New to the site with question - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > New Member Introductions

Old 05-20-2016, 02:38 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 2
View Rjw5780's Photo Album My Photos
Thumbs up New to the site with question

I've been following this site for a couple of years now and only just recently felt the need the sign up as I have a few topics I'm interested in discussing. A little background:
I am a former union painter in Monmouth County NJ (local #694). I stayed busy for the better part of 8 years, after completing my 3 year apprenticeship, until ever having to go to the hall and sign the book. Things got slow enough around 2007 that I decided to change my career and started working as an electrician for a nation wide railroad, working out of Newark, NJ. I completed their 3 year training program, got qualified, and its a decent wage that is all year steady so no complaints. That being said, I've also never really stopped painting on the side.

The last 2 years I've been taking my painting business a little more seriously and have started taking on bigger jobs. I also started advertising (a little), marketing, handing out business cards, and created a website.

So yes, I'm new to actually running my own painting contracting business but I am not new to painting by any means. My question is, I've been receiving an insane amount of calls and spammy emails since I started advertising. That's expected and I ignore 99% of them. But recently I received a call from Sherwin Williams in my town. The store manager said he found me online and "thinks he has some good opportunities for me, and some jobs lined up I could prob win bids on"...

Do they just want me to come in and open a pro account? Do they provide some type of lead service that I'm unaware of? I just want to know what they really are after before talking business with them. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Rob
Rjw5780 is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2016, 03:18 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,392
View Boco's Photo Album My Photos

I am guessing both. SWP has lined up a few jobs for me in the past with the assumption that I will use their products. I would go in and at least get a cash account set up, drop off a few cards and see what leads they have.
Boco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 08:26 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 199
View PNW Painter's Photo Album My Photos

Unless you're a regular at their shop or buy a lot of product from them then they'll never refer clients to you unless everyone else has passed on the job.

Of the 5-7 leads I've received from my local SW store almost all have them need to be completed ASAP and are usually jobs I pass on unless I have a hole in my schedule.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PNW Painter is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2016, 09:21 PM   #4
RH

Rewards Points: 7,318
Thanked 15,580 Times in 8,222 Posts
View RH's Photo Album My Photos

Can't hurt you to speak with them. Nor will opening up a pro-account do you any harm. Maybe you will get some jobs out of it.

Like anything business related these days, networking and getting yourself known is pretty valuable towards growing your company.

Bill Watterson
RH is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
contractor marketing, contractor programs, lead generation, new business, new member