Ready to give it a shot...... - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > New Member Introductions

Old 10-23-2009, 11:52 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 250
View salestrainer's Photo Album My Photos
Default Ready to give it a shot......

Been reading this site daily for the last couple months, soaking up the info like a sponge. A little info about myself, been in sales all my life, currently sales manager of auto dealer group. Even though I have been successful in sales, I am tired of the grind, tired of baby sitting employees, customers, etc, and tired of 60 hour work weeks. How this relates to the paint field is this......earlier this summer decided to have our house painted, had difficulty just getting estimates and call backs, so decided to paint home myself. The wife had worked her way thru school working for a house painter, however my own experience was limited to renovating our last 2 houses. Anyway I spent about a month off and on including vacation painting, and I LOVED IT! Friends and neighbors asked who we used to paint, when I told them we did it ourselves, they started asking us to do theirs! So after must soul searching, have decided to start a painting business! Even though I have little experience, I am the kind of person when I decide to do something, I am a student of the game. Have already got my business cards, yard sign, and most of the equipment. Am looking for a cheap minivan to work out of, right now using the wife's van, lol! Anyway I know you guys are pretty tough on new folks, but i sell cars for a living, so i have thick skin. Plan on doing this part-time ( the wife only works part-time) till it takes off, hope to be out of the car biz within the next year. Have quit a few contacts, already have client wating rent houses painted. I don't feel I will have a lot of troulbe building a business, just need to gain technical experience. Any advice about how to aproach this will be apreciated.
salestrainer is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2009, 12:37 AM   #2
PinheadsUnite

Rewards Points: 1,696
Thanked 17,336 Times in 10,141 Posts
View daArch's Photo Album My Photos

Sales,

your post uncannily echoes another thread recently started. Before we all reiterate what we recently said, read:
https://www.painttalk.com/f2/looking-...tructure-6900/

AND take all of it to heart - it will fit you like a nice snug pair of boxers

"Are we having fun yet"

Last edited by daArch; 10-24-2009 at 01:03 AM..
daArch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to daArch For This Useful Post:
nEighter (10-24-2009)
Old 10-24-2009, 01:04 AM   #3

Read it, good info, thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2009, 03:06 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,658
Thanked 6,792 Times in 4,040 Posts
View ewingpainting.net's Photo Album My Photos

I have no clue what DaArch is talking about.
Welcome to the forum and I will be glad to service your needs. If you need to know what kind of paint to buy, if you should paint over caulking, what the going rate is or if you just need some moral support. We here at PT are concerned with your feelings as well. So please voice your hurt or happy feelings.
With all sincerity.
Love
Gabe
Still don't know what you mean DaArch.

Last edited by ewingpainting.net; 10-24-2009 at 03:15 AM..
ewingpainting.net is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ewingpainting.net For This Useful Post:
nEighter (10-24-2009)
Old 10-24-2009, 03:14 AM   #5

Really! Welcome from Cali
Old 10-24-2009, 03:28 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,000
View Last Craftsman's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by daArch View Post
Sales,

your post uncannily echoes another thread recently started.

Yes, it is eerily similar. Nomenclature and all.

Old 10-24-2009, 03:37 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewingpainting.net View Post
We here at PT are concerned with your feelings as well. So please voice your hurt or happy feelings.
With all sincerity.
Love
Gabe
Ok, now you are starting to scare me. This "feelings" thing was supposed to be temporary.

Where is the gruff Ewing that we all know and fear?

Have you been working around any Chinese drywall?
Spiking your coffee with Ecstasy?
Had a fall recently?

Old 10-24-2009, 03:59 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Craftsman View Post
Ok, now you are starting to scare me. This "feelings" thing was supposed to be temporary.

Where is the gruff Ewing that we all know and fear?

Have you been working around any Chinese drywall?
Spiking your coffee with Ecstasy?
Had a fall recently?

