Hello! trying to start my own painting business... any tips/help? Thanks - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > New Member Introductions

Old 02-04-2008, 05:32 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
View nazzy019's Photo Album My Photos
Default Hello! trying to start my own painting business... any tips/help? Thanks

Hi, I'm currently trying to start my own painting business, I have a bit of experience around friends/familys house's, and would like to start out pretty basic to gain the experience without getting myself in over my head. I have a fulltime job, however I'm home by around 1pm everyday, and eventually would like painting to be fulltime. I was wondering what is the best way to manage my costs, attain customers, basically just get started.

Thanks
nazzy019 is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2008, 05:34 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000
Thanked 5,929 Times in 3,434 Posts
View vermontpainter's Photo Album My Photos

timhag...drumroll...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
vermontpainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 05:41 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 3,012
Thanked 5,800 Times in 2,487 Posts
View PressurePros's Photo Album My Photos

Go to as many paint forums as you can, keep your hands and fingers at your sides until it is time to click the next thread, and read, read and read some more. When 60 days has passed by and you have a full understanding that no one is likely to hand-hold you through the start up issues of estimating, marketing etc you can then ask specific questions about topics.

After another 60 days of interacting with industry professionals and understanding that the ability to purchase and/or hold a paint brush does not make you a contractor has set in.. scan the want ads for a part time painting position. Learn the ropes for a year, save every dollar you can so that you can market your business and come across like a professional, and you lower your chance of failure from 100% to maybe 50%.

If you think that is a harsh response, I just saved you from the real hide tanning that may be yet to come.

Welcome to Paint Talk !

PressurePros is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2008, 05:54 PM   #4

View timhag's Photo Album My Photos

You come to our house and your 1st question is this? After you have read thru this site https://www.painttalk.com/index.php . Come back here and tell us what you have learned. Then, if we feel you have earned our respect, we will greet you with open arms. There is a lot more to painting than you think my brother.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

timhag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 05:58 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,922
Thanked 2,491 Times in 1,405 Posts
View Dave Mac's Photo Album My Photos

[quote=nazzy019;13428]Hi, I'm currently trying to start my own painting business, I have a bit of experience around friends/familys house's,

Sorry but that is no experience at all. Clients deserve experts, imo

and would like to start out pretty basic to gain the experience without getting myself in over my head.

Go to work for a good paint company and learn the ropes is the best way to gain the experience you seek imo

I have a fulltime job, however I'm home by around 1pm everyday, and eventually would like painting to be fulltime.

You may be able to work for a good paint company part time,

I was wondering what is the best way to manage my costs, attain customers, basically just get started.

Well when working for family and freinds, track how long things take you to do things, you want to create history for production rates, although you being a begginer may be way slow, so you could compare them to others as well.

Getting in over your head, sometimes is the best learnig device their is lol it was for me.

Or you could just hire people to do everything for you that you dont know how to do yourself, I disagree with this, but here it plenty, maybe somebody will chime in.

welcome aboard you came to a good place lots of goood stuff to learn, thier is no easy way imo
Dave Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 06:04 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 3,012
Thanked 5,800 Times in 2,487 Posts
View PressurePros's Photo Album My Photos

Dave, the key I find to being semi successful is to hit the trenches, learn everything you can about the business..anything that can and will go wrong. Then, by properly setting up your pricing and marketing, and systemizing along the way, you hire things you don't WANT to do anymore. I would never advocate running a contracting company without knowing the craft, but like you mentioned, I'm sure it has been done.

PressurePros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 06:14 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,922
Thanked 2,491 Times in 1,405 Posts
View Dave Mac's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by PressurePros View Post
Dave, the key I find to being semi successful is to hit the trenches, learn everything you can about the business..anything that can and will go wrong. Then, by properly setting up your pricing and marketing, and systemizing along the way, you hire things you don't WANT to do anymore. I would never advocate running a contracting company without knowing the craft, but like you mentioned, I'm sure it has been done.

