I hope I did this right - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > New Member Introductions

Old 04-26-2012, 10:02 AM   #1
Master Finisher

Rewards Points: 10
View Frankthepainter's Photo Album My Photos
Default I hope I did this right

Hello to all, I am really happy to have stumble on to this forum. I love learning and sharing about the finishing trades. I have been in the buissness of protecting and beautifying substrates since I was 18. I was a mechanic in the Navy but after 4 years of that I was sure of one thing I didnt want to do that anymore when I got out. Lucky for me most enlisted men learn two other jobs in the Navy. Cleaning and Painting be cause if you cant clean it you paint it. I served on a Mine Sweeper(John Wayne bought on for his personal yacht) and fell in love with this old wooden ship because the finished wood work on the mess deck. I love to get lost in the pursuit of trying to make a finish job perfect. I have never in my mind accomplished that goal but I have learned that if the client say they love what you done dont point out the things that only I can see. No matter if it painting, hanging rolled goods/vynl, green wood finishing or refinishing/perserving existing finishes. My journey start with buy a roller and a pan. I started by painting apartment turns. I knew i didn't know much and I learn somewhere Paint reps from Ici,sw,and Hirsh feilds help me alot. I know that the starting point to learnig is admiting you dont know. I tryed picking the brains of other painters when they were in the stores not very sucsefully. so i ran an ad in the paper for retired or semi retired painters. I told I would pay top dollar and do the work if they would share their knowldge. I some times only made 3 to 4 dollar for my efforts and know profit but I looked at it as paying tution, and then shortly there after I started to turn a profit.And made some life long freinds as well. I now share freely my knowldge with others for one reason, the better they are the stronger the trade is. Painters are often the one of the best paid trades for a reason in the end some one has to paint the building square. Well like I said I love this trade and strife to be great at it. Looking forward to sharing and learnig from a group of passionate painters and finishes.
Frankthepainter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Frankthepainter For This Useful Post:
mudbone (04-26-2012)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2012, 10:05 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 500
View Ramsden Painting's Photo Album My Photos

Welcome Frank, thanks for introducing yourself

Sent from my iPad using PaintTalk
Ramsden Painting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 10:24 AM   #3
RH

Rewards Points: 10,204
Thanked 15,353 Times in 8,040 Posts
View RH's Photo Album My Photos

Welcome to PT!
Dan

Groucho Marx
RH is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2012, 12:41 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 264
View HQP2005's Photo Album My Photos

Welcome to PT form NY!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
HQP2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 01:19 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,754
Thanked 2,064 Times in 1,356 Posts
View mudbone's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankthepainter View Post
Hello to all, I am really happy to have stumble on to this forum. I love learning and sharing about the finishing trades. I have been in the buissness of protecting and beautifying substrates since I was 18. I was a mechanic in the Navy but after 4 years of that I was sure of one thing I didnt want to do that anymore when I got out. Lucky for me most enlisted men learn two other jobs in the Navy. Cleaning and Painting be cause if you cant clean it you paint it. I served on a Mine Sweeper(John Wayne bought on for his personal yacht) and fell in love with this old wooden ship because the finished wood work on the mess deck. I love to get lost in the pursuit of trying to make a finish job perfect. I have never in my mind accomplished that goal but I have learned that if the client say they love what you done dont point out the things that only I can see. No matter if it painting, hanging rolled goods/vynl, green wood finishing or refinishing/perserving existing finishes. My journey start with buy a roller and a pan. I started by painting apartment turns. I knew i didn't know much and I learn somewhere Paint reps from Ici,sw,and Hirsh feilds help me alot. I know that the starting point to learnig is admiting you dont know. I tryed picking the brains of other painters when they were in the stores not very sucsefully. so i ran an ad in the paper for retired or semi retired painters. I told I would pay top dollar and do the work if they would share their knowldge. I some times only made 3 to 4 dollar for my efforts and know profit but I looked at it as paying tution, and then shortly there after I started to turn a profit.And made some life long freinds as well. I now share freely my knowldge with others for one reason, the better they are the stronger the trade is. Painters are often the one of the best paid trades for a reason in the end some one has to paint the building square. Well like I said I love this trade and strife to be great at it. Looking forward to sharing and learnig from a group of passionate painters and finishes.
Welcome!You seem to be sincere, but yet very" Frank" about it!
mudbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 05:45 PM   #6
Delco, Pa

Rewards Points: 502
View scottjr's Photo Album My Photos

Welcome Frank,
At least you were smart about learning the trade from someone with experience. Now a days people buy a roller and cover and call themselves pros. Stick around.
Welcome from the philly burbsn
scottjr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
learn -l = earn