Hi, my name is Josh. I just joined the forum. - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > New Member Introductions

Closed Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 02:53 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
View Quality Painting's Photo Album My Photos
Default Hi, my name is Josh. I just joined the forum.

Hi everyone, my name is Josh, I'm 23 years old and am in the process of starting my own painting company, Quality Painting. I'm really glad that I found this forum, I hope that having experienced painting contractors to consult with will make getting started much easier. If you're interested, here's a link to my company website, www.qualitypainting-ct.biz where you can learn a lot more about me and my new company. feel free to give any constructive criticism.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2011, 03:27 PM   #2
The Man In The Arena

Rewards Points: 150
View NextCoatings's Photo Album My Photos

You can "feeeeel" the energy coming from this guy! Good luck with your venture and welcome aboard!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-21-2011, 04:40 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 3,012
Thanked 5,800 Times in 2,487 Posts
View PressurePros's Photo Album My Photos

Why are you hawking some other guys "How to Hire a Painter" stuff on the home page of your website??

PS: This is great selling copy from your site:
If you're considering having you're home or commercial business painted, it's a proven fact that painting is one of the least expensive, and most effective ways to improve your real estate.

It's amazing what color can do. A fresh coat of paint will not only make your property more enjoyable, but it will also protect it, increase it's value, and make it more marketable.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2011, 05:07 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,486
Thanked 6,705 Times in 4,460 Posts
View Workaholic's Photo Album My Photos

Welcome to PT Josh.
Old 02-21-2011, 05:34 PM   #5

View Colour Republic's Photo Album My Photos

Welcome

but really!!!!

"Did You Know That You May be at Risk of Getting Sued, or Even Losing Your Home if You Choose the WRONG House Painter?"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 02-21-2011, 06:28 PM   #6
SeHablaEspañol

Rewards Points: 500
View AztecPainting's Photo Album My Photos

Welcome!
><
>
Old 02-21-2011, 06:39 PM   #7
RCP

Rewards Points: 78
Thanked 4,803 Times in 3,011 Posts
View RCP's Photo Album My Photos

Hi Josh, welcome to the forum. You will find lots of helpful members here, if you'd like some constructive critiques on your web site, may I suggest you start a new thread here?

I think it may be helpful to you!

Old 02-21-2011, 06:56 PM   #8
Shazaam!

Rewards Points: 604
View Different Strokes's Photo Album My Photos

welcome
Old 02-22-2011, 10:42 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 75
View faux's Photo Album My Photos

Josh-

I like your website

Old 02-22-2011, 12:48 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 428
Thanked 1,956 Times in 1,184 Posts
View WisePainter's Photo Album My Photos

$99 for a 12x12 room, and $99 for a front door...

welcome!
Old 02-22-2011, 02:54 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 530
View Dunbar Painting's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by WisePainter View Post

welcome!
I saw that too but didn't want to be the one who commented.

My name is actually Coby, Dunbar is the community I live in!
The Following User Says Thank You to Dunbar Painting For This Useful Post:
WisePainter (02-23-2011)
Old 02-23-2011, 12:11 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 570
View mr.fixit's Photo Album My Photos

Hey Josh welcome. I was just wondering your offer expires March. would that be March 1st or 31st or something in between.

Old 02-23-2011, 06:20 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 264
View Ace Painting's Photo Album My Photos

Welcome Josh.
Old 02-23-2011, 07:37 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 10
View Quality Painting's Photo Album My Photos

Thanks for the great response everyone! I'd just like to say that you guys all seem really cool, and I appreciate the criticism. Everything is in the experimental stage, so don't be afraid to tell me what you think, I wont be offended. To answer some questions...

Quote:
Why are you hawking some other guys "How to Hire a Painter" stuff on the home page of your website??
Hey Pressure Pros, just like to say that I've read some of your threads on market domination and the like, and I think they're awesome. I actually printed some of them just for educational purposes. To answer your question... this is just a special report designed to pre-sell my services to the homeowner. This is a trick I learned from a successful painter/business owner in Michigan. It's not only on my website, but every time I do an estimate for a home owner, they'll get a free report. Consumer guides are a commonly used and effective marketing tool. I'm using his report instead of my own because I've learned from previous sales and marketing experience that information like this coming from third person will be more credible and effective in selling my services than if I were personally to write a consumer guide like this, talking myself up.

Quote:
but really!!!!

"Did You Know That You May be at Risk of Getting Sued, or Even Losing Your Home if You Choose the WRONG House Painter?"
Thanks for the feedback Colour Republic. If anyone thinks that this is the wrong headline to use for any reason, I'd like to here what you think. It's experimental right now, and my main goal here is to capture people's attention, scare them a bit and get them to read the report. This is the exact headline that the painter in Michigan (who I mentioned) used. It may seem a bit ridiculous, but it's true, you can really can get sued or if you hire a painter without insurance, or if someone gets hurt on you property ect.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by WisePainter

welcome!

I saw that too but didn't want to be the one who commented.
To Wise Painter and Dunbar Painting. Thanks for the comment. I'm not sure exactly what you guys mean here, do you think the prices are to low, too high? Please explain I'm interested. I'm new to the business so I'm going to experiment with these specials to see how they work out, but just for the record, these are the same exact specials a very successful painter I know in northern California uses to generate new business. The goal of the specials is to literally "get in the front door" so you then have a chance to sell customers on more of your services. Getting people's attention and getting in front of them is the first step to any kind of sales.

