From helper to painter, hello and help - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > New Member Introductions

Old 01-12-2010, 10:58 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 604
View sayn3ver's Photo Album My Photos
Default From helper to painter, hello and help

Hi. My name is Lance. I have been a carpenter's assistant/helper for about a year. My employer does general contracting work, everything from restorations, renovations, and new additions.

However, I really would like to start honing a skill set. All of the local union trades I have been looking into seem to be dead and have not and are not accepting applications.

I realize painting is on the low step of the ladder when it comes to money and respect. But, I have been kinda stuck doing the painting at my current job, and with each job I have gotten better results. I've been on here reading quite a bit and realized I never introduced myself.

The help part of this is i was wondering if anyone in the south jersey/philly area is looking for an apprentice or new hire. I have good references and will have my BA from Rutgers come May, not that it matters. I just enjoy working with my hands rather then sitting behind a desk.

My ultimate goal would to become proficient behind a spray gun (never sprayed anything before). There is something to be said for flawless looking trim. However basics are always a good place to start. I really do want to learn a trade, not just get a new job.

I have my own car, belt(not really needed for painting), and an assortment of painting equipment (no ladders though). I will pass a drug test 365 days a year. I show up every day. I show up on time.

and finally Hello and thank you to everyone. there is so much great information on this site.
sayn3ver is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2010, 12:47 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,076
Thanked 1,311 Times in 724 Posts
View Rcon's Photo Album My Photos

I'm not sure what to say.

This site is for *professional* painting *contractors*. Or professional *painters*.

I applaud you for making an introduction, but coming here looking for work isn't going to get you many helpful responses.

Saying that painting is on the low step of the ladder on a painting forum could get you burned at the stake.

I'd like to offer some advice - why not start on the DIY forum, then spend a few years painting, THEN come back here and make another intro.

I'm not trying to be rude man, but i'm not sure a professional painting contractors forum is where you belong. Do what reading you can from here, ask questions at the DIY and learn a little. Get some real world experience.

And if you're looking for work - open your local phone book and start making some phone calls.

Good luck,
RCON
Rcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 06:48 AM   #3
Sterling Painting LTD

Rewards Points: 150
View SterlingPainting's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayn3ver View Post
I realize painting is on the low step of the ladder when it comes to money and respect.
Lol hell of a way to make an intro but welcome anyways!
SterlingPainting is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2010, 07:09 AM   #4
Born To Be Mild

Rewards Points: 2,000
Thanked 1,704 Times in 1,000 Posts
View bikerboy's Photo Album My Photos

I like seeing a young man willing to work hard, and knowing what that is. If you were in my area, I'd give you a chance. Welcome to the board.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

bikerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 12:06 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 878
View jacob33's Photo Album My Photos

I dont see anything wrong with you posting here just do searches first and than ask questions. Rcon I think you should lighten up on him some he is painting for a living thus a professional painter. The other good thing is he knows his limits and wants to start as an apprentice.

Good Luck
jacob33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 02:55 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,308
Thanked 9,558 Times in 5,424 Posts
View CApainter's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayn3ver View Post
Hi. My name is Lance. I have been a carpenter's assistant/helper for about a year. My employer does general contracting work, everything from restorations, renovations, and new additions.

However, I really would like to start honing a skill set. All of the local union trades I have been looking into seem to be dead and have not and are not accepting applications.

I realize painting is on the low step of the ladder when it comes to money and respect. But, I have been kinda stuck doing the painting at my current job, and with each job I have gotten better results. I've been on here reading quite a bit and realized I never introduced myself.

The help part of this is i was wondering if anyone in the south jersey/philly area is looking for an apprentice or new hire. I have good references and will have my BA from Rutgers come May, not that it matters. I just enjoy working with my hands rather then sitting behind a desk.

My ultimate goal would to become proficient behind a spray gun (never sprayed anything before). There is something to be said for flawless looking trim. However basics are always a good place to start. I really do want to learn a trade, not just get a new job.

