Traveling and painting - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > New Member Introductions

Old 10-21-2010, 12:58 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
View Dusty Baseboard's Photo Album My Photos
Default Traveling and painting

Hey,

This forum has been quite useful and entertaining, so I decided to join up. I've just started doing some contract work by myself, but am thinking of doing something different. If I could get some advice, I'd appreciate it.

I'm thinking of going on a road trip around the US, staying in my car and in campgrounds. I'd use my painting skills to pay expenses and hopefully save up some money, too.

As contractors, and the people doing the hiring, I'd like to get your opinion on the best way to get temporary work.
Where would be the best places to get temporary painting work?
What would be the best work to specialize in for temporary work (I'm thinking commercial)?
What would be the best way to present myself to employers??
How can I minimize being seen as an unreliable drifter?

I've got about 4 years experience in residential house painting, and I'm RRP certified (just me, not my firm).
Dusty Baseboard is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2010, 01:02 PM   #2
Save 2nd base!

Rewards Points: 9,606
Thanked 4,371 Times in 1,908 Posts
View ProWallGuy's Photo Album My Photos

You want the truth or a lie?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ProWallGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 02:05 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 874
View jacob33's Photo Album My Photos

Its going to be difficult. Big cities have day labor camps. You just go to those someone picks you up you work that day. I think that is your only hope with your plan.
jacob33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2010, 03:06 PM   #4

Ah, I see. Thanks for the truth.
Is this because of the current economic climate in construction trades?
How long would someone have to stay in one place (or give that impression, at least) to get decent work?
Or, what if I did it in the spring, when painting kicks off, and extra help would be more attractive to employers?
Old 10-21-2010, 03:09 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 500
View BC_Painter's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Baseboard View Post
Ah, I see. Thanks for the truth.
Is this because of the current economic climate in construction trades?
How long would someone have to stay in one place (or give that impression, at least) to get decent work?
Or, what if I did it in the spring, when painting kicks off, and extra help would be more attractive to employers?

I wouldn't hire someone that can't be there several months at least.

Really some companies have seasonal staff, since there is such an influx of work in the summer months. Your best bet is to stick in one area for the entire exterior season dedicated to one good company.

Just keep in mind that the best guys are busy year round, and you may have to settle for the middle ground or franchise companies for this to work. You'll have to be extra careful who you chose to work for because of this.

In any case that's the best advice I can give based on your situation, best of luck.

Real Life Steve Austin the Bionic Man
BC_Painter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 10:35 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 948
Thanked 9,538 Times in 5,404 Posts
View CApainter's Photo Album My Photos

Like BC said, you should plan on staying in one area for a time. Not only will it give you an opportunity to earn more, but you'll also learn more about the community you're visiting. You'll get the most out of this experience. Maybe you'll be like the guy in that old TV series "Then Came Bronson". He's a romantic drifter making his way across America, one small town at a time, saving lives, and breakin hearts.
CApainter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 03:54 PM   #7
Globalcoat Painting

Rewards Points: 75
View Scottclarkpainting's Photo Album My Photos

USA is different to Australia, if you come down here for a road trip around the country you will have no worries finding work even if its for a week only. As long as you have the correct work visa. Australia is booming and we have a shortage of Tradesmen.
Scottclarkpainting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 05:41 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 500
View dubinpainting's Photo Album My Photos

I think in your situation you should just work for someone else. It takes time to build a business and a reputation! If your just going from place to place you have no backing and your company is not reputable.
Read the ads on CraigsList you might get some good temp work from there. Other then that I wouldent plan on anything to big.
dubinpainting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 08:12 PM   #9

Thanks all, for the advice.

I have to admit I just thought of the whole idea about an hour before I posted it, and just had to get an opinion on it's feasibility.

But what Scottclarkpainting said has sure got me interested in seeing how easy it would be to get a work visa in Australia.
Old 10-23-2010, 03:45 AM   #10
Globalcoat Painting

Rewards Points: 75
View Scottclarkpainting's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Baseboard View Post
Thanks all, for the advice.

I have to admit I just thought of the whole idea about an hour before I posted it, and just had to get an opinion on it's feasibility.

But what Scottclarkpainting said has sure got me interested in seeing how easy it would be to get a work visa in Australia.
Pretty easy to get one from what I have heard.
Scottclarkpainting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 09:38 AM   #11
PinheadsUnite

Rewards Points: 1,696
Thanked 17,336 Times in 10,141 Posts
View daArch's Photo Album My Photos

Yah,

With the economy still in the initial stages of a recovery, it would be hard for a drifter to find work as a painter.

Look at it from an employer's point of view. Now is the time to give quality work to build a good reputation in the community so when things do get better, he's got a good foundation of trust and reliability. A smart employer also wants to build a reliable work force, one who will be there when times get busy. He has probably laid of some decent painters, so he would be more apt to hire them back when needed. It could be tough selling your services to a painting contractor. I know I would consider those who appear to have some stability in their lives before hiring what appears to be a drifter.

True, if you hang out at the big box stores or on the corner, you could probably fight for a place in the pick-up trucks that hire the illegals for a day.

And if you try to be the typical itinerant painter out on your own, think of it from the HO's point of view. Most will want to hire someone who is local and established to provide service if anything goes wrong.

Now is not the time to play Paladin Painter - Have Brush, Will Travel.

IMO.

"Are we having fun yet"
daArch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 01:52 PM   #12
A Brush Above

Rewards Points: 2,598
Thanked 3,573 Times in 1,861 Posts
View Paradigmzz's Photo Album My Photos

If you are drifting, how on earth are you going to have internet access to get on Paint Talk?
Paradigmzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 03:30 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 270
View IHATE_HOMEDEPOT's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via Skype™ to IHATE_HOMEDEPOT
Default Who you gunna call?

Their Motto " Start Low Go High ". In other words you are not going to get paid much so you might as well get baked.
I am the guy at the far left and I approved this message.

Last edited by IHATE_HOMEDEPOT; 10-23-2010 at 03:44 PM..
IHATE_HOMEDEPOT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None