Ready to re-think painting - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > New Member Introductions

Old 10-28-2011, 06:25 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
View Perfect Edge's Photo Album My Photos
Default Ready to re-think painting

Hi from Fort Collins, CO.

After taking a 3 year break from painting and thinking I wouldn't do it again... well here I am on a paint-nerd forum!.

I will be using this site to re-educate myself, maybe network and to see how various models are working for you all. I am very interested in learning more about the technical side of the trade.

If you care to read my rather lengthy intro, read on.

I grew up around restos and like a lot of you picked up painting as a college job (during art school). People liked my work and my attitude. I found a niche with faux painting, basic murals and higher-end painting around Denver, CO. and started working for myself, just from attention to detail. I have painted "professionally"; ie, for myself for a total of about 8 years now.

I realized recently that I spent enough time painting that I don't have many other hard marketable skills. I don't want to do this forever. In the bucket or at the other end. I don't hate it, but it is not my passion. I do see it as the greatest potential for me to make some $ and move on to another career as long as I stay dedicated to it. Coming back to it after a break has made me enjoy doing it again.

I started painting again recently; bought some tools, a trailer, contacted some old clients, designed some cards. I'm starting from scratch all over again. I do know a lot more about business and painting now. What I don't know is a lot of the jargon, techniques, chemicals, physics; the science to it all.

I want to approach my business this time as a business. Before, I always got work from referals and did OK. That is harder now with the economy, a cheap labor pool, a new area and me personally starting from scratch in my life without the money to throw at the image. Literally buying one tool at a time. In the beginning I plan on working for myself, whenever I can, even if the profit isn't high just to get my name out and have some favorable testimonials online. I've been networking and found some potentially decent sub work for the times between gigs. I want to pocket as much as I can over the next several months and hit an aggressive marketing campaign when I'm able. I want to appear to be a little bigger than I am. I want to attend seminars, workshops, etc. I'd like to be comfortable calling tradesmen, realtors, and designers to offer bids. I want to be fully insured, licensed, bonded, 2 good guys in my shirts and graphics on the trailer, with a well designed website in a year. My customer relations have always been outstanding, now I just need to re-focus. I have the experience, but I can always learn more. I realize that after just poking around here for a couple of days. Looking forward to tapping in to this community.

josh
Perfect Edge is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2011, 07:09 PM   #2
RH

Rewards Points: 10,140
Thanked 15,342 Times in 8,033 Posts
View RH's Photo Album My Photos

Welcome to PT Josh! Lots of good people and advice here (just try to avoid asking what you should be charging ).
Dan

Groucho Marx
RH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 07:11 PM   #3
PinheadsUnite

Rewards Points: 1,696
Thanked 17,336 Times in 10,141 Posts
View daArch's Photo Album My Photos

welcome Josh.

Nice country out there. My nephew, Thomas, is in Ft Collins.

I hope we all can help you succeed.

"Are we having fun yet"
daArch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2011, 07:25 PM   #4
Born 2 Paint

Rewards Points: 1,394
Thanked 2,924 Times in 1,609 Posts
View 6126's Photo Album My Photos

Welcome aboard. I paint because it is my passion. I could think of many other ways to earn a living, but my motto has always been...."Love your job, and never work another day in your life" Of course as I am getting older, I am starting to realize more and more I did work that day by the time I get home.
6126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 07:40 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 250
View jenni's Photo Album My Photos

come on in!
jenni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 07:44 PM   #6
A Brush Above

Rewards Points: 2,598
Thanked 3,573 Times in 1,861 Posts
View Paradigmzz's Photo Album My Photos

Welcome from a former resident of Ft. Collins/ Loveland. I used to paint for Brian Farmer of APC.

I know quite a few faux artists in your area. Welcome.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Quote:
I wouldn't worry about it.This internet thing aint gonna last
Paradigmzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 08:08 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 250
View Florida1's Photo Album My Photos

I like your intro, it's original. Also I too believe this trade like any other trade should and always should be treated as a business. You will gravitate towards the most profitable buyers if you do.
Florida1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 08:31 PM   #8
Old as dirt member

Rewards Points: 688
Thanked 8,440 Times in 4,284 Posts
View Schmidt & Co.'s Photo Album My Photos

Welcome to the forum!
Old 10-28-2011, 08:45 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 2,486
Thanked 6,705 Times in 4,460 Posts
View Workaholic's Photo Album My Photos

I rethink painting hourly and occasionally daily.

Welcome to the forum
Workaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Workaholic For This Useful Post:
chrisn (10-29-2011), Ultimate (10-29-2011)
Old 10-28-2011, 11:58 PM   #10
Almost Gone

Rewards Points: 516
Thanked 6,375 Times in 3,757 Posts
View TJ Paint's Photo Album My Photos

Hi there.

Forgive me, I didnt read your intro yet...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
TJ Paint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 06:32 AM   #11
Born To Be Mild

Rewards Points: 2,000
Thanked 1,704 Times in 1,000 Posts
View bikerboy's Photo Album My Photos

Welcome aboard.

bikerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 08:50 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 130
View Delta Painting's Photo Album My Photos

Welcome to PT...

Delta Painting is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 10:39 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 2,658
Thanked 6,792 Times in 4,040 Posts
View ewingpainting.net's Photo Album My Photos

Welcome
ewingpainting.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 10:42 AM   #14

Rewards Points: 572
View mpminter's Photo Album My Photos

Welcome aboard!
mpminter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 11:17 AM   #15
Painting & More

Rewards Points: 526
View A+HomeWork's Photo Album My Photos

Ask for the referrals when completing a good job and you will have business where ever you live.

A+HomeWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 12:26 PM   #16

Rewards Points: 570
View mr.fixit's Photo Album My Photos

welcome and good luck

mr.fixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 12:56 PM   #17

Rewards Points: 10
View Perfect Edge's Photo Album My Photos

Thanks for all the welcomes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by A+HomeWork View Post
Ask for the referrals when completing a good job and you will have business where ever you live.
All my jobs are good ones! I definitely will. Almost every client I've painted for in the past will give me a referral. There is always that one guy that busts the balls of every single tradesmen on the job.

josh
Perfect Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 04:15 PM   #18

Rewards Points: 536
View Sully's Photo Album My Photos

Welcome to the boards. This is a great place for pointers, help, and ideas. You and I seem to be on similar paths. I also went to art school and have begun my own painting business slowly building it bigger and bigger. It's hard work but it will pay off. Good luck to you
Sully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 07:59 PM   #19

Rewards Points: 27
View Long Island Painter's Photo Album My Photos

Welcome, very good introduction. Yes it is hard work. Some days I love what I do and others days I wonder what else can I do that gives me this much satisfaction at the end of the day. You sound like you have a good head on your shoulders, just stay on top of the business end and you will do just fine. I've picked up plenty of good information here and so will you. Good Luck
Long Island Painter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 01:58 AM   #20
SeHablaEspañol

Rewards Points: 500
View AztecPainting's Photo Album My Photos

The drive of thinking on being a business owner rather than just somebody that paint talk a lot about you.

Being a business owner and provide for your own and other employees it's a lot harder than you think, hard work will take you everywhere you want.

Wish you good luck!
><
>
AztecPainting is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None