I have my own car, belt(not really needed for painting), and an assortment of painting equipment (no ladders though). I will pass a drug test 365 days a year. I show up every day. I show up on time.

and finally Hello and thank you to everyone. there is so much great information on this site.
I understand the difficulty searching for a job in an economy similar to the present one, and I applaud your efforts. There is no reason for you to hang out with the DIY'ers. They just breed bad habits.

Painting is a good trade if you approach it with a proffesional attitude.

With that said, do not waste your education because you've bought into the played out cliche that one would rather work with their hands then sit behind a desk.
CApainter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CApainter For This Useful Post:
mistcoat (01-13-2010)
Old 01-13-2010, 03:02 PM   #7

Also do not think painters are low pay. It is an easy trade to make good money in. Just do not sell yourself short. On new custom homes here painting is the most expensive of any of the trades. Granted there are more hours in painting than any other but the margins are fairly good as well.
Old 01-13-2010, 04:02 PM   #8

sorry, I didn't mean to make it sound like painting is not a sought after profession. But there is a difference in what a licensed electrician or heavy equipment operator makes vs what an average painter makes.

I am a professional, not a painting one at the moment. I have about 9 or 10 paint jobs under the belt with my employer. Why should I go to the DIY forum?

I am currently employed. However, I would like to master one craft rather than be a jack of all trades contractor. Yes, my employer can do everything from cement and brick work to framing to drywall to trim to siding to roofing, etc, etc. But like most home owners, it often takes him longer than someone who in a trade in which they do the same thing all the time, day in and day out.

Which is why I am looking to see if someone in the area may be on here looking for employees. Unlike other online forums, there is no classified section on here.

I didn't mean to ruffle so many feathers. I am genuinely trying to learn the craft. I thought it would be better to do it under a paint journeyman so to speak than on my own.

Mods, please feel free to delete this thread if you feel necessary.

And no, I am not kidding about liking to work with my hands. I always have. I preferred to draw and build with erector sets and plastic models when I was a young kid rather than video games.

I've been a pharmacy tech for 5 years. I spent hours behind a computer at school. I just I enjoy coming home dirty at the end of the day. It feels like I accomplished something.
Old 01-13-2010, 05:43 PM   #9

Thanked 5,929 Times in 3,434 Posts
View vermontpainter's Photo Album My Photos

The paint trade needs intelligent, interested, committed, hard working young people to enter the trade. It is an aging trade and many of the young people who are currently in it are in it until they figure out what they really want to do with their lives, or because they dont have many options and they just need a job. Welcome to your new home on painttalk. There are professionals here who want to help and encourage guys like you.

vermontpainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 06:37 PM   #10
RCP

Rewards Points: 78
Thanked 4,803 Times in 3,011 Posts
View RCP's Photo Album My Photos

Lance, welcome to the site. There is a lot to be learned here, spend some more time reading and I am sure there will be questions, so feel free to ask.
While this is a forum for professionals to interact and network, it is not always the best place to learn how to run a business. The reason (I feel) is because "you don't know what you don't know" and there are so many ways to do things, what works for me may not work for you. So, read, read, read!
Put your location in your profile.
Part of the reason we don't have a job section is we have members from all over the world. You are fine to post a thread looking for work though.

Look at your local resources, tech school, business college, SCORE, try to find a mentor or a local Painting Contractor that may be able to train you.

You seem like someone who is trying to become a professional.

RCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 06:41 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCP View Post
While this is a forum for professionals to interact and network, it is not always the best place to learn how to run a business.
It is unclear if he wants to learn how to apply paint or learn how to become a paint contractor. In theory, wouldnt the forum serve either end?

I am serious when I say that we need new, young, intelligent people entering the trade. I hope there are enough others here who share that concern and are willing to help.

