introduction 4 chris..he said start here - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > New Member Introductions

Old 06-17-2009, 09:52 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25
View annrob's Photo Album My Photos
Default introduction 4 chris..he said start here

i am the wife of a painter, lost my job due to downsizing of company, he wants me to be his secretary now......i am finding out that it is HARD to walk into a room and make it an office...i don"t know where to begin he would like for me to take calls organize his notes, reciepts, invoices any and all paperwork, i have never been much of a self motivator but really want to help him out now that he is the money maker and i am just geting unemployment.

i have beeen checking out some of the posts in here.....i realize we dont "own" our business.....that he just owns a job!!!
annrob is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2009, 10:12 AM   #2
RCP

Rewards Points: 78
Thanked 4,803 Times in 3,011 Posts
View RCP's Photo Album My Photos

Admitting you need help is the first step! Lots of good info here, read up and post when you have question. I am the wife of a painter too!
look for a SCORE group near you. Sounds like you really need some help just getting focused and organized. Feel free to contact me by email, click on the link below my name.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
RCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 11:25 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,658
Thanked 6,792 Times in 4,040 Posts
View ewingpainting.net's Photo Album My Photos

Welcome from Cali.
I am a painter of a wife!

My wife used to be a barber (thats were i meet her). At that time I was vping for another company. 3 year into our marriage we decided she could be a stay at home mom and she was for the next 6 or so years.
THEN! I started my own painting business. I told my wife "learn the office stuff or we will eventually have to hire someone". She went to a adult computer school, I have showed her many of my corrupt ways. I snap my fingers and she's on it. I feel like the Don sometimes. JK!
It sound to me of what I read in your post, you and your mate are alto like my wife and I. She to is not motivated (in this business). Other than book keeping and organizing the office (which is HUGE!). All the other stuff isn't really a passion of hers. She just not a business orientated person and that is fine. We just recently had a conversation about it. We are deciding to bring in our 20 year old daughter and start training her. I believe she will be great at it and a wonderful asset to EPI. Hopefully, help take the load off my back. Make sure this is what you want to do, cause if it's not . It's a fun business if you enjoy it and learning it will be easier.

Last edited by ewingpainting.net; 06-17-2009 at 11:28 AM..
ewingpainting.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2009, 07:22 AM   #4

thanks so much for the replys....my husband and i have ran a restraunt together, roofed together.....and then i got an office administration job with a well known company in our town.........He started painting for some local contractors 5 years ago when i started my new job. painting was was he has done since he was 18..(painted water towers, substations, oil rigs, barges, and electric line towers all over the U.S.) He hates to paint but knows to much,,,he has ran crews 4-ever for other companys. When he started painting for the contractors we didn't realize we would get so many jobs. sounds awful but we have to turn work down for some great prospecting return customers for not being able to get to there work. He always try to put customers in order, yet some of our contractors need it NOW..

To answer the question " am i sure i want to do this?"

Yes!! my husband is a GREAT painter and he has managed to grow the business so much on his own with just his notebook and calculator in his truck. along with the computer in his head. Thats where the problem is. Im not sure how to try to get things organized into our office, rather then his truck, notebook, head.

both of you sound like you know what i am trying to accomplish..."the office side."

he paints for the business 2......But that dang phone of his driving him nuts, any ideas...u think i could take and screen calls and then i call him with the quick question and him reply and him not have to be the professional and talk for 10 min.

also supplies always missing, generaly speaking....any ideas of setting up the crew guys with a bucket , and sending them on way with each there own and have check in check out... i think it sounds great but hubby not sure if it would be a bigger hassel in the end.

getting long i quit for now ...check back when kids get in pool!
Old 06-19-2009, 09:48 AM   #5
RCP

If your husband is working with GC's, they are used to reaching him when they need to.
I would send out a letter to all saying something to the effect.
"In an effort to better serve our customers, *** painting has added a new member to the staff, Ann *** will available to blah, blah," etc.
If he gets a lot of calls from new customers, maybe set up call forwarding.
For this to work though, you have to available, professional and be able to answer questions. You need to be able the answer the phone at home "*** Painting", not hello, or let kids answer.
Set up a call sheet to track who called and what needs to be done. Maybe have hubby call you at a certain time once or twice a day to review.

As far as the supplies, are the guys just careless and leave them at job site or taking them home or ??

