New Residential / Repaint Contractor from West Michigan. - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > New Member Introductions

Old 07-12-2010, 05:13 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
View Theel Painting's Photo Album My Photos
Default New Residential / Repaint Contractor from West Michigan.

Hi all , new to the forum and have been in business for 22 years with 7 years expeirence before that doing Industrial , Commercial , New Residential and re-paints. I started on my own as a re-paint -house painter , but soon found out I would seemingly need a thousand customers to stay busy. Went door to door either talking to builders , or leaving business cards on there new homes , and after a couple of years I neither had to advertise or bid jobs. Just do a great job , and get it done on time. I kept some of these builders for 19-20 years before the new housing market collapsed , and now realize just how good I had it , even though I worked 6-7 days a week to keep up when times were good. , for up to 12 hours a day. Started out with basic entry level homes , and ended up doing mostly custom homes in the 350k to 1.5 million category.

I always kept comp and liability insurance , joined the Home Builders Association ect , but never had an actual painting Liscence because after going over the Michigan test , it included absolutely nothing to do with New or exsisting residential painting , or even most commercial painting , and a builders license was far easier to obtain. As far as I could tell , in Michigan the Painting License gives limited protection for the painter with regards to working on jobs that are more than 600.00 , and getting paid , and thats about it. In any case , I have never not gotten paid all of these years , or even had to go to court ect.

I have had up to 10 employees , but always worked on the job , and eventually figured out that I made almost as much with just me and two employess with far less hassles. Sadly , its so slow now that I have no employees left.

I am finding after not advertising for all these years , getting work doing re-paints ect is much tougher than when I first went on my own , and the only reason I haven't packed up and moved to another State is that my son still has his senior year in high school , and my wife still has a great job at a hospital.

I hope people in other States are doing better than here , and have one builder that moved to Florida , one to Colorado , and one that goes back and forth to Wyoming for work. The rest are doing little to nothing.

Greg

Last edited by Theel Painting; 07-12-2010 at 05:20 PM..
Theel Painting is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2010, 05:19 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,486
Thanked 6,705 Times in 4,460 Posts
View Workaholic's Photo Album My Photos

Welcome to PT, thanks for that great intro.

I hear Michigan has been bad.

Many people are having to reinvent their business. Take advantage of the search feature and all the great info in the marketing threads.
Workaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Workaholic For This Useful Post:
Theel Painting (07-12-2010)
Old 07-12-2010, 05:21 PM   #3
RCP

Rewards Points: 78
Thanked 4,803 Times in 3,011 Posts
View RCP's Photo Album My Photos

Welcome to PT Theel, thanks for the great intro.
Yours is a common story, we have all been hit hard. Be sure to check out the marketing section for advice on how to reach out to prospective customers using the internet.
Look forward to hearing more from you!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by RCP; 07-12-2010 at 05:29 PM..
RCP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RCP For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2010, 05:25 PM   #4
Paint Store Owner

Rewards Points: 2,000
Thanked 2,995 Times in 1,802 Posts
View NCPaint1's Photo Album My Photos

Welcome from another Michigander

Pretty much still in the toilet for the most part around here, seems to be improving slightly.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
NCPaint1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NCPaint1 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2010, 06:16 PM   #5

View KLaw's Photo Album My Photos

Wlecome to the forum - Theel.

I don't understand why a sustained business can't rely on referrals and repeats. I hear this all of the time. Curious as to your thoughts why the referral and repeat was / is not enough? Thanks.
KLaw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KLaw For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2010, 06:32 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,658
Thanked 6,792 Times in 4,040 Posts
View ewingpainting.net's Photo Album My Photos

Welcome, from Calif.
ewingpainting.net is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ewingpainting.net For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2010, 06:40 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 75
View PCM1's Photo Album My Photos

Welcome from Colorado, push forward....tomorrow comes with new light.

PCM1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PCM1 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2010, 08:15 PM   #8
"Member"

Thanked 5,705 Times in 3,060 Posts
View NEPS.US's Photo Album My Photos

Great intro Greg. Welcome!
NEPS.US is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NEPS.US For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2010, 08:18 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workaholic View Post
Welcome to PT, thanks for that great intro.

I hear Michigan has been bad.

Many people are having to reinvent their business. Take advantage of the search feature and all the great info in the marketing threads.

Thanks for the welcome , Michigan supposedly was hit with the recession 2 years before most of the rest of the Country , and its been quite bad for around two years for myself , and most everyone else I know. Its funny how putting all your eggs in one basket can seem like such a great thing , and later you end up kicking yourself for it . Never expected things to get quite this slow , and with new home Construction down 33% last month , I see things in that feild getting even worse. Marketing....ie selling myself , has never been my strong point , but I will gladly check the marketing threads.
Old 07-12-2010, 08:34 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLaw View Post
Wlecome to the forum - Theel.

I don't understand why a sustained business can't rely on referrals and repeats. I hear this all of the time. Curious as to your thoughts why the referral and repeat was / is not enough? Thanks.

