I'm new! What do I do? - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > New Member Introductions

Old 01-12-2011, 09:53 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
View dewaldd21's Photo Album My Photos
Default I'm new! What do I do?

Hi everybody. My name is Dan and I'm new to Paint talk, and I'm also new to the painting industry. I enjoy painting and I feel like I do a great job. I really want to get into my own business but I'm not sure where to start. I have the skills and some of the equipment to do interior painting, drywall patchwork and trim. I am also pretty confident in my ability to do faux finishes.

How do I start and where do I get the customer base from? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

-Dan
dewaldd21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2011, 10:01 AM   #2
RCP

Rewards Points: 78
Thanked 4,804 Times in 3,011 Posts
View RCP's Photo Album My Photos

Welcome to the forum.
I moved your post to the Introductions thread. A lot of guys "enjoy painting and do a great job". Making it work as a business is a whole different thing.
Have you worked for another painter before?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by RCP; 01-12-2011 at 10:08 AM..
RCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 10:03 AM   #3
Paint Store Owner

Rewards Points: 2,000
Thanked 2,995 Times in 1,802 Posts
View NCPaint1's Photo Album My Photos

There are many great posts here about starting a business. Im sure one of the mods will gladly link numerous posts to help you out. You can also search and find good info.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
NCPaint1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NCPaint1 For This Useful Post:
ewingpainting.net (01-12-2011)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2011, 10:06 AM   #4
RCP

Rewards Points: 78
Thanked 4,804 Times in 3,011 Posts
View RCP's Photo Album My Photos

Yep, like this one.
https://www.painttalk.com/f2/new-memb...ntractor-2879/

RCP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RCP For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2011, 10:54 AM   #5

Thanked 1,028 Times in 672 Posts
View plainpainter's Photo Album My Photos

I got some advice for ya.....Run, Forest, Run!!!!!

Where the professionals go to make sure Harry homeowner isn't getting too many quotes!
plainpainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 11:02 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,486
Thanked 6,705 Times in 4,460 Posts
View Workaholic's Photo Album My Photos

Find out about a license, insurance, WC, figure out the cost to be legit and then come up with a business name, start marketing and then become a salesman.

Where did you gain your experience? Many people decide to become a PC and many close up shop before the first year is behind them, it is a lot more than just having some equipment and using it. Use the search feature and read up on the pitfalls. Good Luck and welcome to the forum.
Workaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Workaholic For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2011, 11:07 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workaholic View Post
Find out about a license, insurance, WC, figure out the cost to be legit and then come up with a business name, start marketing and then become a salesman.

Where did you gain your experience? Many people decide to become a PC and many close up shop before the first year is behind them, it is a lot more than just having some equipment and using it. Use the search feature and read up on the pitfalls. Good Luck and welcome to the forum.
Don't be a party pooper, Sean, he can always become a lowballing bottom feeding hack like 85% painters out there. He don't need no steenking ins, wc, license, rrp - none of it. He just needs to work hard, give a great job, for a low price - cash preferably.

Where the professionals go to make sure Harry homeowner isn't getting too many quotes!
Old 01-12-2011, 11:31 AM   #8
dvp

Rewards Points: 75
View dvp's Photo Album My Photos

best advice i could give would be to find a successful company and go to work for them for a few years and learn what they know. in reality they will be paying you to learn what you need to know to run a successful business for yourself.
dvp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dvp For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2011, 11:53 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 500
View dubinpainting's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by plainpainter View Post
Don't be a party pooper, Sean, he can always become a lowballing bottom feeding hack like 85% painters out there. He don't need no steenking ins, wc, license, rrp - none of it. He just needs to work hard, give a great job, for a low price - cash preferably.
If youíre so against low balers and illegitimate painting contractors then why donít you educate people when they ask for help instead of leaving some smart ass remark? Itís our job as (professional painters) to inform new contractors and home owners about these kind of things. How do you expect anything to change if you donít do anything to change it!!!! I donít know about you but painting is my carrier my way of feeding my family, I want to inform people on how not to end up like 85% of painters. The best thing I can do is share what works for me and what doesnít work and stop being a smart ass no it all!!!!!
dubinpainting is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dubinpainting For This Useful Post:
ewingpainting.net (01-12-2011), NCPaint1 (01-12-2011)
Old 01-12-2011, 12:08 PM   #10
Almost Gone

Rewards Points: 516
Thanked 6,377 Times in 3,759 Posts
View TJ Paint's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewaldd21 View Post
Hi everybody. My name is Dan and I'm new to Paint talk, and I'm also new to the painting industry. I enjoy painting and I feel like I do a great job. I really want to get into my own business but I'm not sure where to start. I have the skills and some of the equipment to do interior painting, drywall patchwork and trim. I am also pretty confident in my ability to do faux finishes.

How do I start and where do I get the customer base from? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

-Dan
Don't ask me dude. Been doing this 10+ yrs and still trying to figure it out.

All earnestness aside, you might want to seriously consider working for an established painting company for awhile. This would do a few important things. You would begin to understand components of a functioning paint contractor business. But, probably more importantly, you would learn new and improve on skills you already have.

