New painter branching off alone! Help! - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > New Member Introductions

Old 01-17-2013, 02:04 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
View bababui's Photo Album My Photos
Default New painter branching off alone! Help!

Hey guys i do work for a close friend, she pays me 23 an hour for painting and other minor repairs, she has thought me everything i know, but now been planning on doing some jobs on my own, so i went to kijiji ( popular free Ad website in Canada) and pretty much said i had experience and have amazing loow rates, so the real deal happened, 2 minutes after posting the Ad, some guy wants his whole Apartment painted 3 bedroom,livingroom,kitchen the whole deal, i got nervous but responded, i asked for 1300 dollars and he said yes.

now the truth comes, im actually doing this alone and im worried if his gonna pay me, i dont want to do all that work and then have him disappear and not pay me, what tips and tricks do you guys do to make sure you get paid?

charge beforehand? or is that a nono, also i have 8 months experience painting apartments so hope im up to the task, didnt know i was gonna get replies so fast lol, already met the guy and everything

help pls, tips for a perfect job ans tips so i dont get ripped off

thanks
bababui is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2013, 02:42 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,030
Thanked 2,924 Times in 1,541 Posts
View PatsPainting's Photo Album My Photos

3 bedrooms, living room, Kitchen and the whole deal for the $1300.00? Sheeze - sounds like you ripping your self off, I would worry about that before sweating over if the guy will pay you or not.

Pat

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PatsPainting is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PatsPainting For This Useful Post:
bababui (01-17-2013), Dave Mac (01-17-2013), Rbriggs82 (01-17-2013)
Old 01-17-2013, 02:59 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatsPainting
3 bedrooms, living room, Kitchen and the whole deal for the $1300.00? Sheeze - sounds like you ripping your self off, I would worry about that before sweating over if the guy will pay you or not.

Pat
haha so ask him for more? It is my first job alone and I only have 8 months, I could call him back and say more but we kind of agreed on that price, well I told him, gotta work on my negotiations skills too
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2013, 03:05 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 75
View SeattleHomeServices's Photo Album My Photos

I think there's some things to consider:
a) are you licensed bonded and insured? What happens when you spill (accidentally) a gallon of paint on his Oriental rug?

b) did you look at his place or just take his word for it? What if the drywall is full of holes? What if the kitchen is greasy?

c) are you sure 8 months is enough experience for what you're talking about doing?

d) have you included taxes and materials in the final figure?

In summary, there's a lot of variables that you'll want to consider, the biggest one being whether or not you're going to be a licensed tax-paying business trying to grow sustainably and turn a profit ... or a fly-by-night operation doing cheap work. Both have their place in the market for painting but if you're striving for the latter, you're asking the wrong people I think.

Personally, I've done a ton of unlicensed work in my time ... just side **** here and there. But nowadays, my feeling is:
-if I can't see it, I won't bid it
-if i can't do it legitimately then I'm in the wrong business

So take that for what its worth, but those are just some things to consider. Oh and 1300 ain't enough for what that guys asking.
SeattleHomeServices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 03:05 AM   #5
still in the bucket

Rewards Points: 500
View cdaniels's Photo Album My Photos

Welcome Bababui, Sounds like you are ready to me!!!!

Last edited by cdaniels; 01-17-2013 at 04:57 AM..
cdaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cdaniels For This Useful Post:
bababui (01-17-2013)
Old 01-17-2013, 03:19 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleHomeServices View Post
I think there's some things to consider:
a) are you licensed bonded and insured? What happens when you spill (accidentally) a gallon of paint on his Oriental rug?

b) did you look at his place or just take his word for it? What if the drywall is full of holes? What if the kitchen is greasy?

c) are you sure 8 months is enough experience for what you're talking about doing?

d) have you included taxes and materials in the final figure?

In summary, there's a lot of variables that you'll want to consider, the biggest one being whether or not you're going to be a licensed tax-paying business trying to grow sustainably and turn a profit ... or a fly-by-night operation doing cheap work. Both have their place in the market for painting but if you're striving for the latter, you're asking the wrong people I think.

Personally, I've done a ton of unlicensed work in my time ... just side **** here and there. But nowadays, my feeling is:
-if I can't see it, I won't bid it
-if i can't do it legitimately then I'm in the wrong business

So take that for what its worth, but those are just some things to consider. Oh and 1300 ain't enough for what that guys asking.
i dont have any licence whatsoever,just doing some extra work for my savings, right now i dont think i want to start a company, but was interested in putting an Ad and maybe some people needed some work to be done, also the guy is like its not his house so i will see it when i start the job, i wanted to see beforehand too, im going to see if he pays 50% first... but yeah no taxes, this is just paint and get paid cash something to do on the side to compliment my regular painting job and make more money
and btw he said he will pay and get the paint!
Old 01-17-2013, 03:38 AM   #7
RH

Rewards Points: 10,282
Thanked 15,364 Times in 8,048 Posts
View RH's Photo Album My Photos

So many red flags, so little time...