Ken
Very well said, as always.

PS
Nazzy I suggest you search all post and topics started by Ken, and Brian for starters. Truly good reading if your serious about wanting a company

dave mac
Dave Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 06:21 PM   #8
Systems Fanatic

Rewards Points: 500
View Brian's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Mac View Post
Getting in over your head, sometimes is the best learnig device their is lol it was for me.
Dave,

I agree with most of what you said, but I disagree on this point. It's fine to learn from your mistakes. But it's much easier and cheaper to learn from other's mistakes.

Some people have the fortitude to weather some very rough storms. But I don't think they intentionally seek them out.

Brian Phillips

Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 08:06 PM   #9
we now paint roofs!!!!

View HomeGuardPaints's Photo Album My Photos

Click on Brian's^^^^^^^ blog. it's full of information.
Old 02-04-2008, 08:22 PM   #10
JTP

View JTP's Photo Album My Photos

Hey Naz-- I've been around life a few decades. Why learn the hard way? These folks know the real deal. They can save you on anything imaginable. Take a look at Crow's goals and some similar answers to those who come here seeking the same wisdom.

These guys are telling you to show some interest on your own behalf by taking the time to research and learn. If you do, this forum will open up an entire new world of making money either holding a brush or managing others that are proficient at the trade.

I've already learned more here in a month than I did painiting for 30 years. Guess I'm not that smart.

JTP
JTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 09:01 PM   #11
FT painter/FT dad

View Rich's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTP View Post
I've already learned more here in a month than I did painiting for 30 years. Guess I'm not that smart.

JTP
dude...how freakin old are you?
Old 02-04-2008, 09:04 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Rich

Where are your manners?

Old 02-04-2008, 09:09 PM   #13
JTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Rich--find the picture!

JTP
Old 02-04-2008, 09:10 PM   #14
FT painter/FT dad

hey...I ain't asking a chick, lol

I've been at it 12 years, but I keep forgetting I'm one of few youngsters in here
Old 02-04-2008, 09:11 PM   #15

True...I guess its not as bad as asking a chick if shes pregnant. Or talking religion with your future mother-in-law...

Old 02-04-2008, 09:14 PM   #16
FT painter/FT dad

JTP..sorry about that brainfart for a second. I remember the pic...dealing with so many guys in here for my own good sometimes
Old 02-04-2008, 09:16 PM   #17

View timhag's Photo Album My Photos

I was waiting for you to redeem yourself Rich

timhag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 09:30 PM   #18
JTP

Rich--I'm a tough old bird--no need for apologies.

JTP
Old 02-04-2008, 09:32 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTP View Post
Rich--I'm a tough old bird--no need for apologies.

JTP
JTP

The more you describe yourself, I am starting to wonder if you or Crow are the rootinest tootinest shotgun totinest painttalkinest old coot out here! We have such a great group here! And as to Rich's questioning your age, hes in connecticut so he doesnt know that states bordering lake champlain have access to the fountain of youth!

Old 02-04-2008, 10:02 PM   #20
JTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by vermontpainter View Post
JTP

The more you describe yourself, I am starting to wonder if you or Crow are the rootinest tootinest shotgun totinest painttalkinest old coot out here! We have such a great group here! And as to Rich's questioning your age, hes in connecticut so he doesnt know that states bordering lake champlain have access to the fountain of youth!
I remember my high school English teacher making us read a book which really examined the youth vs. experience issue. My partner is 36, I am 57, he's one heck of a technician. I've sold every job and can't hold a candle to his painting style. BTW-- Lake Champlain does indeed have waters encouraging old cells to become young once again. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it. 57 ain't that old anyway. I climb pretty well. I ain't scairt!

And Vermont Man--thanks for the good ole boy reference--it took me a long time to acquire a feel for: You might be a redneck if your artwork is in your front yard, up on 4 milk crates, and Xmas lights are still glaring in July!

JTP

Last edited by JTP; 02-04-2008 at 10:09 PM..

Tags
None