Maintenance manager learning the trades - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > New Member Introductions

Old 04-28-2014, 01:42 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
View Boosh2112's Photo Album My Photos
Thumbs up Maintenance manager learning the trades

Hi Everyone,
Thank you for your contributions to this forum and community, I've been here lurking for over a year, learning what I can to make the best decisions for upkeeping the painting of the college where I work. I'm not a painter by profession other than tennis court resurfacing back when I was younger (messy messy stuff) but I've learned a lot of applicable knowledge from your conversations. I have two full time painters and one go-to contract painter who I've worked with while in my position and sometimes I feel I could use a professional outside option or perspective to offset the motivations (or lack thereof) of what they say.
We use Sherwin Williams exclusively (mandated) save for a few necessary luxuries like BM oil /Glidden Gripper / Permawhite. As far as my own education and online resources outside of this forum, what would you recommend to someone in my role who is responsible for managing all exterior/interior paint on campus?
Here are the bookmarks I currently have below; thanks again.
1. http://www.pdca.org/
2. http://paint.org/
3. http://paintquality.com/
4. http://www.specifypaint.com/demo/demo_wbdg.html
5. http://www.paintinfo.com/index-1.asp
6.https://www.extension.iastate.edu/fo...iles/PM363.pdf

I really enjoy these kind of white papers (#6), if you know of more or sources.

- BOOSH
Boosh2112 is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2014, 02:37 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 8
Thanked 3,481 Times in 1,798 Posts
View Bender's Photo Album My Photos

Suny?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 03:02 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 960
Thanked 9,540 Times in 5,406 Posts
View CApainter's Photo Album My Photos

Welcome!

Are you strictly a maintenance painting manager, or do you function as an overall facility manager?
CApainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2014, 03:18 PM   #4
RH

Rewards Points: 10,130
Thanked 15,342 Times in 8,033 Posts
View RH's Photo Album My Photos

Welcome to the group!

Most of what I've learned came from experience rather than
reading about it. For someone in your situation, having access to something like PT should be a great resource.

Dan

Groucho Marx
RH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 04:15 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 250
View Epoxy Pro's Photo Album My Photos

Welcome to PT.
Epoxy Pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 10:18 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 10
View Boosh2112's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by CApainter View Post
Are you strictly a maintenance painting manager, or do you function as an overall facility manager?
I'm currently over carpentry, locksmithing, and painting shops with an interest in getting additional experience over mechanical trades of HVAC, plumbing, electric.

The difficulty is that I'll NEVER be able to have as deep a knowledge in any one of these trades, but I need to learn the most I can to make intelligent decisions and communicate with both the customer as a subject matter expert and the trade professionals as a competent decision maker/leader.
Boosh2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 10:55 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 960
Thanked 9,540 Times in 5,406 Posts
View CApainter's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosh2112 View Post
I'm currently over carpentry, locksmithing, and painting shops with an interest in getting additional experience over mechanical trades of HVAC, plumbing, electric.

The difficulty is that I'll NEVER be able to have as deep a knowledge in any one of these trades, but I need to learn the most I can to make intelligent decisions and communicate with both the customer as a subject matter expert and the trade professionals as a competent decision maker/leader.
I am very familiar with the dynamics of a facilities work group like yours. I am primarily a painter within the group, but my duties have expanded to contractor facilitation. I'll offer the following observations:

-HVAC/Health and Safety can be the most important maintenance item depending on the operational needs of a facility.

-Most facilities have two general needs. Those that deal with the facility's primary function, including process and supporting equipment, and those that deal with occupancy and aesthetic requirements, including landscape

-Setting priorities can be very political, resulting in nothing getting done. Get a sense of the facility's general need and have allies.

-Facility maintenance groups are generally limited in staff and resources, but can justify budgets that allow for out sourcing, rather then hiring in house.

-I find that some facility mangers have a particular interest, like HVAC. Managers like this will put a lower priority on painting, or other non essentials unless its part of an overall program.

As far as painting, unless you have a real interest in it, I would delegate oversight of painting projects, and painting contractors, if necessary, to your paint crew. This will free you up to manage the other aspects of facility maintenance.

Last edited by CApainter; 04-29-2014 at 11:00 AM..
CApainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 11:08 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 570
View mr.fixit's Photo Album My Photos

welcome Boosh

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

mr.fixit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None