Quote:
Hey Josh welcome. I was just wondering your offer expires March. would that be March 1st or 31st or something in between.
To Mr. Fixit, The specials end at the end of march, (I'll fix this on the site so it's clear). The only reason I have a deadline at all is to motivate people to pick up the phone and call me. You see deadlines on TV all the time just for that reason. It's the old sale and a deadline duo. lol

Thanks again guys for the great response, you all seem really cool and I'm looking forward to sharing ideas with you on this forum.
Old 02-23-2011, 07:52 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 25
View dmpri's Photo Album My Photos

Josh, you have got to be the best person I have ever heard accept criticism to get better. I mean that as a compliment. Just keep what you are doing and you will have a very steep learning curve...good luck!
Old 02-23-2011, 08:21 PM   #16

Rewards Points: 428
Thanked 1,956 Times in 1,184 Posts
View WisePainter's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quality Painting View Post
To Wise Painter and Dunbar Painting. Thanks for the comment. I'm not sure exactly what you guys mean here, do you think the prices are to low, too high? Please explain I'm interested.
Explain what? That a 45 min. door shouldn't cost the same as a 12x12 room? How long have you been painting, if at all?

Quote:
I'm new to the business so I'm going to experiment with these specials to see how they work out, but just for the record, these are the same exact specials a very successful painter I know in northern California uses to generate new business. The goal of the specials is to literally "get in the front door" so you then have a chance to sell customers on more of your services. Getting people's attention and getting in front of them is the first step to any kind of sales.
So what if they want their $99 12x12 room and nothing more?
Old 02-24-2011, 07:33 AM   #17

Rewards Points: 3,012
Thanked 5,800 Times in 2,487 Posts
View PressurePros's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:

Hey Pressure Pros, just like to say that I've read some of your threads on market domination and the like, and I think they're awesome. I actually printed some of them just for educational purposes. To answer your question... this is just a special report designed to pre-sell my services to the homeowner. This is a trick I learned from a successful painter/business owner in Michigan. It's not only on my website, but every time I do an estimate for a home owner, they'll get a free report. Consumer guides are a commonly used and effective marketing tool. I'm using his report instead of my own because I've learned from previous sales and marketing experience that information like this coming from third person will be more credible and effective in selling my services than if I were personally to write a consumer guide like this, talking myself up.
Thanks, Josh, appreciate the kind words. I understand your logic and thought process, consumer guides are a good way to harvest contact information, but the reality is that sending someone away from your site is the greater evil of having your own report on-site. People have ADD when internet surfing. There is a strong chance they will follow more links and get further away from you or end up buying something from the other site. You should be reaping the benefit and at least be getting email addresses for your free report.

Old 02-24-2011, 08:30 AM   #18

View Colour Republic's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:

Thanks for the feedback Colour Republic. If anyone thinks that this is the wrong headline to use for any reason, I'd like to here what you think. It's experimental right now, and my main goal here is to capture people's attention, scare them a bit and get them to read the report. This is the exact headline that the painter in Michigan (who I mentioned) used. It may seem a bit ridiculous, but it's true, you can really can get sued or if you hire a painter without insurance, or if someone gets hurt on you property ect.
It's because scare tactics to me are a MASSIVE turn off, especially when stretching the truth. Yes I’m sure in very extreme cases you could get sued which may lead to you losing your home for financial reasons. But then you could apply that to almost anything.

"Did you know you that by crossing the road you could get hit by a bus and lose your life, your wife loses the house as you were the bread winner and you son develops a crack habit to try and cope with his loss"

Could the above happen? Yes. But in reality billions of people cross the road each day without incident.

It may be different over the pond but here in the UK for every 1 person you have calling you because of that headline you'd be turning another 20 away. It's a risky strategy IMO.

Yes you can include an article on the pitfalls of choosing the wrong contractor but to have it as a big headline and what seems to be a major part of your marketing would have me going elsewhere in a flash.

I would also get a better article as I think the one is quite poor, I would write one yourself without using scare tactics but level headed reasons. Or if you think it sounds more plausible coming from a third party then you need to back them up. "Andy Thompson - respected author and consultant in the painting industry" how is he respected by? I'd like to see sources. But as has already been mentioned you don't want to drive traffic away from your website.

I would also be cautious of developing a marketing strategy from someone who claims to be successful unless you know them personally, anybody can big themselves up from behind a computer, it would be much better to take advice from many sources and see what sits right with you.

Old 02-24-2011, 09:31 AM   #19
good ol boy's

Rewards Points: 152
View billy the kid's Photo Album My Photos

howdy

Old 02-24-2011, 01:42 PM   #20
A Brush Above

Rewards Points: 2,598
Thanked 3,573 Times in 1,861 Posts
View Paradigmzz's Photo Album My Photos

Just wondering if the Michigan painter you are refering to is named Alan, aka Michigan11...

Quote:
I wouldn't worry about it.This internet thing aint gonna last
Closed Thread