Old to painting, new to technology - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > New Member Introductions

Old 03-30-2013, 09:28 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 14
Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,918 Posts
View Jmayspaint's Photo Album My Photos
Default Old to painting, new to technology

I think I am posting on introductions? Im Josh, been posting on here for a couple days. This is my first forum so I'm learning etiquette as I go. I'm one of those guys who has resisted technology, until recently I didn't even know how to get on the Internet. I am enjoying this forum tremendously.
I apprenticed at age 15 to a old union trained master, my father. I am the youngest of his six boys and the only one to follow him in the trade. He passed five years ago, I still think about him and his training every day, and I feel lucky to have had a formal apprenticeship. Dad always said painters were the Rodney Dangerfields of tradespeople, no respect. In these times, with the lack of organized labor,all trades are suffering. We desperately need a way to preserve trade knowledge, like this forum. The biggest mistake I have ever made was thinking I knew it all. Some things about painting may never change( like applying at the proper thickness) but my goal is to stay open to new ideas and never stop learning. Glad to be here
Jmayspaint is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Jmayspaint For This Useful Post:
benthepainter (06-30-2013), CApainter (03-30-2013), Dave Mac (03-30-2013), Dunbar Painting (03-30-2013), Rbriggs82 (03-30-2013), Scotiadawg (03-30-2013), scottjr (03-30-2013)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2013, 09:46 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,754
Thanked 2,064 Times in 1,356 Posts
View mudbone's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshmays1976 View Post
I think I am posting on introductions? Im Josh, been posting on here for a couple days. This is my first forum so I'm learning etiquette as I go. I'm one of those guys who has resisted technology, until recently I didn't even know how to get on the Internet. I am enjoying this forum tremendously.
I apprenticed at age 15 to a old union trained master, my father. I am the youngest of his six boys and the only one to follow him in the trade. He passed five years ago, I still think about him and his training every day, and I feel lucky to have had a formal apprenticeship. Dad always said painters were the Rodney Dangerfields of tradespeople, no respect. In these times, with the lack of organized labor,all trades are suffering. We desperately need a way to preserve trade knowledge, like this forum. The biggest mistake I have ever made was thinking I knew it all. Some things about painting may never change( like applying at the proper thickness) but my goal is to stay open to new ideas and never stop learning. Glad to be here
Glad your here and also glad you have that mindset. By the way nice work in those pics you posted.
mudbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 09:50 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,922
Thanked 2,491 Times in 1,405 Posts
View Dave Mac's Photo Album My Photos

JOsh welcome from waxhaw NC

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

powerwashingcharlottenc
Housewashingcharlottenc
Dave Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2013, 10:07 AM   #4
RH

Rewards Points: 10,110
Thanked 15,341 Times in 8,032 Posts
View RH's Photo Album My Photos

Welcome to PT Josh.

Groucho Marx
RH is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RH For This Useful Post:
Rbriggs82 (03-30-2013)
Old 03-30-2013, 10:12 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 890
Thanked 9,531 Times in 5,399 Posts
View CApainter's Photo Album My Photos

Good intro. Welcome aboard Josh!
CApainter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CApainter For This Useful Post:
Jmayspaint (06-02-2013)
Old 03-30-2013, 01:03 PM   #6
Delco, Pa

Rewards Points: 502
View scottjr's Photo Album My Photos

Welcome to PT Josh!
scottjr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to scottjr For This Useful Post:
Jmayspaint (06-02-2013)
Old 03-30-2013, 01:05 PM   #7
King Dude

Thanked 5,028 Times in 2,855 Posts
View Rbriggs82's Photo Album My Photos

Welcome to the group, nice intro!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|

|
|
Rbriggs82 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rbriggs82 For This Useful Post:
Jmayspaint (06-02-2013)
Old 03-30-2013, 02:57 PM   #8
still in the bucket

Rewards Points: 500
View cdaniels's Photo Album My Photos

Welcome Josh.
cdaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cdaniels For This Useful Post:
Jmayspaint (06-02-2013)
Old 03-30-2013, 04:11 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 582
View CliffK's Photo Album My Photos

Welcome Josh...very nice intro.
CliffK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CliffK For This Useful Post:
Jmayspaint (06-02-2013)
Old 03-31-2013, 10:35 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 25
View AZ Painting's Photo Album My Photos

Welcome to PT from Vancouver
AZ Painting is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AZ Painting For This Useful Post:
Jmayspaint (06-02-2013)
Old 04-02-2013, 10:29 PM   #11
Artisan journeymen

Rewards Points: 75
View Craftworks's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshmays1976 View Post
My run in the painting industry is like a dream . I remember being at the tale end of smelly paint that could kill you . They had some nasty product out in the 80's even when the first non oil alternatives showed up, the ammonia was kicking . I think now what i am seeing is amazing to me, paint products with low VOC. at first i saw it as a demon now I see since painters are the ones who smell the stuff new technology is for our benefit . If being healthier cost $65 per gallon I am going to sell it.What I see about the paint industry they do build a better mouse trap as the saying goes . AS to the ( like applying at the proper thickness) seems to me that each brand of paint from each company has there sweet spot. I am very used to Ben Moor but like Sherwin Williams as much .
---------------
With all due respect I realize in the industrial market stink killer paints are still about .

Last edited by Craftworks; 04-02-2013 at 10:32 PM..
Craftworks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Craftworks For This Useful Post:
Jmayspaint (06-02-2013)
Old 04-04-2013, 06:17 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 570
View mr.fixit's Photo Album My Photos

welcome Josh

mr.fixit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mr.fixit For This Useful Post:
Jmayspaint (06-02-2013)
Old 04-04-2013, 09:28 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 10
View nacdec's Photo Album My Photos

Welcome,
We might be the Rodney Dangerfields of tradespeople, but when we walk off the job, the final product is our work. I've always said the carpenters best friend is the painter on the job. We're the last one's off the job, and a nice feeling when you take that last look with your grip in your hand.
nacdec is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nacdec For This Useful Post:
Jmayspaint (04-04-2013), Neese's Painting (07-01-2013)
Old 06-30-2013, 09:08 AM   #14

Rewards Points: 14
Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,918 Posts
View Jmayspaint's Photo Album My Photos

Hey all, after being around a little while, I've changed my screen name to be consistent with my name in other venues. (Too hard to remember more than one)

Paint Talk rocks!
Jmayspaint is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jmayspaint For This Useful Post:
Neese's Painting (07-01-2013)

Tags
None