New Kid on the Block - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > New Member Introductions

Old 10-16-2009, 12:59 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
View Colorful Cans's Photo Album My Photos
Default New Kid on the Block

Hello All,
Been a lurker of this site for a while, finally got up the guts (and knowledge) to start participating. A little background. Back in my youth I helped my father with his painting business in California. I did that for about 9 years, starting at a very young age. I then moved on, went to school, got a couple of degrees and spent the last 25 years in High Tech in various management, finance and operations roles. In January of this year I was impacted by a restructuring. With the ridiculously tight job market (especially it seems for an old fart like myself) I decided to indulge my entrepreneurial spirit.

After looking at a number of alternatives, primarily focused on service industries, I decided to pursue painting as I did have some experience (although a long time ago). Initially I looked into franchise opportunities, but after researching those, the biggest benefit I saw to that route was the initial start up. Although the cost was not that high, I really did not want to end up sending 6% of everything I make to someone else for the rest of my life. Heck, I know what it takes to run a business (one of my degrees is an MBA), I just needed to know more about painting, figure I could start small and take it from there.

I soaked up all the knowledge I could and these forums have been invaluable. I also leveraged the knowledge I gains from pursuing the franchise opportunities and read whatever I could on the subject. My wife basically handles the Marketing side, I handle the operations side. We launched about a month ago, and have been immersed in this incredible learning experience.

We have found 4 great painters, and have been able to keep 2 of them busy so far. My biggest challenge has been estimating and developing production rates. Initially I started with rates I found here and have been making adjustments after each job. We did OK on our first exterior, made about $50 on our first interior job ($3,700 total), but have been doing OK on the follow-ons.

As this is my first post, I want to thank all of you guys for imparting your knowledge out here. You all have been a great help and I am looking forward to helping others by posting my learnings and hopefully eventually become an asset to this on line community.

Thats it for now! I gotta go over the techniques forum and ask how much I should charge to paint some garage springs
Colorful Cans is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2009, 01:14 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000
Thanked 1,031 Times in 753 Posts
View johnpaint's Photo Album My Photos

Welcome CC: Man making so little on a job, I would want to forget that one.Well a guy's got to make a living I guess

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Never argue with a fool - they will drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
johnpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 02:05 PM   #3

That was a painful learning experience, but you gotta learn through mistakes. What I have found in these early stages is that I was grossly underestimating prep time and and overestimating paint coverage. That place also had a kitchen and 2 baths that needed wallpaper removal, texturing and paint. In 2 of the rooms it was original wall paper, basically paper on paper as they did not bother to primed the walls. I didn't incorporate enough time for the 19' ceilings in the Great Room either.

Although I took it in the shorts, the fact that it had basically a little bit of everything was very helpful. I did not have to screw-up estimates on several jobs, just one big one! (knock on wood).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2009, 05:29 PM   #4

Thanked 1,031 Times in 753 Posts
View johnpaint's Photo Album My Photos

Try to remember that contractors are sometimes the worst at over estimating their ability.Once you have a figure on how much time it will take, add 15% on to that to make up for your over qualifying yourself.On that job atleast you would have made that much more.

Never argue with a fool - they will drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
johnpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 08:13 PM   #5
RCP

Rewards Points: 78
Thanked 4,803 Times in 3,011 Posts
View RCP's Photo Album My Photos

Welcome to the forum. Sounds like you have all your ducks in a row!
I was looking at your well laid out site, be interested to hear what kind of response you get from the "painter for a day".

RCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 09:20 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,658
Thanked 6,792 Times in 4,040 Posts
View ewingpainting.net's Photo Album My Photos

welcome
ewingpainting.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 09:37 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,486
Thanked 6,705 Times in 4,460 Posts
View Workaholic's Photo Album My Photos

Welcome to the forum, do you get many responses from the painter for a day?
Workaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 09:58 PM   #8
PNITEX

Rewards Points: 250
View JAYJAY's Photo Album My Photos

Welcome
Old 10-16-2009, 10:58 PM   #9
Save 2nd base!

Rewards Points: 9,608
Thanked 4,372 Times in 1,908 Posts
View ProWallGuy's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorful Cans View Post

I gotta go over the techniques forum and ask how much I should charge to paint some garage springs

Welcome from St. Louis.

ProWallGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 11:06 PM   #10

View KLaw's Photo Album My Photos

Welcome and enjoy.
KLaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 08:40 AM   #11

So far have only received 1 query on the Painter For a Day. The gal wanted 1 room painted and I went out to give her an estimate (see if the painter for a day was feasible). Estimate came out to $450 (high ceilings, lots of brush work). She chose to go elsewhere, I'm trying to find out if it was price, or something else.

Being a new, I am just seeing the activity start to pick up and the daily visitor charts are actually looking like charts. I'll be re-addressing and tweaking the Specials when I get a feel for what works.

Old 10-17-2009, 12:06 PM   #12
Old as dirt member

Rewards Points: 688
Thanked 8,440 Times in 4,284 Posts
View Schmidt & Co.'s Photo Album My Photos

Welcome! I can relate to your career change. My father, the founder of our company had a similar experience.

He started out as a union electrician in his 20s, went to collage, became a CPA then got his masters in finance. Spent 10-15 years doing that. The company he was with was bought out and he was laid off with 6 months severence. He was tired of the buisness world so decided to try painting. He put ladder racks on the station wagon and we literally started out as 'station wagon bandits"!
Old 10-17-2009, 12:13 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 1,000
Thanked 1,136 Times in 611 Posts
View y.painting's Photo Album My Photos

Welcome to the forums.

For those wondering, "Painter for a Day," was actually a program originally started by Allbright Painting (http://abpainting.com/). Not sure how well it went for them, but now they are offering something called "painting parties" where they provide all of the materials, advice, but the HOs paint. Pretty innovative!

Tags
None