Transition to Full Time Painting - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > New Member Introductions

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By MikeCalifornia
  • 2 Post By PNW Painter
  • 1 Post By Gymschu

Old 03-14-2019, 09:26 PM   #1
Robert N

Rewards Points: 4
View rd31newton's Photo Album My Photos
Default Transition to Full Time Painting

I'm looking for comments on painters who have transitioned from a full time job (other than painting) to a full time painter / business owner. I've been in Purchasing for 25 years and began painting part time 3 years ago. Looking to leave Purchasing and grow my painting business. Anyone out there who has pulled this off and their advice/thoughts/comments?
rd31newton is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2019, 01:00 AM   #2

Thanked 1,053 Times in 684 Posts
View MikeCalifornia's Photo Album My Photos

I left SW after 13 years with them. I had no hands-on experience except from my own painting and SW training which was a lot, as I had many jobs with them. It took me about a year to get my license, develop a game plan for leaving, and then ultimately take the leap. It is not easy, as my pay the first year was well below what I made at SW. By the third year it was about the same, now six years in its well above. I started as a one man show, three years ago I started hiring guys, went through a few, now have a two full time and looking to add a third to get myself out of the bucket. Relationships are key, finding clients who will put your name out is the pot of gold. Having an online presence of course, website, etc. Steady growth was my plan and I stick to it. I don't go for high risk, high reward type of work, just interior/exterior residential, cabinets, some TI commercial work.
Gymschu likes this.
MikeCalifornia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 02:29 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 199
View PNW Painter's Photo Album My Photos

You should take a look this thread: So you think you want to be a painting contractor?
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sha...9&share_type=t

Lots of great info that you should find helpful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gymschu and Wildbill7145 like this.
PNW Painter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2019, 10:48 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 118
View Gymschu's Photo Album My Photos

I held various jobs from retail sporting goods to wholesale electronics sales and even marketing industrial vacuum equipment. I hated the layering of bosses over me. For example, in retail you always have a district mgr, a regional mgr, a national rep, and a franchise rep so leaving all of that behind to paint full-time was a great stress relief.

Just be good at what you do. Do great work and you will rarely be out of work. Save some money up for the leanness of your start-up. Unless you plan on getting a small business loan (I wish I had done that) you will be starved for cash from buying equipment and supplies, paying insurance, employees, etc. It is amazing how much money a painter can spend just on brushes and rollers. Be prepared for all of that.

I encourage you in this endeavor. At this point in time, there is not enough tradespeople to do all the work that needs done in this healthy economy. I have turned down more good jobs in the 3 months of 2019 than I've turned down in the previous FIVE years put together.
Holland likes this.
Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 07:41 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 250
View Epoxy Pro's Photo Album My Photos

I taught someone the basics and how to spray all with phone calls or texts. It took 3 or 4 years before this person was comfortable enough to try and take on some painting jobs. Business wise he was all set at, he was good at that part of the job. His company subs out work and now is doing well. He is bringing in way more work than my old painting company did.

If you can paint that's only one side of the business. The real part that is hard is the paper work. That is where you will succeed or just be a paid business owner.

Last time I talked to him he was closing in on closing 1 million dollars of business.
Epoxy Pro is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None