I think it my new cigars. Smoking my last one as we post, and they happen to be a rarity. See yall tomarrow.
Old 10-24-2009, 07:09 AM   #9
very senior member

Thanked 5,521 Times in 3,389 Posts
View chrisn's Photo Album My Photos

Are the red from Panama, or gold from Acapulco?
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 08:14 AM   #10
Born To Be Mild

Rewards Points: 2,000
Thanked 1,704 Times in 1,000 Posts
View bikerboy's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by salestrainer View Post
Been reading this site daily for the last couple months, soaking up the info like a sponge. A little info about myself, been in sales all my life, currently sales manager of auto dealer group. Even though I have been successful in sales, I am tired of the grind, tired of baby sitting employees, customers, etc, and tired of 60 hour work weeks. How this relates to the paint field is this......earlier this summer decided to have our house painted, had difficulty just getting estimates and call backs, so decided to paint home myself. The wife had worked her way thru school working for a house painter, however my own experience was limited to renovating our last 2 houses. Anyway I spent about a month off and on including vacation painting, and I LOVED IT! Friends and neighbors asked who we used to paint, when I told them we did it ourselves, they started asking us to do theirs! So after must soul searching, have decided to start a painting business! Even though I have little experience, I am the kind of person when I decide to do something, I am a student of the game. Have already got my business cards, yard sign, and most of the equipment. Am looking for a cheap minivan to work out of, right now using the wife's van, lol! Anyway I know you guys are pretty tough on new folks, but i sell cars for a living, so i have thick skin. Plan on doing this part-time ( the wife only works part-time) till it takes off, hope to be out of the car biz within the next year. Have quit a few contacts, already have client wating rent houses painted. I don't feel I will have a lot of troulbe building a business, just need to gain technical experience. Any advice about how to aproach this will be apreciated.
Had a successful 10 year sales carreer myself. Did not want to work in construction like the rest of my family. (always the rebel) The sales carreer will get you ready for getting the jobs and closing the deal. It will not prepare you for running the business and providing quality paint work.

I was lucky because I grew up in and around the painting business. Always had a job to fall back to as my adventures changed. Found out later in life that I actually love to paint.

Even with my background, I was not prepared to run a business. I can do the work, I can close the deal, but you will work as long or longer for your self than you did selling cars. (bet you most guys here will tell you that)

I have a mentor (my father) who ran the business for over 50 years. If I was in your shoes I'd:
  • Find a mentor.
  • Hire some real talent and pay them well. (not going to give you the "work for somebody else" crap because you are going to do what you want.)
  • Try to learn from your help.
  • Get out in the field, do the work. From top to bottom. You should learn how to perform every aspect.
  • Implement systems so your business can run itself with less guidence from you.
  • Get ready to work hard. (really hard)
  • Learn your production rates.
  • Invest in quality tools. You are going to use them every day.
Don't admire you or anyone who thinks it is easy because "I painted a couple of houses". If you want a successful business, it is so much more involved.

If it was that easy, they'd have late night infomercials selling you the "How to Become a Painting Zillionaire" system. Complete with a guy in a suit, surrounded by gorgeous women, a mansion in the background and expensive cars.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

bikerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bikerboy For This Useful Post:
painting247 (10-26-2009), PressurePros (10-24-2009), RCP (10-24-2009), Workaholic (10-24-2009)
Old 10-24-2009, 08:16 AM   #11
Born To Be Mild

Salestrainer, where are you located?

Old 10-24-2009, 01:27 PM   #12

Thanked 1,136 Times in 611 Posts
View y.painting's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by salestrainer View Post
tired of 60 hour work weeks
If you think running your own painting business will allow you more time off, you're in for a surprise. That 60 will become more like an 80.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to y.painting For This Useful Post:
nEighter (10-25-2009), painting247 (10-26-2009)
Old 10-24-2009, 01:47 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 3,012
Thanked 5,801 Times in 2,488 Posts
View PressurePros's Photo Album My Photos

Go in with your eyes open. I sold cars and have a friend who is a GM for a busy dealership. If you are currently an SM, you have a strong background for business ownership.