There may be things about painting you don't know you didn't know. If you want to have a solid grasp on the basic foundational stuff, there probably isn't a better way. Where would you rather find out you are over your head, on one of your own jobs where you are actually damaging somebodies property instead of adding value, or working for somebody else, where you can get instruction on how to do it right?

Last edited by TJ Paint; 01-12-2011 at 12:15 PM..
TJ Paint is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TJ Paint For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2011, 12:19 PM   #11
Paint to fish

Rewards Points: 16
Thanked 5,145 Times in 2,802 Posts
View DeanV's Photo Album My Photos

First, find out if licensing is required in your area. If so, take the classes and the test. Set up and LLC or S-Corp in the business name. Get insurance. If you are going to work on homes built before 1978, you will need to get certified by the EPA to be able to work in those homes as they may have lead paint (RRP).

Once all that is done, then it is time to start finding work.
DeanV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DeanV For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2011, 12:35 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 2,658
Thanked 6,792 Times in 4,040 Posts
View ewingpainting.net's Photo Album My Photos

I remember my 2nd year into painting. I thought at the time I could start my own business. I ended up get to busy to do my own thing cause my pay rate would increase and felt respect from the paint contractors I worked for. 13 years later I started Ewing Painting. I'm so glad I didn't start my own gig then. I didn't realize how much there is to learn in this industry. Like understanding coatings, what coating is best for each surface, what the right prep for that surface, application methods, using the proper tools, using them correctly, running crews, job safety, how to be productive, and most important how to create business, not to mention all the other business aspects of it. Just having the skill is not enough, I was running a crew within 4 years of painting. I acquired the skill fast. Looking back I wasn't nearly ready to start my own gig as I thought and am very fortunate I didn't.
Good luck in your endeavor
ewingpainting.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 12:48 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubinpainting View Post
If youíre so against low balers and illegitimate painting contractors then why donít you educate people when they ask for help instead of leaving some smart ass remark? Itís our job as (professional painters) to inform new contractors and home owners about these kind of things. How do you expect anything to change if you donít do anything to change it!!!! I donít know about you but painting is my carrier my way of feeding my family, I want to inform people on how not to end up like 85% of painters. The best thing I can do is share what works for me and what doesnít work and stop being a smart ass no it all!!!!!
LOL - let me know how that Informing bit works out for ya. It's our job? Who says? It's my experience that some guys have a business like attitude and the remainder don't. You can't change that. What I do is preaching to the choir, keep the choir together. I have no intention of informing nobody, especially newcomers. Keep sharing away - sure that will work wonders for your business.

Old 01-12-2011, 01:05 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 2,658
Thanked 6,792 Times in 4,040 Posts
View ewingpainting.net's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by plainpainter View Post
LOL - let me know how that Informing bit works out for ya. It's our job? Who says? It's my experience that some guys have a business like attitude and the remainder don't. You can't change that. What I do is preaching to the choir, keep the choir together. I have no intention of informing nobody, especially newcomers. Keep sharing away - sure that will work wonders for your business.
That's just asinineing. You and WP need to pm each other about it
ewingpainting.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 01:46 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 582
View CliffK's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:

-Dan
Dan,
Lots of sound advice here. You don't mention what the alternative may be? Do you have a family to consider?
Many paint contractors I run into these days are people who unfortunately have failed at something else, they are handy and need to find a way to make a living. I have spent my life in the business of painting. I am third generation. I have done well, have a nice small business and a nice client base-no regrets. If I had it to do all over again starting out TODAY I most likely would not. I have seen the profit margin decrease greatly over the past decade or so. Increased competition(these days a "feeding frenzy") along with increased overhead costs are big factors. Think about covering yourself with a health insurance plan and setting up a pension. If you have employees, think about the same for them. It is becoming almost undoable in our market. We are competing with other "contractors" who do not figure for these type of expenses and you will most likely be as well. I even see what appears to be quality companies with 5 trucks and 12 men employed only to learn that only 1 or 2 of them are "on the books". The average person has no idea the cost of payroll expenses. They get chased around by Worker's Comp, Sales Tax, & the IRS. Now probably the EPA as well. Somehow they manage to stay ahead of them. They aren't bad guys, they are just trying to survive and pay their mortgage. Trying to find a way to sell a job a little cheaper than the next guy because they desperately need the work, but it has taken it's toll on the industry. I wish you the best. There is big difference between painting some trim for a neighbor or family member, having them love it and making a weeks pay at the same time and owning, operating and running a consistently successful paint contracting business-especially in these times. Think long and hard.
CliffK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CliffK For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2011, 02:02 PM   #16
"Member"

Thanked 5,705 Times in 3,060 Posts
View NEPS.US's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:

-Dan
Welcome Dan!

First bit of advice I can offer is to stop cheering for the Bills. They are terrible.
NEPS.US is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 02:29 PM   #17
Lambrecht Painting

Rewards Points: 1,094
Thanked 1,307 Times in 656 Posts
View Lambrecht's Photo Album My Photos

Welcome Dan, you have been giving some good advice here. One thing many people who go into business for themselves do not consider is the amount of time that you have to put into it. Be prepared to work harder and longer hours than ever before. Take on stresses that at times seem overwhelming and all consuming that include personal, business, and financial. Educate yourself as much as you can. Most importantly, keep positive! Good luck.
NEPS.US (01-12-2011)

Tags
None