New here, trying to start up former business - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > New Member Introductions

Old 10-10-2014, 03:34 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 4
View kanaloa's Photo Album My Photos
Default New here, trying to start up former business

Hello, I'm Dave. I work with my father who was trained by his father who was a life long house painter. We're trying to resurrect our former painting business that I grew up doing. But we have done other jobs for so long that we have lost our regular contracts and network. Other than just passing out business cards to everyone we know, how can we begin to generate new clients?

We are generally small time and are doing this in a part-time manner. Thanks for any help.
kanaloa is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2014, 03:47 PM   #2
King Dude

Thanked 5,036 Times in 2,862 Posts
View Rbriggs82's Photo Album My Photos

First off... Welcome to the group!

It's tough starting out. Talk to everyone you meet, use door hangers, fliers, walk into a realtors office and drop off a brochure with a coupon. There are tons of ways to get business, it just takes a lot of persistence and some good ole fashioned hustling. Good luck!
Rbriggs82 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rbriggs82 For This Useful Post:
RH (10-10-2014)
Old 10-10-2014, 03:55 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 848
Thanked 4,476 Times in 2,462 Posts
View Wildbill7145's Photo Album My Photos

Depending on what type of painting you do (residential repaints/commercial, etc) I know a lot of paint shops geared towards the general public keep a directory of local painters they give out to customers who come in looking to buy paint but don't want to do the painting themselves.

I get quite a bit of business from the girls at the local paint shop I use.

Oh, welcome!
Wildbill7145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2014, 10:53 PM   #4
RH

Rewards Points: 10,204
Thanked 15,353 Times in 8,040 Posts
View RH's Photo Album My Photos

Welcome and good luck.

I would certainly try connecting with as many of your previous contacts and former customers SD you could. Just letting them know you are back in business again might result in some quality leads.

Groucho Marx

Last edited by RH; 10-10-2014 at 10:58 PM..
RH is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RH For This Useful Post:
daArch (10-11-2014), Danahy (10-14-2014)
Old 10-11-2014, 09:25 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 4
View kanaloa's Photo Album My Photos

Thanks. I'm about to mail my brochures to all of the local Realtors. I don't know of any paint shops. All I know of are home stores in my area.
kanaloa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 12:13 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 88
View fortunerestoration's Photo Album My Photos

Despite the professionalism, we all know, it is difficult to start. Nonetheless, it is worth trying what you know and want to achieve. Start with all your contacts, and steadily you will enhance on the number. You do a market research on what other local painting contractors are doing right.
fortunerestoration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 08:42 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 34
View capn26's Photo Album My Photos

I'm in a similar, just starting out position. My father is a GC, and I remember what he did to gain attention and business. He bought hats, tees, liscence plates, pens/pencils, etc and handed them to everyone he saw. I mean, he even took a load to goodwill and dropped them off. In a month, you couldn't go 24hrs without seeing something with his biz on it. It worked. And no matter how small a job, put a sign out front. Logo a vehicle. People start being more confident about using you when they have at least heard your name.

Sent from my iPhone using PaintTalk.com
capn26 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None