New guy. - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > New Member Introductions

Old 04-18-2007, 06:44 PM   #1
Paint to ride!

Rewards Points: 150
View BenPaintinTooLong's Photo Album My Photos
Default New guy.

Just thought I would say hey to all. I am an old contractor "57" been paintin for 37 years , done just about every thing in paint from comercial to home owners. I now am a one man band, every now and then I hire a helper/painter and remember why I am a one man band . Had 8 men at one time working, made no money and lost most of my hair now I still don't have much hair but I do have a lot more money.

Enough complaining, This looks like a fun every one gets along board.

After 37 yrs I do find new technecks and new products that you can pick up on from other pro's like those that are here I am sure. As we all know painting is a never ending learning process for sure.

BenPaintingTooLong
BenPaintinTooLong is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2007, 07:28 PM   #2
Save 2nd base!

Rewards Points: 9,606
Thanked 4,371 Times in 1,908 Posts
View ProWallGuy's Photo Album My Photos

Welcome from St. Louis.
ProWallGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 07:32 PM   #3
Paint to ride!

Thanks from New York,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2007, 07:55 PM   #4
My custom title

View Brushslingers's Photo Album My Photos

Greetings from Florida
Old 04-18-2007, 08:13 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,486
Thanked 6,705 Times in 4,460 Posts
View Workaholic's Photo Album My Photos
Default I'll follow the leader

Hello from Alabama
Workaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 09:43 PM   #6
Painter Extrodinaire

Rewards Points: 500
View Kelly Painting's Photo Album My Photos

Finally, your the guy i want to hear from....
tell me the way it was done 20 yrs ago that beats todays methods... i love the simple old school methods.. thats the way I was taught.
Would also love to hear how one person is better than eight... everyone in the industry pushes for more guys.. getting out of the bucket... would love to hear the other side. I'm torn between me and my one painter.. or spreading out bigger. Nice to have you... and we don't all get along.... some of us fight like brother and sister... but at the end of the day, we are all related.
Kelly Painting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 09:35 AM   #7

View Nathan's Photo Album My Photos

Great to have someone with your experience here. Welcome.
Old 04-19-2007, 09:46 AM   #8
Go Cardinals!!!

Rewards Points: 75
View DelW's Photo Album My Photos

Welcome from Peoria
cardwizzard (02-10-2015)
Old 04-19-2007, 07:48 PM   #9
Paint to ride!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellstar painting View Post
tell me the way it was done 20 yrs ago that beats todays methods... i love the simple old school methods.. thats the way I was taught.
Would also love to hear how one person is better than eight... everyone in the industry pushes for more guys.. getting out of the bucket... would love to hear the other side. I'm torn between me and my one painter.. or spreading out bigger. Nice to have you... and we don't all get along.... some of us fight like brother and sister... but at the end of the day, we are all related.
It was a different time in 1970 painters would race each other to have bragging rights to who was the fastest at painting a door or even a room
at the finish the work was inspected and if it was not up to pro standards it didn't count, you can't just have speed, you must have both speed and accuracy like a pro should have. Pride in our work was important and demanded.
Now it is hard to hire a painter with any real experience at all. I hired and fierd until I gave up. It is not worth the headache, I chose to go it alone about 15 years ago it works for me.
Theres is much more to be said and I will elaborate more later.
Old 04-19-2007, 07:56 PM   #10
My custom title

View Brushslingers's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenPaintinTooLong View Post
painters would race each other to have bragging rights to who was the fastest at painting a door or even a room
at the finish the work was inspected and if it was not up to pro standards it didn't count, you can't just have speed, you must have both speed and accuracy like a pro should have.
Heh, some of us still do this.
Old 04-19-2007, 09:48 PM   #11
Epoxy Dude

View Wolverine's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
It was a different time in 1970 painters would race each other to have bragging rights to who was the fastest at painting a door or even a room
at the finish the work was inspected and if it was not up to pro standards it didn't count, you can't just have speed, you must have both speed and accuracy like a pro should have. Pride in our work was important and demanded.
Now it is hard to hire a painter with any real experience at all. I hired and fierd until I gave up. It is not worth the headache, I chose to go it alone about 15 years ago it works for me.
I think that there is really something to this post. It is also my observation that there is a general lack of pride (in ones work) these days. I know that there are some that do take great pride in their work, but it is a small percentage.

Wolverine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 09:57 PM   #12

Quote:
It is a balancing act of quality along with production. Doing so much new construction these days. My wife is letting me take her old glitchy digital camera to work because i want to post a few pics of what i get into.
Old 04-20-2007, 06:49 PM   #13
Paint to ride!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine View Post
I think that there is really something to this post. It is also my observation that there is a general lack of pride (in ones work) these days. I know that there are some that do take great pride in their work, but it is a small percentage.

I have found that a lot of these guys that I hired over the years didn't know good prep, if any at all.That is where the no pride in there work shows up. They really didn't know they was doing something wrong by just grabbing up a paint brush and going at a door and jamb with out even looking at the putty, is the caulk cracked did the last painter paint over sand, carpet hair, no just get it painted, in re paints, and in new construction that kind of "painter" would not even have a clue how to go about prepping up a door jamb for paint, I say again good prep is more than half of a good painter.
Old 04-20-2007, 06:59 PM   #14
Paint to ride!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workaholic View Post
It is a balancing act of quality along with production. Doing so much new construction these days. My wife is letting me take her old glitchy digital camera to work because i want to post a few pics of what i get into.
In new construction the painter must have good prep skills far more so than in re paints and speed is a must as well, a pro should have both. When I did a lot of new homes all the "painters" I hired could not caulk at all, I had to do it myself and let them putty nail holes and had to fine tune every one of them but it did help time wise some.
Old 04-20-2007, 07:27 PM   #15

Quote:
In new construction the painter must have good prep skills far more so than in re paints and speed is a must as well, a pro should have both. When I did a lot of new homes all the "painters" I hired could not caulk at all, I had to do it myself and let them putty nail holes and had to fine tune every one of them but it did help time wise some.
Yeah its me and my partner. I am looking for a helper that i can turn into a painter, harder than one would think.
Old 04-20-2007, 08:10 PM   #16
Paint to ride!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workaholic View Post
Yeah its me and my partner. I am looking for a helper that i can turn into a painter, harder than one would think.
It will be , my suggestion is to find a young guy preferably married that wants to learn the trade. Take him under your wing and teach him the right way, starting with that all important prep. I found it helped to ,after he thinks he has the caulk and putty down, and you have fine tuned most of the jambs, go ahead and spray them out and then take the novice to the door jamb you didn't fine tune and show him the difference, it is hard at first to have a good eye for detail before it is painted this will help for sure.
Old 04-20-2007, 08:14 PM   #17
Save 2nd base!

Rewards Points: 9,606
Thanked 4,371 Times in 1,908 Posts
View ProWallGuy's Photo Album My Photos

A couple phrases come to mind:

Hire for attitude, not skill

Hire slow, fire fast
ProWallGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 08:15 PM   #18
Paint to ride!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellstar painting View Post
Sorry I quoted at the bottom I guess, that quote was a responce to you.
Old 04-20-2007, 08:30 PM   #19
Paint to ride!

You have hit it right on, save your money on those can't produce $20.00 hr guy's.Build your own.
Old 04-20-2007, 09:58 PM   #20
Rock On

Rewards Points: 1,000
View slickshift's Photo Album My Photos

Hi BenPaintin
slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None