Long time lurker - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > New Member Introductions

Closed Thread

Old 07-09-2011, 03:39 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 530
View Gibberish45's Photo Album My Photos
Default Long time lurker

Hi all.

I'm a self-employed painter in Richmond, VA. Been painting 5 years and on my own for 3 1/2. I started at the bottom of the barrel spraying low income apartments. Taught myself how to paint by hand on a couple small projects for family and friends (along with a lot of internet reading) I try really hard to make up for my relative lack of experience through extensive research and attention to detail. I still paint apartments but continue to expand my services yearly through constant education.

I have lurked this site since before I went off on my own and I could never explain how much time and money you guys have saved me. I prefer to learn from other people's experience/mistakes whenever possible and I'm happy to say I have yet to have any major coating failure or disaster jobs.

I decided it was finally time to register and post because I have had more questions than usual and in lurking saw a few threads I would have liked to chime in on.

I also am not easily offended which should probably be a general qualification for posting on PT.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2011, 05:48 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,548
Thanked 3,414 Times in 1,783 Posts
View Ole34's Photo Album My Photos

so you had a total of a year and a half painting experience before you went solo an now you want to learn from our HARD EARNED mistakes to better yourself ???? .............lol wow.......im gonna cut you some slack since its your introduction

welcome aboard !
Old 07-09-2011, 06:03 PM   #3
A Brush Above

Rewards Points: 2,598
Thanked 3,573 Times in 1,861 Posts
View Paradigmzz's Photo Album My Photos

Don't mind ole. He really is a sweetheart pretending to have a stick up his keester. Ask him how to paint a door blindfolded, he really is quite talented.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Quote:
I wouldn't worry about it.This internet thing aint gonna last
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2011, 06:16 PM   #4
P&D Trainer & Assessor

Rewards Points: 510
View pacificpainters.com's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via Skype™ to pacificpainters.com

Welcome aboard, in Australia the apprenticeship takes three to four years to achieve a Certificate III in Painting & Decorating, that is the qualification required to work in the industry.

You have worked in the industry for five years that is longer then an apprentice and I am sure you have learned a lot from that. Even though most of it was on your own you no doubt had plenty of advice and help from experienced painters so I reckon you have earned your stripes.

It was a great idea to join the forum and I hope you will benefit from the comments of the old dogs.

I wish you all the best in your career, I have been in the game for over 23 years and teaching the trade for 13 years. I have learned plenty from some of the comments on this site, and Ole has some great stuff to teach as well. You will warm to him, I am sure.
Old 07-09-2011, 07:50 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 264
View Ace Painting's Photo Album My Photos

Welcome.
Old 07-09-2011, 08:01 PM   #6
RCP

Rewards Points: 78
Thanked 4,803 Times in 3,011 Posts
View RCP's Photo Album My Photos

Nice intro, look forward to your posts!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-09-2011, 08:04 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,486
Thanked 6,705 Times in 4,460 Posts
View Workaholic's Photo Album My Photos

Welcome to the magical world of PT.
Old 07-09-2011, 08:16 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,574
Thanked 5,171 Times in 2,980 Posts
View straight_lines's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via Yahoo to straight_lines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibberish45 View Post
I also am not easily offended which should probably be a general qualification for posting on PT.
You have been lurking a while haven't you.

Primer makes everything better...
Old 07-09-2011, 09:22 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 500
View Capt-sheetrock's Photo Album My Photos

Welcome,,, and if its any consolation,,,, you should have an easier time than someone with sheetrock in their name. If I can hang, your gonna do fine.

Who is John Galt ??
Old 07-09-2011, 09:29 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 530
View Gibberish45's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by straight_lines View Post
You have been lurking a while haven't you.

Yes about 4 years I expected some grief about my early entry into the contracting world as most of the times it results in poor work and lowball prices.

But, it doesn't have to be this way. This is the information age, the knowledge is out there, you just have to desire to find it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole34
so you had a total of a year and a half painting experience before you went solo an now you want to learn from our HARD EARNED mistakes to better yourself ????
This forum is all about sharing info with professional contractors to improve overall performance and minimize/eliminate mistakes. I know it's frustrating to see a young guy jump in without "paying his dues" but I have just utilized the forum to the fullest and it has made me successful.

Don't sweat it too much, I'm only one guy and I'm not getting rich....yet

Last edited by Gibberish45; 07-09-2011 at 09:39 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Gibberish45 For This Useful Post:
pacificpainters.com (07-10-2011)
Old 07-09-2011, 09:38 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 500
View Capt-sheetrock's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Yes about 4 years I expected some grief about my early entry into the contracting world as most of the times it results in poor work and lowball prices.

But, it doesn't have to be this way. This is the information age, the knowledge is out there, you just have to desire to find it.
I've been at this for years,,, poor work and lowball prices have nothing to do with how long you been at it!!!

Who is John Galt ??
Old 07-09-2011, 10:20 PM   #12
Shazaam!

Rewards Points: 604
View Different Strokes's Photo Album My Photos

Welcome.
Old 07-10-2011, 12:17 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 570
View mr.fixit's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:

This forum is all about sharing info with professional contractors to improve overall performance and minimize/eliminate mistakes. I know it's frustrating to see a young guy jump in without "paying his dues" but I have just utilized the forum to the fullest and it has made me successful.

Don't sweat it too much, I'm only one guy and I'm not getting rich....yet
and busting chops, welcome

The Following User Says Thank You to mr.fixit For This Useful Post:
pacificpainters.com (07-10-2011)
Closed Thread