Groucho Marx
RH is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RH For This Useful Post:
cdaniels (01-17-2013), chrisn (01-17-2013), Scotiadawg (01-17-2013)
Old 01-17-2013, 04:40 AM   #8
painter extraordinaire

Rewards Points: 1,066
Thanked 1,078 Times in 611 Posts
View Brian C's Photo Album My Photos

I dont think you have enough experience in painting or pricing a job to go out on your own yet. Better for you to get a few more years working for another painter.

Brian C is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Brian C For This Useful Post:
benthepainter (01-17-2013)
Old 01-17-2013, 07:51 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 250
View Epoxy Pro's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by bababui View Post
also the guy is like its not his house so i will see it when i start the job, i wanted to see beforehand too,
ok so is this an apartment or condo? If it is an apartment he can not just decide to repaint with out the owners approval, if it is a condo he owns it is fine, if he rents the condo still needs the owners permission to repaint.
Huge red flag here you have not seen the job yet? No way would I bid with out seeing it first, like other said what if there is damage, greasy kitchen, peeling paint and so on.
I agree $1,300.00 is very low, you said the person is paying for the paint? Is he going to deduct that from your $1,300.00?
Even though you say it is just a side job you need to look at the job first other wise you can screw yourself bad.
My 2 main rules when I look at a job, make sure that person is the owner, if not make sure he gets written permission from the owner for a repaint. Bring a tape measure and measure every room he needs painted, (measure for ceilings, wall sqft and trim.)
Depending on length of job I ask for either 1/3 or 1/2 for a deposit, if you ask for a 1/3 you will get 3 installments ($1,300.00 divided by 3= $433.33), the deposit, a payment when the job is half done, the balance when the job is completed. If it is half one deposit to start and remainder when job is completed.
For your side work maybe try to charge hourly until you come up with your own sqft bidding method. We all have had to go through similar when starting our first couple of jobs. It is hard there is no right or wrong on bidding rates, either it is high low or spot on.
My first job I asked other painting contractors the going rate and was quoted it can be any wheres from $1.00 sqft up to $10.00+ a sqft, no one wants to tell others how much they bid per sqft.
Epoxy Pro is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Epoxy Pro For This Useful Post:
bababui (01-17-2013)
Old 01-17-2013, 07:53 AM   #10
A Brush Above

Rewards Points: 2,598
Thanked 3,573 Times in 1,861 Posts
View Paradigmzz's Photo Album My Photos

hopefully you will find out he is legit when he gives you a check for 5000 and asks you to gibe him back the difference.

seriously, you havent even seen the place yet?

Quote:
I wouldn't worry about it.This internet thing aint gonna last
Paradigmzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Paradigmzz For This Useful Post:
Repaint Florida (01-17-2013), RH (01-17-2013), Scotiadawg (01-17-2013), SeattleHomeServices (01-17-2013)
Old 01-17-2013, 09:58 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 1,076
Thanked 1,311 Times in 724 Posts
View Rcon's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by bababui View Post
Hey guys i do work for a close friend, she pays me 23 an hour for painting and other minor repairs, she has thought me everything i know, but now been planning on doing some jobs on my own, so i went to kijiji ( popular free Ad website in Canada) and pretty much said i had experience and have amazing loow rates, so the real deal happened, 2 minutes after posting the Ad, some guy wants his whole Apartment painted 3 bedroom,livingroom,kitchen the whole deal, i got nervous but responded, i asked for 1300 dollars and he said yes.

now the truth comes, im actually doing this alone and im worried if his gonna pay me, i dont want to do all that work and then have him disappear and not pay me, what tips and tricks do you guys do to make sure you get paid?

charge beforehand? or is that a nono, also i have 8 months experience painting apartments so hope im up to the task, didnt know i was gonna get replies so fast lol, already met the guy and everything

help pls, tips for a perfect job ans tips so i dont get ripped off

thanks
You're making 23/hr with just 8 months experience?

