Hello from Toronto - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > New Member Introductions

Old 11-06-2011, 11:36 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75
View wanttopaint's Photo Album My Photos
Default Hello from Toronto

Hi, I'm new to the painting world, so I don't have a whole lot to offer you guys as of yet. I have taken an interest in doing this kind of work. I thought it might be a good idea to join this community and learn and take in as much as I can.

Currently no professional experience, my only experience has been doing various painting jobs around the house, but of course that's not the same thing. But I love it and want to do this work.

What I'm doing right now is trying to get my foot in the door. Contacting various painting contractors and hoping someone is looking for an apprentice like me. Though it seems extremely tough finding someone willing to train.

Jes.
wanttopaint is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2011, 11:22 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 10
View gta-paint's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanttopaint View Post
Hi, I'm new to the painting world, so I don't have a whole lot to offer you guys as of yet. I have taken an interest in doing this kind of work. I thought it might be a good idea to join this community and learn and take in as much as I can.

Currently no professional experience, my only experience has been doing various painting jobs around the house, but of course that's not the same thing. But I love it and want to do this work.

What I'm doing right now is trying to get my foot in the door. Contacting various painting contractors and hoping someone is looking for an apprentice like me. Though it seems extremely tough finding someone willing to train.

Jes.
One thing you could do is join the Painters Union. I did that. I'm also still looking for work though. But they're helpful in that they give you a list of unionized companies, and their representatives will also tell you which companies in the area are busy. You'll also sign a contract for an apprenticeship, and there is also schooling involved which takes place in the same building where the union office is (in Toronto, it would be Toro Rd.).

Last edited by gta-paint; 11-11-2011 at 11:25 AM.. Reason: wanted to add more
gta-paint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 12:19 PM   #3

I actually already looked into going into that union. I got a call from them a few days ago and got some good info. He did tell me that they help you find work, do they not actively look for work, is it mostly you that needs to look for the work or do they also help you find work?

Have you gotten work in the time you did your apprentice, did your apprentice last 3 years?

Would like to hear your impressions of your experience there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2011, 01:40 PM   #4

Quote:
I actually already looked into going into that union. I got a call from them a few days ago and got some good info. He did tell me that they help you find work, do they not actively look for work, is it mostly you that needs to look for the work or do they also help you find work?

Have you gotten work in the time you did your apprentice, did your apprentice last 3 years?

Would like to hear your impressions of your experience there.
Well, my experience is the same as yours so far. I'm new to the trade as well. And so far, I've been the one calling the companies and looking for work myself. I just joined the union within the last couple of months. Apparently, they recommend that you work for a year before starting the schooling so that you can collect EI while doing the schooling part because it's full time. That's why I'm looking for work first before doing the schooling.
Old 11-11-2011, 03:43 PM   #5

Sounds different than what I was told. I was told the way it works is they find you work and than your apprenticeship starts from there. Think maybe someone was selling me something that they don't actually do...
Old 11-11-2011, 04:52 PM   #6

Yeah, actually, that's how I felt about it. I wish someone had informed ME properly before I joined. That kind of pissed me off.
Old 11-11-2011, 06:17 PM   #7

So if the union doesn't actually work for you to find you work, what is it they do for you? I know in construction jobs your union actually helps you find work, I don't quite understand what exactly they're doing for you.

What benefits does this union entitle you to exactly?
Old 11-13-2011, 08:33 AM   #8
Spider killer

Rewards Points: 772
View jason123's Photo Album My Photos

as far as i know and ive sort of looked into this too... are you talking about getting your license because you need your license to work for the union isnt it the red seal....anyway when you are in a union then you can work for the companies that have union jobs....I may be going over the obvious or talking out of my 4SS.... when a huge job needs tons of painters they sometimes higer out to the union.. the union has a bunch of painters sitting at home then they all pile in and paint...if you know the secret handshake you'll go farther just like in everything......