Old 01-13-2010, 06:44 PM   #12

I agree with vermont that we need to help people especially if they show intelligence and willingness to learn. He appears willing to learn and knows what he does not know so I think he will be just fine.
Old 01-13-2010, 06:47 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacob33 View Post
I agree with vermont that we need to help people especially if they show intelligence and willingness to learn. He appears willing to learn and knows what he does not know so I think he will be just fine.
The site has had other success stories like the cat who left his manufacturing job and learned how to run a successful business here. It is fun to watch people grow when they start something new in the field. Granted, there have been alot of people passing through, lured by the perceived low cost of entry, and a quick buck.

Also, this kid could end up in some kind of a model like N8er has going. Coatings and construction. I think we should help. One early mentor can have a huge impact.

Old 01-13-2010, 06:56 PM   #14
RCP

Rewards Points: 78
Thanked 4,803 Times in 3,011 Posts
View RCP's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by vermontpainter View Post
It is unclear if he wants to learn how to apply paint or learn how to become a paint contractor. In theory, wouldnt the forum serve either end?
I am serious when I say that we need new, young, intelligent people entering the trade. I hope there are enough others here who share that concern and are willing to help.
Yes, that is why I said "read, read, read"! I agree, and encouraged him!

RCP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RCP For This Useful Post:
vermontpainter (01-13-2010)
Old 01-13-2010, 08:14 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 2,486
Thanked 6,705 Times in 4,460 Posts
View Workaholic's Photo Album My Photos
Default My advice

Take advantage of the search feature, as most newbi questions have been asked at least once around here.
If you were in my area and it was not my slow time i would give you a shot. I appreciate someone that wants to learn the trade and not just milk the clock as a job.
There are a lot of great business owners here that will be willing to answer your questions.

Sometimes it is better to have the novice here, that way they can be given the opportunity to learn the right way of doing things. Rather than just picking up bad bad habits along the way.

I don't know if i would turn my back on your schooling but that is a personal choice.
Good luck.

Last edited by Workaholic; 01-13-2010 at 08:24 PM.. Reason: add on
Workaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 11:12 PM   #16

Rewards Points: 250
View johnisimpson's Photo Album My Photos

Welcome to the board and I hope you can learn a lot here. Hopefully someone in your area will read the thread and be enticed.

I think we should all encourage the involvement of someone doing what is so often advised here. How many times have new members been advised that they should have learned the trade from someone before starting their business? Now we've got someone trying to follow that advice.....now what do we tell him?
johnisimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 11:20 PM   #17

View KLaw's Photo Album My Photos

If you don't mind, please clarify. Do you want to learn how to paint or do you want to learn how to run a biz or both? It might help as far as the direction this forum helps you with.
KLaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 11:25 PM   #18

Rewards Points: 2,486
Thanked 6,705 Times in 4,460 Posts
View Workaholic's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by fresh coat View Post
If you don't mind, please clarify. Do you want to learn how to paint or do you want to learn how to run a biz or both? It might help as far as the direction this forum helps you with.
Sounds like for a start he wants to sling the paint. Likes to get his hands dirty type. Of course some years into it you think, I need to have people do this for me.
Workaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 11:29 PM   #19

View KLaw's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workaholic View Post
Sounds like for a start he wants to sling the paint. Likes to get his hands dirty type. Of course some years into it you think, I need to have people do this for me.

Yep - that is what I was thinking.
KLaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 06:19 PM   #20

Right now I am looking to do the painting. I want to learn and practice. Eventually I would not mind starting my own business but it seems pointless to try and start a business without having any knowlege of the trade, athough I am sure there are those with the capital and business experience to get away without being able to paint themselves.

I didn't mean to just come on here and post a job wanted post. I should have known better, not very good board edicate.

I got a renovated 14x10 master bedroom with a 10ft vaulted cieling. I am doing now. I will post pics when the job gets done. It's still being trimmed out.

Last edited by sayn3ver; 01-14-2010 at 06:23 PM.. Reason: Spelling and grammer

Tags
None