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by RCP; 06-19-2009 at 09:50 AM..
Old 06-19-2009, 12:22 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by annrob View Post
along with the computer in his head. Thats where the problem is. Im not sure how to try to get things organized into our office, rather then his truck, notebook, head.
This is a huge issue. I worked for a painter for over a decade (my mentor). He ran his biz the same way. He still did all his estimates, billing by hand, (were talking huge contracts). Until we got a office manager. Job costing and creating a P&L was imposable. Because he wouldn't release info. This was painful!!!!!!! Now he is seeing the importance of it and has been PAYING the price of it.
Your company may grow, more jobs, more employee's, but it will be unmanageable and out of your control until he release all that info. You will be amazed when he let it go, tons of info. If he doesn't then you mine as well get a margarita and join the kids in the pool.

Like Chris said, you don't want to mess with the incoming calls. Other than having a office line. He has been the face and the voice and should be.
I wouldn't mess with the operations of the field, let him do that. He has been doing it, its working and you don't want to mess that up. And im sure it can use some fine tuning like us all.
There are 2 worlds in any business. 1. The field. 2. The office. You should focus on one and he on the other.
Now get back to the kids in the pool, i think one is holding the other under the water.

Last edited by ewingpainting.net; 06-19-2009 at 05:41 PM..
Old 06-19-2009, 12:34 PM   #7

Quote:
also supplies always missing, generaly speaking...
General speaking...
Kick your employee's in the ass. And fire the 1st guy that you catch being careless or stealing. NO MATTER who it is. Got get the message out that this is a business not a free for all.

Last edited by ewingpainting.net; 06-19-2009 at 05:41 PM..
Old 06-19-2009, 12:41 PM   #8

May be have a meeting with them 1st. Warning them all.

Last edited by ewingpainting.net; 06-19-2009 at 05:40 PM..
Old 06-20-2009, 09:45 AM   #9

once again thanks for the response...i actually feel that i "learnt" someting from what u said. I guess i will start with just gettting the office stuff organized. Let him continue with dealing with the calls until he cannot handle it anymore. i have lots that i can help with as far as keeping records better. i know that once that i start doing these things then more and more will follow once he realizes how much i can take away from he that makes it easier for him. also now that i am a member i know that "i have people" that i can get great advice from that understands what i'm doing...i look forward to being able to hear problems that he has ran into and not know what or how to deal with and them me being able to respond with data that you all have offered me. 'till next time......Have a Great one or two!!

You all will be hearing from me again and again!!

Oh yeah i want to add a quote that my husband always says!!

"Next time you assume something, assume your assumption is wrong"

(I should have followed this rule when i assumed "Chris" was a "Him"
Old 06-20-2009, 10:45 AM   #10
RCP

Not sure how your company is set up, sole prop, Llc or corp, no matter what, accurate record keeping is a must.
I used to use these until I learned Quickbooks.
It sounds like you may have some office/record keeping experience?
If not, I would suggest you look at local college, tech school, business center, SCORE, every town has some place where they offer classes.

And don't worry, you are not the first to make that assumption!

Old 06-20-2009, 01:30 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 75
View poet-1's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
.....i realize we dont "own" our business.....that he just owns a job!!!
Welcome.

Sometimes a business is just a bigger job with more responsibilities.

Having a steady, profitable job is nice --though one has to work hard for one's money. Having a successful, self-running business is nicer --one now is letting one's money do all the work.

All best.
poet-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 08:04 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCP View Post
Not sure how your company is set up, sole prop, Llc or corp ... It sounds like you may have some office/record keeping experience?
us either at this moment....we are known as "Roberts' Painting" We use the dome books for tracking EVERYTHING.(This to help our accountant (H&R Block)when we file our taxes) We have spoken to a different accountant and wanting to figure out how to go LLC or INC. not sure yet what will be the best??

The goal is to become an actual business, then i hope to be doing all of those things too. If i cannot figure out the things that i need to do for the company business side, i will take classes..

Yes i have some experience in local factory office's.... my titles have been....Scheduler, Buyer, Receptionist, and Supply Chain Addmistrator, I have had many jobs and titles. I feel that i can do anything , the problem is that with all of these jobs there was already a system and i just needed to improve them, or atleast adjust for my own style. i am motivated and hard working, but not a self motivator. I can do what is told and add to or go beyond , but not start it. I get to overwhelmed with starting from nothing or nowhere. Like i have said where we have gotten and how we have made it here is beyond me.... It is from the head of my other 1/2.
Old 06-22-2009, 09:10 AM   #13

