Rook - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > New Member Introductions

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By RH
Closed Thread

Old 12-01-2018, 07:03 AM   #1
ATD

View ATD's Photo Album My Photos
Default Rook

I just joined this forum as the few threads I read indicated it offers a community with a lot of knowledge and experience...yet also affords one that encourages open dialogue, even when opinions are diverse.

Me? I am no professional painter. However, I have a great deal of experience painting, going back forty years to my first Summer job at the age of 15, during which I spent three months painting a large portion of various parts of a huge linen plant in Atlanta. I was given a bucket, a brush and a ladder and told to get to it. I had no idea what I was doing and got no training or assistance whatsoever...other than one useful piece of advice from a cranky old maintenance guy who shouted at me, “Put some f-in paint on your brush!” as he walked by me one day. Forty years later, I still load my brush to ensure I’m applying an even and adequate coat of paint that will brush smooth and lady for years.

While still a kid, I painted my uncle’s beach house in return for spending vacation time there. He was an extremely picky man...so, I was already showing talent.

As an adult, I have I painted my own houses, inside and out and tend to strive for excellence if not perfectionism. For me...one of the biggest keys to a quality paint job is ATD (attention to detail)...particularly during prep. The other key to a successful hub is using quality paint and related products and taking care of that equipment.

During the past year, I have been painting interior/exterior portions of a beautiful 60-year-old custom built rancher that is in excellent condition. As always, I am constantly figuring out or otherwise learning new tricks and improved techniques.

Already quite adept at rolling and brushing, I have just recently moved into the foray of the airless sprayer. It’s definity a horse of a different color and a bit intimidating when starting out. But, when you need it a thing, you need it...and I needed definitely needed it (to cover a lot of purple trim and built-ins.) After a week of educating myself and ‘diving into my first project,’ I can say I am adapting well to this new princess for painting.

Perhaps I can share some of the things I’ve learned and techniques I use in this forum.. Good or bad, they may at least stimulate dialog or, then again, may actually help out someone. I also look forward to learning a great deal from such an experienced and professional community.

Thanks for having me!

All the Best,

ATD
The Following User Says Thank You to ATD For This Useful Post:
RH (12-01-2018)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2018, 09:21 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 230
View Pete Martin the Painter's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATD View Post
I just joined this forum as the few threads I read indicated it offers a community with a lot of knowledge and experience...yet also affords one that encourages open dialogue, even when opinions are diverse.

Me? I am no professional painter. However, I have a great deal of experience painting, going back forty years to my first Summer job at the age of 15, during which I spent three months painting a large portion of various parts of a huge linen plant in Atlanta. I was given a bucket, a brush and a ladder and told to get to it. I had no idea what I was doing and got no training or assistance whatsoever...other than one useful piece of advice from a cranky old maintenance guy who shouted at me, “Put some f-in paint on your brush!” as he walked by me one day. Forty years later, I still load my brush to ensure I’m applying an even and adequate coat of paint that will brush smooth and lady for years.

While still a kid, I painted my uncle’s beach house in return for spending vacation time there. He was an extremely picky man...so, I was already showing talent.

As an adult, I have I painted my own houses, inside and out and tend to strive for excellence if not perfectionism. For me...one of the biggest keys to a quality paint job is ATD (attention to detail)...particularly during prep. The other key to a successful hub is using quality paint and related products and taking care of that equipment.

During the past year, I have been painting interior/exterior portions of a beautiful 60-year-old custom built rancher that is in excellent condition. As always, I am constantly figuring out or otherwise learning new tricks and improved techniques.

Already quite adept at rolling and brushing, I have just recently moved into the foray of the airless sprayer. It’s definity a horse of a different color and a bit intimidating when starting out. But, when you need it a thing, you need it...and I needed definitely needed it (to cover a lot of purple trim and built-ins.) After a week of educating myself and ‘diving into my first project,’ I can say I am adapting well to this new princess for painting.

Perhaps I can share some of the things I’ve learned and techniques I use in this forum.. Good or bad, they may at least stimulate dialog or, then again, may actually help out someone. I also look forward to learning a great deal from such an experienced and professional community.

Thanks for having me!

All the Best,

ATD
Welcome to the group.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-01-2018, 11:28 AM   #3
RH

Rewards Points: 7,336
Thanked 15,581 Times in 8,223 Posts
View RH's Photo Album My Photos

Good introduction - but since this IS a site for professional painters I am going to close this thread to avoid the posting of any snarky responses that this type of thread will often elicit from a few members.

I do strongly recommend you repost your intro over at our sister site; www.DIYChatroom.com. Many people going there will welcome and appreciate the advice of an advanced DIYer such as yourself.

We apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused. This thread has been closed.
lilpaintchic likes this.

Bill Watterson
Closed Thread