I'm from Montana - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > New Member Introductions

Old 02-01-2011, 06:48 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
View sorefeet's Photo Album My Photos
Default I'm from Montana

Hi guys, well I'm done paintin. Got about 35 years under my belt. Lots of commercial,residential and a whole bunch of industrial. Bridges,refineries,coal fired power plants,dams, smoke stacks. Sandblasted and coated. Done lots of traveling for the job and met a bunch of nice guys on the road.
If I had it to do again I wouldn't touch industrial, I'm poisoned pretty good from the solvents. They didn't have the saftey years ago that they got today, it's getting better but got a long way to go.
I got neuropathy from head to toe, thats nerve damage from the solvents. Every bucket I ever opened said may cause central nervous system damage. And it does and there is nothing you can do to fix it. Disability and pain pills the rest of your life. Sorry to be a bummer, just lettin the younger ones know from experience, stay away from solvents as much as you can. Never touch them if you can help it, or even turn down the job. They got enough latex and waterborne that you shouldn't have to mess with solvents.

Peace and be safe.
sorefeet is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sorefeet For This Useful Post:
Bender (02-01-2011), NextCoatings (02-01-2011), RCP (02-01-2011)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2011, 07:08 PM   #2
RCP

Rewards Points: 78
Thanked 4,803 Times in 3,011 Posts
View RCP's Photo Album My Photos

Welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear of your troubles, feel free to hang out here and offer advice or just enjoy the camaraderie here!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
RCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 07:09 PM   #3
Lambrecht Painting

Rewards Points: 1,094
Thanked 1,307 Times in 656 Posts
View Lambrecht's Photo Album My Photos

Welcome. Sorry to hear about your condition. Good advice for the newbies to the biz. Industrial painting is hands down the nastiest and most health hazardous, but there are also residential and commercial coatings that are just as bad. Safety is key.
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2011, 07:17 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000
Thanked 5,929 Times in 3,434 Posts
View vermontpainter's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorefeet View Post
Hi guys, well I'm done paintin. Got about 35 years under my belt. Lots of commercial,residential and a whole bunch of industrial. Bridges,refineries,coal fired power plants,dams, smoke stacks. Sandblasted and coated. Done lots of traveling for the job and met a bunch of nice guys on the road.
If I had it to do again I wouldn't touch industrial, I'm poisoned pretty good from the solvents. They didn't have the saftey years ago that they got today, it's getting better but got a long way to go.
I got neuropathy from head to toe, thats nerve damage from the solvents. Every bucket I ever opened said may cause central nervous system damage. And it does and there is nothing you can do to fix it. Disability and pain pills the rest of your life. Sorry to be a bummer, just lettin the younger ones know from experience, stay away from solvents as much as you can. Never touch them if you can help it, or even turn down the job. They got enough latex and waterborne that you shouldn't have to mess with solvents.

Peace and be safe.
Welcome. Thats some great advice. Its beautiful country out there in Montana.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
vermontpainter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to vermontpainter For This Useful Post:
Bender (02-01-2011)
Old 02-01-2011, 08:03 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,000
Thanked 1,031 Times in 753 Posts
View johnpaint's Photo Album My Photos

Thanks man for you advise, and welcome

Never argue with a fool - they will drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
johnpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 08:29 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,486
Thanked 6,705 Times in 4,460 Posts
View Workaholic's Photo Album My Photos

Welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear what happened to you.

I think that the WB will take its toll on a person too, we dabble in chemicals.
Workaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 09:02 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 8
Thanked 3,481 Times in 1,798 Posts
View Bender's Photo Album My Photos

Howdy sore
Its nice to talk with the old hands. I hope you contribute.

Quote:
Originally Posted by work
I think that the WB will take its toll on a person too, we dabble in chemicals.
I wonder this as well.

Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 09:30 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,574
Thanked 5,171 Times in 2,980 Posts
View straight_lines's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via Yahoo to straight_lines

Welcome Sorefeet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
Howdy sore
Its nice to talk with the old hands. I hope you contribute.

I wonder this as well.
I think as it is with a lot of these chemicals it takes so long to find out the long term effects that by they time we do everyone is pretty much been exposed to the point of no return.

Primer makes everything better...
straight_lines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 09:57 PM   #9
The Man In The Arena

Rewards Points: 150
View NextCoatings's Photo Album My Photos

"The Last Best Place"...someday will be my second home. Hope you can still handle a fishing pole and a rifle...necessary tools for retirement. Thanks for being a link in the chain of Great Americans!
NextCoatings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 04:48 PM   #10

Wow, thanks guys nice talkin to some guys that know where I'm comin from.