I quit any advertising of any type around 16 years ago because I did not want to tell people that maybe I could get there some time in 3-6 months. When you work for custom builders , even some of the million plus homes are not sold , and on homes that were sold , people don't usually want to come and meet the respirator wearing painter with stain , laquer or paint fumes in the air very often lol. They mainly dealt with the builders to choose colors ect , and I didn't have so much as my name on my trucks or a yard sign because I already had more than enough work. Three of my builders have left the State , and a couple of others closed shop...so in my case its very easy to understand why there is little repeat refferal business. Its basically almost like starting over again from scratch. I do get home owner re-paint refferals , but not having any time to do any of those types of jobs until recently , there few and far between right now.

Last edited by Theel Painting; 07-13-2010 at 07:52 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Theel Painting For This Useful Post:
KLaw (07-12-2010)
Old 07-12-2010, 08:47 PM   #11
RCP

Rewards Points: 78
Thanked 4,803 Times in 3,011 Posts
View RCP's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theel Painting View Post
I quit any advertising of any type around 16 years ago because I did not want to tell people that maybe I could get there some time in 3-6 months. When you work for custom builders , even some of the million plus homes are not sold , and on homes that were sold , people don't usually want to come and meet the resperator wearing painter with stain , laquer or paint fumes in the air very often lol. They mainly dealt with the builders to choose colors ect , and I didn't have so much as my name on my trucks or a yard sign because I already had more than enough work. Three of my builders have left the State , and a couple of others closed shop...so in my case its very easy to understand why there is little repeat refferal business. Its basically almost like starting over again from scratch. I do get home owner re-paint refferals , but not having any time to do any of those types of jobs until recently , there few and far between right now.
Do you have any way to get the customer info from the builders, we do mostly NC and I send mailers to all the homes we do (usually after the first year and with the builders ok). It amazes me how many people are unaware that we are a Painting Company and not the builders employee. They are an excellent source for referrals and future repaints.

RCP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RCP For This Useful Post:
Theel Painting (07-12-2010), Workaholic (07-12-2010)
Old 07-12-2010, 09:06 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 25
View NaeGan's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCP View Post
Do you have any way to get the customer info from the builders, we do mostly NC and I send mailers to all the homes we do (usually after the first year and with the builders ok). It amazes me how many people are unaware that we are a Painting Company and not the builders employee. They are an excellent source for referrals and future repaints.
That's great advice.
Welcome to the board. I imagine since MI and OH have been decimated by unemployment it has been tough. But have you heard that the recovery is going as planned.

Our statewide unemployment is no where near yours, but my area of the state has been hit hard. If I didn't do drywall and small scale remodeling to supplement it I'd be gone by now.
NaeGan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NaeGan For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2010, 09:12 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 2,486
Thanked 6,705 Times in 4,460 Posts
View Workaholic's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
That is good advice Chris. A lot of NC the only recognized name a year later is the builder.
Workaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 09:55 PM   #14
Paint to fish

Rewards Points: 126
Thanked 5,136 Times in 2,795 Posts
View DeanV's Photo Album My Photos

Welcome from a fellow Michigander.

One piece of advise, get the General Builders license, it covers painting as well as all the other traders except electrical, plumbing, and HVAC. I have never used the general portion of mine, but it is nice to have more flexibility should the occasion arise.
DeanV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DeanV For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2010, 10:47 PM   #15

Quote:
I will check into that. I remember builders constantly saying the painters or my painter ect...so you could be onto something there.

Last edited by Theel Painting; 07-12-2010 at 10:56 PM..
Old 07-12-2010, 10:55 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCM1 View Post
Welcome from Colorado, push forward....tomorrow comes with new light.

Thanks , my builder that moved to Colorado was the chairman of the parade of homes just three years ago in this area , and had a great name , and now he is running a crew blowing up mountains for preventive highway maintenence. Apparently a family freind visiting from Colorado had an in for him as a supervisor for a large new home construction company , as well as one for blowing up mountains. Both paid 6 figures , and I am sure he is enjoying riding his Harley out there in the mountains. I have been to Estes Park and surrounding areas three times now....beautiful country there.
Old 07-12-2010, 11:01 PM   #17
Born 2 Paint

Rewards Points: 1,394
Thanked 2,924 Times in 1,609 Posts
View 6126's Photo Album My Photos

Welcome from Washington State.
6126 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 6126 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2010, 11:01 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaeGan View Post
That's great advice.
Welcome to the board. I imagine since MI and OH have been decimated by unemployment it has been tough. But have you heard that the recovery is going as planned.
LOL , has that stimulous kicked in anywhere yet? Some how I get the feeling it hasn't.
This is what I think of the current administration
Old 07-12-2010, 11:23 PM   #19

Rewards Points: 75
View ezpaintks's Photo Album My Photos

Glad you are here! Great intro!
ezpaintks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ezpaintks For This Useful Post:
Theel Painting (07-13-2010)
Old 07-13-2010, 02:05 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaeGan View Post
That's great advice.

Our statewide unemployment is no where near yours, but my area of the state has been hit hard. If I didn't do drywall and small scale remodeling to supplement it I'd be gone by now.
I was just looking at the list for the top economies with citys 300k or less and Cedar Rapids was in the top ten at around 5.4% unemployment , and your state over all had far better than average numbers for unemployment , even though your area has been hit. And just think , I am in West Michigan in the Grand Rapids area which has half the unemployment Detroit has on the east side.

Tags
None