New guy in town! - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > New Member Introductions

Old 08-16-2013, 11:05 AM   #1
Brushmaster

Rewards Points: 147
View Huntercoatings's Photo Album My Photos
Default New guy in town!

Hi everyone, I'm new to paint talk. I'm what you would call a paint nerd. Paint and painting is my passion! It's pretty damn pathetic that I've got paint on my mind all the time. I live Utah where the mormon's rome. I'm a very picky painter who's not satisfied easily, just ask any of my paint reps! I've peen painting for the last 10 years as well as professional caulking. I currently do mostly repaint/ remodel work, mostly a cut and roll kind of guy. I can't seem to find the right paint supplier, thay used to exsist in my area until sherwin and ppg bought them out. So bassicly i can go only two ways, both around here have good service and treat me well. The problem is the people I usually paint for(mormons) have congiac tast on a natural light budget. Also they usually want a very shiney paint on everything, like semi or even gloss on walls. We all know how perfect a wall has to be to paint it with a semi, let alone a gloss. Many painter's in this area use kwal paint now owned by sherwin, most use a line of interior enamel called builders select stipple enamel. Don't let the name fool you it sounds like a builder grade paint, but its their premium paint in my opinion. This paint is specifially formulated and sold in utah, It's a high build paint for walls but when sprayed it looks a smooth as glass. The problem is this paint lines sheen's run super high the eggshell is as shiney as high sheen satin/ low semi, the satin looks like a shiney semi and so on. This is what many people want, this shiney satin on walls and the semi"gloss" on trim. I do think this is a very good paint product, however it is almost impossible to get good touch up because of its high luster. Plus kwal's service imo is absolute [email protected]#t. So i've been looking for the right paint that will fit the bill. I need a paint that will touch up great, hide well, flow and level, and have enough sheen to satisfy my customers. It also has to feel nice to the touch not gritty or chalky. Currntly I've been using Porter Silken Touch satin on walls, and either Advantage 900 semi or Glyptex wb/alkyd gloss on trim. Just wondering if any of you have any other recommendations I could try, many people are cheap around here wanting aura like paint on a walmart color place budget. Even the current system I'm using is to much for many so I have to use Speedhide satin on walls and semi on trim.
Give me suggestions of affordable options that might fit the ticket. I'm limited to PPG, SW, BM, Glidden and of course Home Depot and Lowes. The later less likely.. thanks!
Huntercoatings is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2013, 11:31 AM   #2
RH

Rewards Points: 10,110
Thanked 15,341 Times in 8,032 Posts
View RH's Photo Album My Photos

Welcome to the group.

My go to paint is a region brand so my suggestions wouldn't be of much help except to say that using a cheap paint never brings good things. Explaining the benefits of a quality product (not the same as expensive) to your customers would be better than finding an inexpensive one IMO.

With that said, there will be as many different opinions here as there are members, so someone will be sure to chime in with their recommendations for an inexpensive option.

Groucho Marx
RH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 12:17 PM   #3
Brushmaster

Rewards Points: 147
View Huntercoatings's Photo Album My Photos

Thaks for your reply, It look's like your from oregon. Are you using miller paint? I've heard lots of good things about them.
Huntercoatings is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2013, 01:53 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 250
View David's Painting's Photo Album My Photos

Welcome from Cincinnati, Ohio
David's Painting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 02:15 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,331
Thanked 1,168 Times in 635 Posts
View Hines Painting's Photo Album My Photos

Welcome.

Had a Mormon comment typed out, but thought better of it.
Hines Painting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 11:04 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 570
View mr.fixit's Photo Album My Photos

welcome. nice intro

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
mr.fixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 11:09 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 936
View MikeCalifornia's Photo Album My Photos

Try the SW Solo Line. Self-priming on raw drywall, two coats, and has a very smooth finish. Comes in flat enamel, satin, semi, and gloss. The sheens are typical not overly shiny and not overly dull like the Promar lines.
MikeCalifornia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 11:38 AM   #8
RH

Rewards Points: 10,110
Thanked 15,341 Times in 8,032 Posts
View RH's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntercoatings View Post
Thaks for your reply, It look's like your from oregon. Are you using miller paint? I've heard lots of good things about them.
I use Miller on about 85% of my jobs. I only do interiors and the Miller Premium is a good product that is priced for value. Not sure you have access to it where you are but if you do I'd look into it. I'm using more of the Evolution matte recently but it's pretty spendy.

My local Miller store gives me superior service.

Groucho Marx

Last edited by RH; 08-17-2013 at 11:48 AM..
RH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 11:39 AM   #9
still in the bucket

Rewards Points: 500
View cdaniels's Photo Album My Photos

Welcome from sunny eastern N.C.
cdaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 11:42 AM   #10
RCP

Rewards Points: 78
Thanked 4,803 Times in 3,011 Posts
View RCP's Photo Album My Photos

Welcome, I 'm in Southern Utah. Have you tried Jones Paint and Glass? The could be your one place to get a variety of products at a good price, and the service at mine is top notch. I agree with Mike about the Solo also, you might also like the Southwest Builders line.

RCP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None