I started out from a small business i had in the beaches area me and my partner ran a landscape painting thing... we had most of our clients from the school in the area because my partners mother was a principal.... I then tried to branch off that was my lowest point. I did those flyers that people put up on the hydro poles..It was slow but ended up with a few lucky breaks.. The flyer thing works but its hard and alot of people would think it ugly.... then i used craiglist and kijij stuff thats a crap shoot...
then i went to the internet to compete with the painting kings of google. it took about five years of hard work that i have hardly any idea about.. now things are pretty good when georgez wants to throw me a bone....lol

good to see torontonians out here

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jason123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 05:21 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason123 View Post
as far as i know and ive sort of looked into this too... are you talking about getting your license because you need your license to work for the union isnt it the red seal....anyway when you are in a union then you can work for the companies that have union jobs....
I assume you get into the union once you've done your 3 year apprenticeship?
Old 11-14-2011, 10:39 AM   #10

Quote:
I assume you get into the union once you've done your 3 year apprenticeship?
Nope. I haven't even started my apprenticeship, and I joined the union over the last month or so. It's the first thing they have you do before you even sign up for an apprenticeship. Then you start looking for work with companies who are willing to take on apprentices.

Last edited by gta-paint; 11-14-2011 at 10:40 AM.. Reason: spelling error
Old 11-14-2011, 11:55 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by gta-paint View Post
Nope. I haven't even started my apprenticeship, and I joined the union over the last month or so. It's the first thing they have you do before you even sign up for an apprenticeship. Then you start looking for work with companies who are willing to take on apprentices.
So I'll ask again. What benefits are you entitled to being part of this union? I'd like to get more info on it from someone that's actually in the union and not something that's sugar coated from one of their rep's.
Old 11-14-2011, 12:30 PM   #12
Spider killer

Rewards Points: 772
View jason123's Photo Album My Photos

Heres what i know ,, to get into the union you need 6000 hrs of on the job experience for a painter, for an electrician its 8000. You can either do this through a "apprentice" approach. or work for george comapny for 4 + years. or you can "challenge" the test. point is you need 6000hrs to take the test.. there is a test no matter what you do. Its the red seal
http://www.red-seal.ca/[email protected]

if you dig enough you can actually find the test and the questions very extensive!

The union is simply a union a bunch of qualified people. If you were going to build a 10 building complex you would need like a lot of painters, in practice the union will be able to supply these painters. as opposed to going and hiring 3+ smaller outfits....

this information is accurate unto my research there may be aberrations and slightly inaccurate. it gets to the point....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jason123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 04:04 PM   #13

Quote:
So I'll ask again. What benefits are you entitled to being part of this union? I'd like to get more info on it from someone that's actually in the union and not something that's sugar coated from one of their rep's.
I don't understand, which one of us are you accusing of being a 'rep'? I paid for a union membership. It cost me about 100 bucks. What this person is describing sounds to me like the amount of hours and such that is required to complete the apprenticeship, not what's required to enter the union. Unless that's yet another thing I've been misinformed about. And if so, then what exactly did I pay for?
Old 11-14-2011, 08:21 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by gta-paint View Post
I don't understand, which one of us are you accusing of being a 'rep'? I paid for a union membership. It cost me about 100 bucks. What this person is describing sounds to me like the amount of hours and such that is required to complete the apprenticeship, not what's required to enter the union. Unless that's yet another thing I've been misinformed about. And if so, then what exactly did I pay for?

I wasn't accusing either of you of being a rep. I was referring to the rep I spoke with on the phone that advised me about an apprenticeship starting once they find you a job. But it doesn't seem like that's how it is. So I guess your accepted to the union right away. But I'm just a little confused with what the benefit is. If you still need to find work on your own, and if you don't get accepted into the union to get union benefits until 6000 hours of work is shown to be already done; than what is it the union is doing for you exactly? Seems like they don't do anything until you have experience already.

Am I missing something here?
Old 11-14-2011, 10:29 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 712
View robladd's Photo Album My Photos

Yes, once you start getting hours in with the contractor it goes towards your benefits. Health, Dental, vision to keep with the best plan you will 100 hours a month.

That is hours with a union contractor.

Hours with a non union contractor still are counted towards your journeyman status.
robladd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to robladd For This Useful Post:
gta-paint (11-15-2011)
Old 11-14-2011, 10:39 PM   #16

Rewards Points: 712
View robladd's Photo Album My Photos

If you walk in off the street and can prove 6000 hrs of documented painting experience you can take the journeyman test.
robladd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None