Hello and where are we going? - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > New Member Introductions

Old 08-06-2010, 09:44 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75
View wncpainter's Photo Album My Photos
Default Hello and where are we going?

I'm glad to have stumbled upon this forum a few weeks back, excellent info. I have been painting with a 30 year "pro" for the past five years learning the trade and am deciding to branch out on my own. he still swears by Oil and rarely uses anything else , old habits die hard.. but a good teacher.. But am I crazy to consider jumping full blown into my own painting business right now? I have been waiting to see were this economy is going , but the way i figure,, there will always be need for our trade,, its just that you have to identify the market that will be stable and go after it.. i have seen alot of large PC dump their crews and are back into the bucket while most of the equipment stays idle, their biz model is shot. any trends out there?? thanks in advance and for this forum.. Cheers
wncpainter is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2010, 09:47 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000
Thanked 1,031 Times in 753 Posts
View johnpaint's Photo Album My Photos

What?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Never argue with a fool - they will drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
johnpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 10:02 PM   #3

just wondering where guys see this industry heading?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2010, 11:49 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,658
Thanked 6,792 Times in 4,040 Posts
View ewingpainting.net's Photo Album My Photos

If you got a 40'
You will be going up.
Welcome
ewingpainting.net is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ewingpainting.net For This Useful Post:
ProWallGuy (08-07-2010), RCP (08-07-2010), ReNt A PaInTeR (08-07-2010), straight_lines (08-09-2010)
Old 08-07-2010, 12:03 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,000
View nEighter's Photo Album My Photos

no one knows. We all debate it and try to figure it out, but no one really knows what is going on with it. There is work out there, but do people have the extra money to spend? Or will the part with the money to maintain what they have? Time will tell, the "timers" tell us that it is all cycles and they have seen this before..

nEighter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nEighter For This Useful Post:
ligboozer (08-07-2010), wncpainter (08-07-2010)
Old 08-08-2010, 12:26 PM   #6
dvp

View dvp's Photo Album My Photos

i think the future of painting will be in prisons and goverment subsidised apartment complexes like the had in the former soviet union. maybee mosques, goverment owned medical clinics, and facilities for a new branches of the military designed to keep order after our economy colapses.
dvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 12:30 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,030
Thanked 4,211 Times in 2,057 Posts
View aaron61's Photo Album My Photos

I think this is a question for Plainpainter to address.....Welcome!

aaron61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 12:52 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,486
Thanked 6,705 Times in 4,460 Posts
View Workaholic's Photo Album My Photos

Welcome to PT.
Nobody can say when the right time for you to take that leap will be or if there is ever a right time. Not everybody is cut out to run a PC business some may be better off just being employees. Only you can answer if you are ready. Yes the economy is not in the best shape right now but that does not mean that it can not handle another start up business. It will depend on what steps you do to make it and your location and you personally.

Oil is a dying material. It is only a matter of time before it is unavailable in all 50 states.
Workaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Workaholic For This Useful Post:
wncpainter (08-09-2010)
Old 08-08-2010, 12:57 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 916
Thanked 9,534 Times in 5,401 Posts
View CApainter's Photo Album My Photos

The painting industry will continue to develop in terms of technology, distribution, and operations.
Where you choose to be positioned in the industry will determine your viability.

Paint chemistry is probably a good position to be in because of the changes necessary to comply with the ever increasing restrictions.

Distribution has it's own logistical challenges, and if the recent shortage of materials is any indicator of supply needs, I'd say that's a good position to be in.

Inspection, and consultation are on the rise due to developing nations need for new technology, and the support system provided within the painting industry.

On the other hand, with so many skilled painters available to perform side work, and the saturation of self employed painters, including established painting companies, I'd say that the current economic climate for would be self employed painters is extremely challenging.
CApainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 04:01 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 150
View Wallpaper Gypsy's Photo Album My Photos

Trends are favoring the low cost low quality high production model at this time in, my opinion (College Works, M&E, Certa Pro...) concentrate on finding customers that haven't lost their own integrity and you can keep yours also. When you find that... tell me where the hell they are!
Wallpaper Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 01:41 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 1,000
View Last Craftsman's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by wncpainter View Post
I'm glad to have stumbled upon this forum a few weeks back, excellent info. I have been painting with a 30 year "pro" for the past five years learning the trade
That's a strong background.

welcome.
Old 08-09-2010, 01:53 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 1,000
View Last Craftsman's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvp View Post
i think the future of painting will be in prisons and goverment subsidised apartment complexes like the had in the former soviet union. maybee mosques, goverment owned medical clinics, and facilities for a new branches of the military designed to keep order after our economy colapses.

Lol!

And you guys thought I had a bleak outlook!

I hadn't actually gone so far as to envision what it would actually be like to PAINT as a profession in a draconian dystopia. That's bleak!

Will they even have color in the future? Or will all paints simply be mixed in one of several shades of gray!

I am no longer the grumpiest Gus on the totem pole. I have been liberated.

I am passing the baton on to you DVP, brandish it with cynicism and mistrust of all things!

I am free!!!!

Old 08-09-2010, 07:37 AM   #13

thanks for the ideas and thoughts.. especially the Orwellian ones, institutional painting where everything is the same school house pink in order to keep us calm and in line..
But I tend to lean towards the positive..... whats the alternative?? Cheers....

Tags
None