New Painter Here From CIncinnati - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > New Member Introductions

Old 08-31-2015, 05:21 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 4
View Lefthanded Painter's Photo Album My Photos
Default New Painter Here From CIncinnati

Hey everyone here at paint talk. I am a 38 year old male from Cincinnati Ohio. I have over 20 years experience off and on in the painting industry. I am currently running my own company with my brother as the only other employee. He also has several years experience. Our dad owned his own painting company since the 70's, and always told my brother and I to "step up, and take over" the business management aspect of the company. So that when his time came, we could take over the company and keep it going as the family trade/tradition etc. However, us being young and stubborn, didn't listen, and unfortunately, at a young age of 50, my father passed away in March 2002. Needless to say, without any prior business management experience, we lost not only our father, but the company he had worked his entire life to build as well. We searched throughout the entire world of employment for something more, but never finding any comfort in what we did. We had worked for other painting companies as well, and nothing ever fit like it did when we worked with, and for, our dad. Then, early 2014, I met a gentleman who had a company that did strictly apartment painting, and he put me to work. Since I had finally matured mentally, I realized that this was, in fact, the occupation that I belonged in. It's what I know how to do better than anything else, and it's what I do best, period. While I was there, I came across another gentleman that owns 6, soon to be 7, apartment communities of his own, and he loved the work I produced and asked if I would come to work for him as a subcontractor, or an employee on his payroll. After looking at the numbers, and giving it a lot of thought, I went to work for him as a sub. I wanted my own company now more than ever, and decided it was that time to bring back my father's legacy and give his company that rightful rebirth that it so deserved, so to speak. The work started piling up and I couldn't handle it all alone. So, I called my brother, who was doing electric work at the time, and asked if he wanted to join me with creating yet another family painting company. I told him we were going to start small, with both eyes open, and work our way up. He agreed. Now we are doing those apartments, sub work for CertaPro Painters of Cincinnati, our own work, and looking for other companies to hire us out as independent contractors as well. We are insured, BWC certified, and have our federal EIN. Only thing I have yet to do, is to register with the state because I haven't found that perfect name as of yet. We are residential and commercial, interior and exterior painters, HOWEVER, our specialty is definitely residential interior work, mostly repaints. So, can anyone on here give any advice at all on some really good painting company names? Also, does anyone work with Home Advisor? I am in contact with one of the guys on there but after he told me the price I wanted to discuss things over with my girlfriend, because the decision concerning money of that amount, usually is something that her and I both would involve the other with prior to moving forward without consulting the other first. Especially considering that we just learned that she, we, are 7 weeks pregnant and are finally, after 6 and a half long years, starting a family. Anyway, Home Advisor, are they worth it? Before I invest that kind of money, I want to know will I make it back and then some? Or, which company produces more leads, or produces leads without a huge cost? Thanks so much for taking your time to read this intro. I am really sorry that I wrote my entire life story, I just wanted everyone to have an idea about who I am and what I do in order to give me some advice about the company name if possible, and if the leads companies are worth it. Thanks again for reading, for that alone I am grateful, and I hope everyone here is doing great.
Lefthanded Painter is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2015, 08:02 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 286
Thanked 1,024 Times in 634 Posts
View I paint paint's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefthanded Painter View Post
So, can anyone on here give any advice at all on some really good painting company names?

Also, does anyone work with Home Advisor?

I am in contact with one of the guys on there but after he told me the price I wanted to discuss things over … Anyway, Home Advisor, are they worth it? Before I invest that kind of money, I want to know will I make it back and then some? Or, which company produces more leads, or produces leads without a huge cost?
Welcome. Great backstory.

I've tried to isolate the two main questions you'd like some feedback on above.^

Until others chime in, you can always try the search function here to do some research on your own.

Good luck!
I paint paint is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to I paint paint For This Useful Post:
Lefthanded Painter (08-31-2015)
Old 08-31-2015, 08:05 PM   #3
PinheadsUnite

Rewards Points: 1,696
Thanked 17,336 Times in 10,141 Posts
View daArch's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by I paint paint View Post
Welcome. Great backstory.

I've tried to isolate the two main questions you'd like some feedback on above.^

Until others chime in, you can always try the search function here to do some research on your own.

Good luck!

Good resolve and concentration

"Are we having fun yet"
daArch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to daArch For This Useful Post:
I paint paint (08-31-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2015, 08:33 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 4
View Lefthanded Painter's Photo Album My Photos

thanks, I will do some searching
Lefthanded Painter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 08:51 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,968
Thanked 9,670 Times in 5,509 Posts
View CApainter's Photo Album My Photos

I think "Awesome Painting" would be a good company name because it starts with an A, and you wouldn't have to search very far in the phone book.
CApainter is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CApainter For This Useful Post:
Lefthanded Painter (09-01-2015)
Old 08-31-2015, 10:17 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 564
Thanked 1,331 Times in 565 Posts
View MIZZOU's Photo Album My Photos

Welcome from NW Missouri, sorry to hear about your pops, best of luck in your new venture!

David
MIZZOU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 11:33 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 98
Thanked 2,436 Times in 1,280 Posts
View SemiproJohn's Photo Album My Photos

Just a thought.

Even though he isn't with you anymore, perhaps you could use your family name and add "and sons painting" as the company name. For example, Anderson and Sons Painting. You would be paying homage to your father and offering a name that suggests your company is family run (people like that) and is established (2nd generation...been around a while).
SemiproJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SemiproJohn For This Useful Post:
daArch (09-01-2015), Lefthanded Painter (09-01-2015)
Old 09-01-2015, 12:19 AM   #8
RH

Rewards Points: 7,350
Thanked 15,581 Times in 8,223 Posts
View RH's Photo Album My Photos

Welcome to the group!
Dan

Bill Watterson
RH is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
None