I paint Glass - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > New Member Introductions

Old 05-19-2010, 03:23 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
View Cow Boy's Photo Album My Photos
Default I paint Glass

I work for a place that fabricates all kinds of glass. Bent Glass Design. At any rate I work in a R & D capacity at times in the field of paints for glass.

Many paints for glass claim to have UV stability, however many paints are of no use once they are laminated in between two glass plies.

Thus far in my experience only a handful of paints can be laimated and remain safe in terms of adhesion stability. Some paints will bond well to glass but fall appart once subjected to pummel testing inbetween two (or more) laminated glass plies ... Much like Car Windshiled glass. This is because while they have bonded to the glass they don't bond to the PVB or other interlayers used such as Duponts SGP 5000.

Sika makes a black primer paint that works but is not UV stable

Ferro makes a variety of fired on ceramic frit paints that work and are UV stable.

Plaid actually has a glass enamel that works, but I have no information on this products UV stability over time.

I am wondering if anyone else has any experience or insight in this field.

This is what I know doesn't work:

Glass Primers makes a great durrable glass paint HOWEVER, it does not hold up to any kind of laminated pummel testing.

US Paint also makes a great durable glass paint BUT just like the Glass Primes product it does not adhear to a laminated surface.

I am kind of at my wits end here.
Cow Boy is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
None