Does your state require a Lic and or bond?
Do you carry GL, WC?
H&R bock????
You need a lic enrolled agent.
As far as getting inc.ed. It's realy on how you want to run your business. If you were doing big contract work. I would go with a eather a s corp or a LLC. I am a S corp. If your sales are under 100,00 a year and you guys are happy with that. Then keep it a SP. Look forward 5,10 years from now. What is your guys dream? How do you see your business? Do you see your business running a few guys or 25 pluse? Do a search here on LLC/Corp. I believe there are some good threads on this.
Sounds to me you got your work cut out.
Old 06-23-2009, 11:43 AM   #14

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewingpainting.net View Post
Does your state require a Lic and or bond?
Do you carry GL, WC?
H&R bock????
You need a lic enrolled agent.
As far as getting inc.ed. It's realy on how you want to run your business. If you were doing big contract work. I would go with a eather a s corp or a LLC. I am a S corp. If your sales are under 100,00 a year and you guys are happy with that. Then keep it a SP. Look forward 5,10 years from now. What is your guys dream? How do you see your business? Do you see your business running a few guys or 25 pluse? Do a search here on LLC/Corp. I believe there are some good threads on this.
Sounds to me you got your work cut out.

Yeah, H&R Block.....We take them in all our paperwork..she goes with it.
We spoke to many on the LLc, been tolld that is not for us. we our looking at Corp. We now have from 8-15 employees(7 are part-timers).
We have just been 1099 them . this is what he wants we want to pay in there taxes each week, also offer work comp,etc.. "REAL BUSINESS" (you know what i mean)
Our sales our over 100,000 and not happy want them to exceed , 200,000 this year. Now u can see why my husband wants me to get a grip..
We have talked to an accountant, but finding time for my husband to go in with is a nightmare. i see our business with lots of potential to grow, we will one day be a million dollar business. we want to see trucks all over the U.S. with our name and logo, 50 plus employees.

YES, i do have lots of work ahead of me, but that atleast it is for us instead of a factory!!
Old 06-23-2009, 05:56 PM   #15
The Lurker

Rewards Points: 2,000
View MAK-Deco's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Yeah, H&R Block.....We take them in all our paperwork..she goes with it.
We spoke to many on the LLc, been tolld that is not for us. we our looking at Corp. We now have from 8-15 employees(7 are part-timers).
We have just been 1099 them . this is what he wants we want to pay in there taxes each week, also offer work comp,etc.. "REAL BUSINESS" (you know what i mean)
Our sales our over 100,000 and not happy want them to exceed , 200,000 this year. Now u can see why my husband wants me to get a grip..
We have talked to an accountant, but finding time for my husband to go in with is a nightmare. i see our business with lots of potential to grow, we will one day be a million dollar business. we want to see trucks all over the U.S. with our name and logo, 50 plus employees.

YES, i do have lots of work ahead of me, but that atleast it is for us instead of a factory!!
not sure what the 1099 rules are in IN but in IL you would would getting in a whole lot of trouble doing things that way

MAK-Deco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 07:11 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK-Deco View Post
not sure what the 1099 rules are in IN but in IL you would would getting in a whole lot of trouble doing things that way

Not sure what they are either, but surely H&r Block wouldn't be doing something illegal. How can we get in trouble for it. ???
Old 06-23-2009, 07:31 PM   #17
RCP

Quote:
Not sure what they are either, but surely H&r Block wouldn't be doing something illegal. How can we get in trouble for it. ???
H and R only files what you tell them. You seriously need to make an appointment with an accountant and a lawyer.
From the information you have given, you can be held responsible for back taxes, Unemployment insurance, Workmans Comp.
You can pay a 1099 up to a certain amount (600?).
See here for more
Most states have site you can go to set up business name, register with state, etc.
Indiana State

Last edited by RCP; 06-23-2009 at 07:33 PM..
Old 06-23-2009, 08:05 PM   #18

Thanks chris i was just checking these sights out..........i guess i have more work to do NOW... in the past i have always had an upscale career that we took out extra taxes on my paycheck to cover taxes that he didin't pay in all year, this year is going to be rough since i am drawing unemployment. i will gewt with this accountant sooner than later.
Old 06-23-2009, 08:16 PM   #19
RCP

There is a lot good info to be had here, but what you need is so specific and important to you. A relationship with acct and lawyer will help to grow your business. Try to find an acct that also offers payroll services.
Good Luck!

Old 06-23-2009, 08:21 PM   #20

Think of it this way, since you are going to be inc.ed. You are starting a new business build it right. Dont think you have to fix it. Just start your new business and the old will desolve on it's own. And GET WC & INS or you will be banned from this site!!!!
You never gave a ans. For my lic question. Do you need one for your state? If so, do you have it?

Tags
None