Get your head on straight man you're better off just staying employed. Self employment isn't all it's cracked up to be. Plus, with just 8 months experience there's no way you know enough about painting to go out on your own.
Rcon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Rcon For This Useful Post:
Dave Mac (01-17-2013), kmp (01-17-2013), mukhoeb (01-17-2013), playedout6 (01-17-2013), Repaint Florida (01-17-2013), Schmidt & Co. (01-17-2013), Scotiadawg (01-17-2013), Workaholic (01-17-2013)
Old 01-17-2013, 11:35 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 570
View mr.fixit's Photo Album My Photos

working without liability insurance is probably not the best idea you ever came up with.

mr.fixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:11 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 2,486
Thanked 6,705 Times in 4,460 Posts
View Workaholic's Photo Album My Photos

Workaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:51 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 250
View Epoxy Pro's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.fixit View Post
working without liability insurance is probably not the best idea you ever came up with.
This is must other wise any damage or worse you are responsible for, for the few hundred dollars it costs it is well worth it. You don't need a gazillion dollars in coverage, get enough to cover the average cost of a home in your area.
Just like Rcon you have 8 months experience and making that kind of money stay where you are, that is great pay for your experience. Heck at times I bet most of us owners make less than that every so often.
Epoxy Pro is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Epoxy Pro For This Useful Post:
bababui (01-17-2013)
Old 01-17-2013, 02:01 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdpainting View Post
This is must other wise any damage or worse you are responsible for, for the few hundred dollars it costs it is well worth it. You don't need a gazillion dollars in coverage, get enough to cover the average cost of a home in your area.
Just like Rcon you have 8 months experience and making that kind of money stay where you are, that is great pay for your experience. Heck at times I bet most of us owners make less than that every so often.
yes shes a close friend so thats why maybe she pays me that, so you think its not worth doing that work for 1300? i mostly just wanted it to save it. Also im not leaving my job i will still work with her but was thinking doing some side jobs to have more money.. but yes the fact that he didnt want to show me his house before is weird.. he is calling me but not sure what to tell hime yet, thanks alot guys everyone is so smart and good a business here i will learn alot spending some time here
Old 01-17-2013, 02:04 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdpainting View Post
ok so is this an apartment or condo? If it is an apartment he can not just decide to repaint with out the owners approval, if it is a condo he owns it is fine, if he rents the condo still needs the owners permission to repaint.
Huge red flag here you have not seen the job yet? No way would I bid with out seeing it first, like other said what if there is damage, greasy kitchen, peeling paint and so on.
I agree $1,300.00 is very low, you said the person is paying for the paint? Is he going to deduct that from your $1,300.00?
Even though you say it is just a side job you need to look at the job first other wise you can screw yourself bad.
My 2 main rules when I look at a job, make sure that person is the owner, if not make sure he gets written permission from the owner for a repaint. Bring a tape measure and measure every room he needs painted, (measure for ceilings, wall sqft and trim.)
its a townhouse like a condo... yes alot of red flags but he seems very interested since his calling me non stop haha, but im reading everyones suggestion to come up with a better plan of attack!

thanks alot for your input God bless
Old 01-17-2013, 02:30 PM   #17

Rewards Points: 75
View Blakelpd5's Photo Album My Photos

Maybe I missed it in my skimming the thread, but does this nice lady that hired you know your taking side jobs, and potentially becoming her competition? That is a red flag of itself.

Insurance, Insurance, Insurance. I know I'm glad I had it when a supply pipe to a bathroom vanity popped off mid remodel and ruined the master bath, and finished basement & furnace. 35k in repairs I didn't have to pay (general on the job), and my insurance picked up for me. Hope to GOD nothing like that ever happens again, but there is always the potential.

If he won't show you the job before hand, he is hiding something...
Blakelpd5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Blakelpd5 For This Useful Post:
bababui (01-17-2013)
Old 01-17-2013, 03:00 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakelpd5
Maybe I missed it in my skimming the thread, but does this nice lady that hired you know your taking side jobs, and potentially becoming her competition? That is a red flag of itself.

Insurance, Insurance, Insurance. I know I'm glad I had it when a supply pipe to a bathroom vanity popped off mid remodel and ruined the master bath, and finished basement & furnace. 35k in repairs I didn't have to pay (general on the job), and my insurance picked up for me. Hope to GOD nothing like that ever happens again, but there is always the potential.

If he won't show you the job before hand, he is hiding something...
I don't plan on being her competition but I just wanted to do extra work for myself, she does most work for apartment complex, this is just a lil job in a house
Old 01-17-2013, 03:31 PM   #19
Delco, Pa

Rewards Points: 502
View scottjr's Photo Album My Photos

First, I would say you don't have the experienced needed to take on this job. The bid seems very low and the guy seems sketchy.
Ask him straight up if he will let you look at the work. If he doesn't, WALK AWAY!!
It's not worth potentially messing up a good thing you have going with your friend or losing money on the job.
If you were thinking you might not get paid, then you realize this guy is shady.
Watch out for scammers that reply to ads.
scottjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:16 PM   #20

Rewards Points: 1,000
View Scotiadawg's Photo Album My Photos

8 months, no business registration, no insurance, no idea what to charge, worried about getting ripped, currently 20.00+ per hour with a LEGIT employer/friend,,, yeah sure everything sounds good pal ! Give er!
Scotiadawg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scotiadawg For This Useful Post:
playedout6 (01-17-2013)

Tags
None