New to the Painting Business - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > New Member Introductions

Old 03-07-2010, 05:59 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
View newpaintguy's Photo Album My Photos
Default New to the Painting Business

Hello from Central Florida. I am new to the painting business but not new to owning a business. I have been so happy to find so much about the industry in this forum. There is so much info here I couldnt ask for anything more to help with starting my business.

I was helping a couple guys do some residential repainting and they are excellent at everything they do and painting is something that was available by default and by no means their first choice. I developed a formula based on the work we have done in the past and starting bidding some commercial jobs and landed a few. Fortunately i have to say that we were competitive in our bids with other companies and definately not the lowest bid. I do not believe in undercutting to get business. We must compete at current market rates with other successfull paint companies or we will not stay in business long.

They get their work 100% by referral and only have the capacity to work one job at a time. The post by PressurePro that speaks about Alan and John and provideds a comparison of the way they do business, completely describes my to compadres in the painting business. They operate so much like Alan that I thought PressurePro might even know my guys.

Having big dreams and an eye for opportunity (and the need for more income) I could not help myself in stepping to the front and provide some business sense and forward thinking and make a go of the painting business. $15/hr would never feed my family and I understand that profits are way better than wages.

In no way do I claim to know everything about painting because I have a tremendous amount to learn. I do however provide some good business sense to the equation and am very excited to move forward. We have a decent cash flow projection for the next few months and I am intently focused on growing the business and putting lots of effort into marketing. Currently we cut and roll and do not spray. I am in the market to purchase a sprayer and need as much education on sprayers and the do's and don'ts involved any help would be appreciated.

I have read the rules and understand that newbie questions are not really welcome so I have been combing the forum and learning a tremendous amount about the industry and people here are awesome and I am so thankful that they take the time to make such meaningful posts to help folks like me.

I'm happy to be a fly on the wall in this forum since everyone is miles and miles ahead of me. Any help at all from the experts is humbly appreciated.

Mark Thomas
newpaintguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2010, 06:56 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 252
View brushmonkey's Photo Album My Photos

Everyone starts somewhere. I wish I had this PT forum when I was starting out. These people are top of the line in their respective fields & this is a great place to learn. Welcome.
brushmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 07:39 PM   #3
"Member"

Rewards Points: 2,000
Thanked 5,705 Times in 3,060 Posts
View NEPS.US's Photo Album My Photos

Nice intro Mark. Welcome!
NEPS.US is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2010, 08:06 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,486
Thanked 6,705 Times in 4,460 Posts
View Workaholic's Photo Album My Photos

Welcome to PT
Workaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 08:20 PM   #5
Painting Contractor

Rewards Points: 1,888
Thanked 2,423 Times in 1,140 Posts
View George Z's Photo Album My Photos

Welcome

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
George Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 08:31 PM   #6
RCP

Rewards Points: 78
Thanked 4,803 Times in 3,011 Posts
View RCP's Photo Album My Photos

Thanks for the great intro and welcome to the forum, look forward to your input!

RCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 08:43 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,076
Thanked 1,311 Times in 724 Posts
View Rcon's Photo Album My Photos

Welcome to PT Mark
Rcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 10:39 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 250
View salestrainer's Photo Album My Photos

Welcome, look forward to sharing ideas to build our business!
Old 03-11-2010, 01:27 PM   #9

View Rooster319's Photo Album My Photos

Welcome from another Floridian! Good luck on your business. Look up your local PDCA Chapter for more info to help you in your business. I know they meet every month there in Central Florida.
Rooster319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 09:17 PM   #10

View newpaintguy's Photo Album My Photos

thanks for all the support guys!
newpaintguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None