SE Michigan Painter new member - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > New Member Introductions

Old 12-30-2010, 12:39 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 20
View Nigel's Photo Album My Photos
Default SE Michigan Painter new member

Hello Paint Talk,

29 yrsold, I've been painting for 10 years...mostly in retail stores for other contractors. Kinda of slam bam painter upbringing with Circut City being our main account. We did allot of other buliding maintence/construction as well. They went outta buisness and things got real slow. Been laid off for a couple years now.

I started painting homes by myself and have been learning alot. Work isn't steady but I'm charging a good amount and my limited clients have been very pleased. (even though I always wasn't)

I'm pretty much self taught on alot of stuff... I've been using alot of stuff from Home depot and just havn't been geting the results I want. I'm pretty tidy and am pretty good with a brush. Co- workers (roller guys) always liked the way I cut in. I just feel like I need to know more about quality paints and products. When and when not to use them.

I did a room with deep red/burgundy this week..and it came out kinda funky lookin. Even after 2 coats. It was Behr paintprimer in one. And I used the purple tinted primer underneath...HO were happy and I've done other rooms for them. He always likes to buy the paint. So while I'm working he's runnin back and forth from paint store. I'm sure he thinks I'll mark up the price on em...(whatever)

So I would like to have a better knowledge of what nap to use and what cieling paints hide the best and how to paint a room red and have it pefrect looking cover wise. As a nuetral color would look. Things like that are whats holding me back from the quality looking finishes I'm looking for.

THese naps from home depot were shedding fibers into the red paint today and I was about to frickin lose it. I just feel like I'm using a bunch of junk and it's holding me back. And the stuff just would not cover. Even thought he HO were thrilled and laughing and very happy....(you know the room still had the WOW factor) But I left feeling like I didn't do my best.

Wow sorry guys ....I guess I'm just here to vent tonight, Anyways Glad to be here And I hope to learn a ton from this place and start conducting my painting like a proffesional and not some Home Depot Hack.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2010, 12:47 AM   #2
Old as dirt member

Rewards Points: 688
Thanked 8,440 Times in 4,284 Posts
View Schmidt & Co.'s Photo Album My Photos

Welcome, and thanks for the intro! Your in the right place. There are a lot of good people here that are more than willing to help....
Old 12-30-2010, 12:50 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,486
Thanked 6,705 Times in 4,460 Posts
View Workaholic's Photo Album My Photos

Wow we sure have gotten a rush of Michigan people lately. Thanks for the intro, see you in the threads.
Workaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2010, 12:53 AM   #4
RCP

Rewards Points: 78
Thanked 4,803 Times in 3,011 Posts
View RCP's Photo Album My Photos

Great intro, (well except for the Behr part)!
Welcome to the forum, I think if you found a local paint store like Sherwin Williams, Benjamin Moore or other, you'd find a better level of service and products.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
RCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 01:16 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 10
View SWMich's Photo Album My Photos

Hey Nigel,

Welcome aboard.
To combat the roller fuzz try wrapping your new rollers with painters tape and pull it off slow. Or if you have a 5 gallon pale and a brush spinner, dampen the roller, put it down in the bucket spin out the water.

I agree with RCP. Find a paint store that caters to the needs of professionals.
SWMich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 06:48 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,030
Thanked 4,211 Times in 2,057 Posts
View aaron61's Photo Album My Photos

Welcome Nigel. If the HO is doing your running he's probably buying the rollers as well,Right? Like anything else,you get what you pay for!
If you want to move up in the ranks start utilizing "paint stores" SW,Ben More,ICI,Porter, etc. and buy your own stuff.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

aaron61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 08:00 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 10
View supplyman's Photo Album My Photos

Welcome Nigel,
I am also fairly new to this site and have found great information. Good Luck to you in the upcoming year
supplyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 08:02 AM   #8
Paint Store Owner

Rewards Points: 2,000
Thanked 2,995 Times in 1,802 Posts
View NCPaint1's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWMich View Post
I agree with RCP. Find a paint store that caters to the needs of professionals.
Welcome from another Michigander We have 2 stores in SE Michigan, Commerce and White Lake. If I can ever help you out just let me know There are quite a few good stores in the area, where abouts are you?

NCPaint1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 09:30 AM   #9
A Brush Above

Rewards Points: 2,598
Thanked 3,573 Times in 1,861 Posts
View Paradigmzz's Photo Album My Photos

Greetings from Texas. As per your paint choices, you and a guy named Jack Pauhl (on this site) are gonna get along just fine....

Quote:
I wouldn't worry about it.This internet thing aint gonna last
Paradigmzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Paradigmzz For This Useful Post:
ReNt A PaInTeR (12-30-2010)
Old 12-30-2010, 11:38 AM   #10
PaInTeR ExTrAoRdInAiRe

Rewards Points: 1,172
Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,569 Posts
View ReNt A PaInTeR's Photo Album My Photos

I wouldn't even use Behr to paint my dog's house

|
|
|
|
|
ReNt A PaInTeR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ReNt A PaInTeR For This Useful Post:
NCPaint1 (12-30-2010)
Old 01-01-2011, 10:33 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 20
View Nigel's Photo Album My Photos
Default Wow

WOW ....Thanks for the warm welcome....Lots of funny responses. Happy New Year ! I Look forward to seeing and chatting with you guys on the boards.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 10:37 AM   #12
Born To Be Mild

Rewards Points: 2,000
Thanked 1,704 Times in 1,000 Posts
View bikerboy's Photo Album My Photos

Welcome and Happy New year.

bikerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 10:41 AM   #13
Lambrecht Painting

Rewards Points: 1,094
Thanked 1,307 Times in 656 Posts
View Lambrecht's Photo Album My Photos

Welcome. Do yourself a favor and spend an hour a day using the "search" engine on this site. You will learn tons. Stop letting the homeowner buy your materials and good luck in the coming year.
Old 01-01-2011, 12:05 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 1,000
Thanked 1,136 Times in 611 Posts
View y.painting's Photo Album My Photos

Welcome to the boards!

One piece of advice I can give you is to be firm with HOs that you only use and warranty materials that you've purchased yourself; say it's a company policy and stick with it. Explain to them that on a typical job, materials are about 10-15% of the total cost; tell them that they are paying mostly for your labor, not the materials.

Like others have said, try to get away from the big box store stuff. Get stuff from Sherwin-Williams or stores carrying BM. Open a charge account with them. As you grow and purchase a lot of materials from the same place, you can negotiate good deals on a per/gallon basis.

For better quality rollers try lambswool, wooster. Wooster 50/50 is also good for general everyday use. Many people love the purdy colossus line found in SW. Don't let your covers soak overnight - they will shed more.
y.painting is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None