, I'm new to the painting world, so I don't have a whole lot to offer you guys as of yet. I have taken an interest in doing this kind of work. I thought it might be a good idea to join this community and learn and take in as much as I can.

Currently no professional experience, my only experience has been doing various painting jobs around the house, but of course that's not the same thing. But I love it and want to do this work.

What I'm doing right now is trying to get my foot in the door. Contacting various painting contractors and hoping someone is looking for an apprentice like me. Though it seems extremely tough finding someone willing to train.

Jes.
One thing you could do is join the Painters Union. I did that. I'm also still looking for work though. But they're helpful in that they give you a list of unionized companies, and their representatives will also tell you which companies in the area are busy. You'll also sign a contract for an apprenticeship, and there is also schooling involved which takes place in the same building where the union office is (in Toronto, it would be Toro Rd.).

#3 ·
I actually already looked into going into that union. I got a call from them a few days ago and got some good info. He did tell me that they help you find work, do they not actively look for work, is it mostly you that needs to look for the work or do they also help you find work?

Have you gotten work in the time you did your apprentice, did your apprentice last 3 years?

Would like to hear your impressions of your experience there.

#4 ·
I actually already looked into going into that union. I got a call from them a few days ago and got some good info. He did tell me that they help you find work, do they not actively look for work, is it mostly you that needs to look for the work or do they also help you find work?

Have you gotten work in the time you did your apprentice, did your apprentice last 3 years?

Would like to hear your impressions of your experience there.
Well, my experience is the same as yours so far. I'm new to the trade as well. And so far, I've been the one calling the companies and looking for work myself. I just joined the union within the last couple of months. Apparently, they recommend that you work for a year before starting the schooling so that you can collect EI while doing the schooling part because it's full time. That's why I'm looking for work first before doing the schooling.

#7 ·
So if the union doesn't actually work for you to find you work, what is it they do for you? I know in construction jobs your union actually helps you find work, I don't quite understand what exactly they're doing for you.

What benefits does this union entitle you to exactly?

#8 ·
as far as i know and ive sort of looked into this too... are you talking about getting your license because you need your license to work for the union isnt it the red seal....anyway when you are in a union then you can work for the companies that have union jobs....I may be going over the obvious or talking out of my 4SS.... when a huge job needs tons of painters they sometimes higer out to the union.. the union has a bunch of painters sitting at home then they all pile in and paint...if you know the secret handshake you'll go farther just like in everything......

I started out from a small business i had in the beaches area me and my partner ran a landscape painting thing... we had most of our clients from the school in the area because my partners mother was a principal.... I then tried to branch off that was my lowest point. I did those flyers that people put up on the hydro poles..It was slow but ended up with a few lucky breaks.. The flyer thing works but its hard and alot of people would think it ugly.... then i used craiglist and kijij stuff thats a crap shoot...
then i went to the internet to compete with the painting kings of google. it took about five years of hard work that i have hardly any idea about.. now things are pretty good when georgez wants to throw me a bone....lol

good to see torontonians out here

#9 ·
as far as i know and ive sort of looked into this too... are you talking about getting your license because you need your license to work for the union isnt it the red seal....anyway when you are in a union then you can work for the companies that have union jobs....
I assume you get into the union once you've done your 3 year apprenticeship?

#12 ·
Heres what i know ,, to get into the union you need 6000 hrs of on the job experience for a painter, for an electrician its 8000. You can either do this through a "apprentice" approach. or work for george comapny for 4 + years. or you can "challenge" the test. point is you need 6000hrs to take the test.. there is a test no matter what you do. Its the red seal
http://www.red-seal.ca/w.2lc.4m.2@-eng.jsp

if you dig enough you can actually find the test and the questions very extensive!

The union is simply a union a bunch of qualified people. If you were going to build a 10 building complex you would need like a lot of painters, in practice the union will be able to supply these painters. as opposed to going and hiring 3+ smaller outfits....

this information is accurate unto my research there may be aberrations and slightly inaccurate. it gets to the point....

#15 ·
Yes, once you start getting hours in with the contractor it goes towards your benefits. Health, Dental, vision to keep with the best plan you will 100 hours a month.

That is hours with a union contractor.

Hours with a non union contractor still are counted towards your journeyman status.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.