Sherwin Williams Employee! - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > New Member Introductions

Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By Gymschu
  • 1 Post By chrisn
  • 1 Post By Wolfgang
  • 1 Post By Wolfgang
  • 1 Post By RH

Old 10-07-2018, 12:42 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 20
View Starbite's Photo Album My Photos
Default Sherwin Williams Employee!

I'm a Sherwin Williams employee with six years experience! ((please don't hate me)) I've personally seen many changes in the coatings industry and the way things are done at a retail and a commercial level of customer service. I'd like to introduce myself on a personal level and offer advice for any questions regarding the company I work for. Just please don't ask for custom gel stain matches or ask me to make kilim beige in a semi-transparent deck stain!

EDIT: I did work as a painter/maintenance tech/ for a health clinic and hospital before I took the job behind the counter so I know how much suck can be involved in taping/papering the floor of a commercial building can be.

Last edited by Starbite; 10-07-2018 at 12:58 AM..
Starbite is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2018, 02:03 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 120
View Gymschu's Photo Album My Photos

No hate here. I'm one of the very few painters on here that uses SW paints. I say it regularly......I have one of the best SW stores in the country. Seriously. Service is 2nd to none. I know that's unheard of in SW's world. The employees are all experienced, some with well over 20 years in. I know I went to an SW store in a neighboring county and they couldn't hold a candle to my regular store. Service was poor. In fact, I had to tell them a few things that they didn't know about the paint I was getting. It was frustrating. I know it's tough being behind the counter sometimes. The complaints are endless and then you add in a few DIYers who need their hand held while they select paint, and, well to me, no fun at all.
Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 06:25 PM   #3
very senior member

Rewards Points: 4
Thanked 5,523 Times in 3,391 Posts
View chrisn's Photo Album My Photos

You are one very lucky man! Even without the service, I still prefer PPG, but that's just me.
Gymschu likes this.
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2018, 07:52 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 120
View Gymschu's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
You are one very lucky man! Even without the service, I still prefer PPG, but that's just me.
@chrisn, I know I've mentioned this ad nauseam........the reason I think my local store is so good is that it is labeled as a TRAINING store for new employees and mgt trainees, so, it's always stocked with an experienced manager and at least 2 or 3 highly experienced employees. The former mgr retired after 40 years and the new mgr has 25 years of experience with SW. That makes for a pretty good store.
Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gymschu For This Useful Post:
chrisn (10-08-2018), Wolfgang (10-08-2018)
Old 10-08-2018, 11:19 AM   #5
Renegade Mod

Rewards Points: 52
Thanked 8,708 Times in 4,076 Posts
View Wolfgang's Photo Album My Photos

Never had a problem with a couple stores here either. At the others, my pricing came up differently on the computer. Easily fixed. The only BM dealers were Ace Hardware Stores for a couple of years. PPG had some good stores. Some of the best hands down were the Diamond Vogel stores. Mainly a regional paint out of Orange City, IA. Some of the best interior and exterior products I've ever used.
Gymschu likes this.
Old 10-08-2018, 11:23 AM   #6
Renegade Mod

The main BM store was actually the only one before he folded. Was more of an interior decorator type store. No special pricing for contractors at all. All the contractor based info was on 3x5 cards as was most of the paint mix formula's. Didn't make any difference, they couldn't match or mix paint worth a damn.

Had a good P&L store. Pretty good product, just slow as hell getting an order matched, mixed and ready to go.
Old 10-08-2018, 11:32 AM   #7
Renegade Mod

Of course I got all or my Dutch Boy at Menards lol. The funny thing about Menards was that I could buy Purdy brushes there cheaper than SW who owned them. Checked the other day and they still are. I have no idea why, because no matter what others may claim, they were not seconds. The only Purdy seconds I've ever seen were on Ebay. Always laughed about all the threads that have been on here about seconds.

Then those fancy red brushes were all the schizz on here. Forgot what they were called. Most had problems with the bristles falling out after a few uses. Not much good unless you could call it a new faux design lol.

Most Woosters were always a good brush.

Coronas were good.

Funny how everyone has their favorites. But it was decent they did, because some would spend the money to try others out. Some switched, some didn't. It all boils down to personal preference.
Wildbill7145 likes this.
Old 10-08-2018, 04:50 PM   #8
RH

Rewards Points: 7,342
Thanked 15,581 Times in 8,223 Posts
View RH's Photo Album My Photos

I’ve shared that I am fortunate to have two great paint stores in my area. One is the SW store (also a training store) and a Miller Paint store (which, besides their own lines, also carries PPG, Manor Hall, Kelly Moore, and Target Coatings products).

Just found out that we are getting a new paint store in town that will be the third outlet from a company that has stores in two other cities. They will be carrying Benjamin Moore as their main line which will be a big improvement over the lumber yard and then then, later, the farm supply outfit that had been carrying their paints.
Gymschu likes this.

Bill Watterson

Last edited by RH; 10-08-2018 at 04:56 PM..
RH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 01:38 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 1,402
View Vylum's Photo Album My Photos

nothing but bad experiences from them all the way from the product to the employees
Vylum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 01:33 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 20
View Starbite's Photo Album My Photos

The store I work at is a training store! Graco and Titan reps actually show up and train employees not only how to spray different coatings, from flat builder beige to elastomeric roof coatings, but how to care for and maintain pumps, I don't think you can find that sort of thing at a big box store.
Starbite is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None