Montana is awesome, been here 30 years and I can't leave. The wide open space ,the low population, winters are a little long sometimes but the rest of the year makes up for it a hundred times over. Low humidity too. I do need to do some fishing, I can throw a rock to the Yellowstone river. Got hooked on building a hot rod for about 3 years still not done. Thanks and peace be safe
Old 02-02-2011, 04:56 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 25
View Brett MCP's Photo Album My Photos

Never touched the solvents. Stayed with the waterborn here myself. too many have gotten insolvent on the solvents and I aint joining them in that camp.
Old 02-02-2011, 06:08 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 258
View sage's Photo Album My Photos

Welcome to the board.
Wow, Is the Neuroapothy the same as diabetics experience?
You never know what life might offer.
Thanks for sharing.
Sage
sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 10:52 AM   #13

I think neuropathy is about all the same you just get it from many things.

Neuropathy and solvents are a no no to talk to doctors about. You can't prove the solvents hurt you, but everyone knows it did. So workers comp tried to blame it on BEER. Ever seen whats in you own medical records? One doctor said I drank a case of beer every day for 15 years. How did I ever work. One said I own a ranch. I rent a small 100 year old livable shack that just go insulation and storm windows this year.
I was the first to use epoxy with the outfit I worked for in Chicago and I remember the old boss saying way back then "boy we don't know what this stuff will do to us and nobody will know for probably 25 years, we are guinea pigs". Then he said the best healer for cuts was M.E.K. go figure. Apprentice didn't have your own respirator you shared but mostly didn't use one. Never did get a set of ear plugs from that company. My ears ring loud 24/7. The solvents go to your bones too. I got a deteriorating spine both my brothers are sick from painting and lots of the older guys I worked with have all the same things from the solvents lots of neuropathy. In my opinion there has been quite the coverup about chemicals in the work place. Painters who have handled these solvents have been kept in the dark for a long time.
Dow and Monsanto know what they have done. Maybe we are just collateral damage for the infrastructure. Peace and work safe
Old 02-03-2011, 04:43 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 1,114
Thanked 9,545 Times in 5,411 Posts
View CApainter's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorefeet View Post
I think neuropathy is about all the same you just get it from many things.

Neuropathy and solvents are a no no to talk to doctors about. You can't prove the solvents hurt you, but everyone knows it did. So workers comp tried to blame it on BEER. Ever seen whats in you own medical records? One doctor said I drank a case of beer every day for 15 years. How did I ever work. One said I own a ranch. I rent a small 100 year old livable shack that just go insulation and storm windows this year.
I was the first to use epoxy with the outfit I worked for in Chicago and I remember the old boss saying way back then "boy we don't know what this stuff will do to us and nobody will know for probably 25 years, we are guinea pigs". Then he said the best healer for cuts was M.E.K. go figure. Apprentice didn't have your own respirator you shared but mostly didn't use one. Never did get a set of ear plugs from that company. My ears ring loud 24/7. The solvents go to your bones too. I got a deteriorating spine both my brothers are sick from painting and lots of the older guys I worked with have all the same things from the solvents lots of neuropathy. In my opinion there has been quite the coverup about chemicals in the work place. Painters who have handled these solvents have been kept in the dark for a long time.
Dow and Monsanto know what they have done. Maybe we are just collateral damage for the infrastructure. Peace and work safe
Sorry you had to experience the Dark Ages of painting. I think alot of work related illness in the painting trade, is also due to the peer pressure from the so called "real men" that harass others for using, or wanting to use the recommended protective equipment. It takes a smart individual to ignore the macho BS, but it's hard to avoid them when the trades are rife with these nuckleheads. Hopefully the new generation of workers will heed your advice.

Also, all workers have the rights to the information provided in the Material Data Sheets of almost any chemical product. We all should understand the necessary precautions when working with these substances.

Thanks for the warning sorefeet.

Last edited by CApainter; 02-03-2011 at 04:45 PM.. Reason: 6th grade reading and writing level.
CApainter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 09:13 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 75
View faux's Photo Album My Photos

God Bless you Brother

faux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 03:02 AM   #16
Painting & More

Rewards Points: 532
View A+HomeWork's Photo Album My Photos

Welcome.

Did you know these things were affecting you all those years and keep going, or did you find out the effects after it was too late?

Was it like smoking, where you knew it was bad, just didn't know how bad until it was too late, or...?

A+HomeWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 09:09 AM   #17
A Brush Above

Rewards Points: 2,598
Thanked 3,573 Times in 1,861 Posts
View Paradigmzz's Photo Album My Photos

Welcome, sorry about your problems...

Quote:
I wouldn't worry about it.This internet thing aint gonna last
Paradigmzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 05:30 PM   #18

I found out after it was way too late about the neuropathy. Safety was lax and gungho (stupid) was big. The pain in my feet was just getting worse and worse. For 5 years doctors would not say a word. They knew what was going on but didn't want to get involved. Not one would utter the word neuropathy. Between workers comp and big pharma and the chemical companies to talk about solvent poisoning is taboo. Finally one old doc that was retiring said "you got neuropathy". He blamed it on beer, so I quit drinking for 3 years, it only got worse,because I was still bathing in solvents. But at least I had a word "neuropathy" that I could study and find out what happened to me. And it turns out a pretty big conspiracy actually. The chemical companies and paint companies know a hell of a lot more than they let on. They have wounded and killed no telling how many painters over the years.
Peace and work safe

Tags
None