I know many seasoned painters get twisted at reading threads like this one. We all do because the majority of those buying tarps and brushes have no clue. They cannot market. They cannot sell. And they probably cannot paint.

So, five months later when the GF or wife starts getting annoyed as to why they are not working often enough, they begin to do TAPS marketing (as in "blowing TAPS" for the deceased). TAPS marketing has one byline.

"We'll beat any price." Say hello to a new lowballer hack.

Fail to plan and you plan to fail. A cliche that holds true. Get your ducks lined up, make sure you have other household income being generated and tighten your belt. A new business will drain you for at least two years before you start seeing decent return. That's just the nature of the beast, especially for someone with no experience in contracting.

Keep in mind, you are going to have to spend $1 on advertising to get back $6 in gross sales. You will be lucky as an owner operator to be able to take 40% of your gross sales. So here is a model:

Spend $10,000 on advertising
Get back $60,000 gross
You make $24,000

Balance the above with your lifestyle. Not working for "the man" is why many people quit jobs. Add in being undercapitalized and its a sure fire formula for either failure or struggling to get by year after year.

PressurePros is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PressurePros For This Useful Post:
bikerboy (10-24-2009), nEighter (10-25-2009), painting247 (10-26-2009), Workaholic (10-24-2009)
Old 10-25-2009, 12:39 AM   #14

From Kentucky, and thanks to everyone for the advice. I know it will not be easy, however everyone who knows me has said I am the hardest worker they know, and give everything I tackle 100%. That's what frustrates me about sales managing, I was in top 3% in nation in car sales because I outworked everyone else, it's not as easy to get 16 other people to be motivated and work hard. I admit, I am looking forward to only having to worry about myself, I know I can depend on me.
Thanks again for the advice, one technical question, looking at pole sanders, have manual one now, looking at dustless, should i go 7800 porter, or dustless tech model?
Old 10-25-2009, 12:45 AM   #15
RCP

Rewards Points: 78
Thanked 4,804 Times in 3,011 Posts
View RCP's Photo Album My Photos

Welcome to the site!
You may want to post the pole sander question on a new thread here, more will see it.

RCP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RCP For This Useful Post:
painting247 (10-26-2009)
Old 10-25-2009, 01:32 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
Are the red from Panama, or gold from Acapulco?

You are really dating yourself here. Probably from my parents generation.

While continuing to speak only in metaphors, who can spot this arcane reference:

" **** will get you through times of no money, better than money will get you through times of no **** "

And for heaven's sake, don't Google it you wussies.

I don't participate in the activity, but I was raised on the texts.
Old 10-25-2009, 01:48 AM   #17

Rewards Points: 2,486
Thanked 6,705 Times in 4,460 Posts
View Workaholic's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
You are really dating yourself here. Probably from my parents generation.
Workaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 06:28 AM   #18
very senior member

Thanked 5,521 Times in 3,389 Posts
View chrisn's Photo Album My Photos

[quote=Last Craftsman;97353]You are really dating yourself here. Probably from my parents generation.

yea, it HAS been awhile, but if I am in your parents generation you must be very young.
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 09:10 AM   #19
Born To Be Mild

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/images/B000EDSET2/ref=dp_image_0?ie=UTF8&n=228013&s=hi
Here is a link to what I use. Have the pole and hand held models. The pole version is a pain, but it does work. SW, Lowe's and Home Depot all carry the hand held version. Get a bag or a fancy filter for your shop vac.

http://www.amazon.com/Hyde-09175-Professional-Dustless-Sander/dp/B000EDSET2

Old 10-25-2009, 09:33 AM   #20
PinheadsUnite

Rewards Points: 1,696
Thanked 17,336 Times in 10,141 Posts
View daArch's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:

While continuing to speak only in metaphors, who can spot this arcane reference:

" **** will get you through times of no money, better than money will get you through times of no **** "
LC,

Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers.

"Are we having fun yet"
daArch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to daArch For This Useful Post:
Last Craftsman (10-25-2009)

Tags
None