An unexperienced wanna be painter saying hello. - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > New Member Introductions

Old 06-30-2010, 07:34 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
View onelug77's Photo Album My Photos
Default An unexperienced wanna be painter saying hello.

Hello All. First post obviously and I'm just here to get ideas. a post was made that caught my eye about an inexperienced painter starting his own business, then crashing and burning. In order to master any trade you need to work on it so I don't have any thoughts of being successful immediately.

I've painted before here and there but I don't qualify as someone with significant experience. Where I live in NJ, its hard to even get work with someone else if you don't have any so I'd rather do my own thing. Most jobs I've had in my lifetime I didn't have experience and I was able to master them so why not this? I actually have a transport business thats doing well enough, but I'd rather do a trade that doesn't require years of schooling and working for other people or licensing. The costs of being a painter should be cheaper than being a courier as far as gas/insurance is concerned.

I'm not going to ramble any longer so let me get back to reading threads.
onelug77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2010, 07:44 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,658
Thanked 6,792 Times in 4,040 Posts
View ewingpainting.net's Photo Album My Photos

How wise are you?
ewingpainting.net is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ewingpainting.net For This Useful Post:
johnpaint (06-30-2010)
Old 06-30-2010, 07:44 PM   #3
Save 2nd base!

Rewards Points: 9,608
Thanked 4,372 Times in 1,908 Posts
View ProWallGuy's Photo Album My Photos

Make sure to read this one.

And welcome to painttalk.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ProWallGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2010, 07:50 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,076
Thanked 1,311 Times in 724 Posts
View Rcon's Photo Album My Photos

If you work as a contractor in the states I believe you are required to be licensed.

Your insurance costs will double (liability insurance plus WCB)

You still have to spend years working for someone else or you won't have any idea what you're doing. Just because you've swung a bruch once or twice doesn't make you a painter.

You're in for a big surprise if you think you can just 'take up painting as a business'.

While you don't need formal schooling - journeymen painters spend 4 years in college during their apprenticeships.

The costs of being a painter are going to be much higher than you seem to think they are.

Good luck!
Rcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 07:58 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcon View Post

If you work as a contractor in the states I believe you are required to be licensed.

Your insurance costs will double (liability insurance plus WCB)

You still have to spend years working for someone else or you won't have any idea what you're doing. Just because you've swung a bruch once or twice doesn't make you a painter.

You're in for a big surprise if you think you can just 'take up painting as a business'.

While you don't need formal schooling - journeymen painters spend 4 years in college during their apprenticeships.

The costs of being a painter are going to be much higher than you seem to think they are.

Good luck!

I understand what you're saying but everyone is different. Some people can pick up things faster or slower than others as well. I don't have overly high expectations and at the end of the day I like doing things for the challenge of it. I new nothing about being a courier or the courier industry in general but I've been able to be successful. You get out what you put in to things.

I know people that have been in their trade with "years" of experience and make mistakes all the time. With any trade you have to constantly lean and find ways to get better. I don't like working for other people which is why I started a business in the first place. where there's a will there is a way.
Old 06-30-2010, 08:01 PM   #6

Yes, painting industry is very comparable to the courier industry. What did you deliver?
Old 06-30-2010, 08:02 PM   #7

Quote:

You still have to spend years working for someone else or you won't have any idea what you're doing. Just because you've swung a bruch once or twice doesn't make you a painter. Why does it have to take "years"? Everyone doesn't move at the same pace.

Everyone doesn't move at the same pace.
Old 06-30-2010, 08:05 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewingpainting.net View Post
Yes, painting industry is very comparable to the courier industry. What did you deliver?

Just about anything that fits in my cargo van. from office supplies to medical supplies. school drops to hospitals to airports. I have 5 steady clients and I also contract with a local courier. The money is nice but the hours are demanding and you always have to deal with low ballers. It seems like a saturated market up here as well. I like being on the road and driving and thats why I have few complaints right now.
Old 06-30-2010, 08:07 PM   #9

You are a wise one.
We welcome all non legitimate painting contractor to the forum
WELCOME!
The Following User Says Thank You to ewingpainting.net For This Useful Post:
nEighter (07-01-2010)
Old 06-30-2010, 08:11 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 2,486
Thanked 6,705 Times in 4,460 Posts
View Workaholic's Photo Album My Photos

Welcome to PT onelug, Take advantage of the search feature as much as possible. A lot of entry level questions have been covered before and by using the search feature you may get some great info from members who might not be posting right now.

I am of the type that feel that you need some proper experience to take on this task. Are you jumping into this with both feet? Or are still working in a different field? Do you have any jobs lined up? If so keep track of all the details so you can learn from them.

This may seem like an easy money gig with little start up but the reality is that it takes a lot of work and a lot of trial and error. Have you looked into licensing and insurance yet?
Workaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 08:13 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 2,000
Thanked 5,929 Times in 3,434 Posts
View vermontpainter's Photo Album My Photos

Painting is a fun way to make a living and its pretty easy to get into.

vermontpainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 08:27 PM   #12

No need for the sarcasm but I understand. I'm not trying to down play the profession and make it seem like its easy. I'm not the type of person to just jump in to anything so its not a situation where I had an epiphany yesterday and I'm a paint contractor today. I know painters and I've been researching for the past few weeks. I should be ready in about 6 months to a year to begin trying to get clients/jobs/contracts or whatever. In the mean time I may try to get low level/simple jobs and/or work as a laborer when I have time.
Old 06-30-2010, 08:32 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 2,000
Thanked 5,929 Times in 3,434 Posts
View vermontpainter's Photo Album My Photos

No sarcasm intended. What was it that you thought I meant when you said you understood what I meant? I just meant what I said, painting is fun, and its easy to get into.

vermontpainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 09:46 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 25
View NaeGan's Photo Album My Photos

"The costs of being a painter should be cheaper than being a courier as far as gas/insurance is concerned."

I clearly do not have the experience here as most of the fellows posts I have read. I thought I knew quite a bit about it until I started doing research after I went on my own 19 months ago and reading posts on here. I have been humbled many times since then.
I believe I can say this with accuracy; the gas may be cheaper and your vehicle insurance may be cheaper, but I'm certain that's it. You'll learn just how expensive it is to operate really soon. Especially when you figure out that you need your own equipment, and that once you see how the pros do it, their knowledge base, and you have to be able to sell your service. There's just too many things too mention. It's cheap by NO means. I've spent several thousand dollars on maintenance and equipment and I could easily spend 10,000 tomorrow and probably still need things.
There's more too it then an extension pole, a couple roller cages, 6 brushes and 2 ladders. The rules are getting strict, and products are advancing quickly.
I'd suggest doing it as a side job for people you know first. And not just to do it, but do it just as you think you should if you were a very established painter with their supplies, equipment, and techniques.
NaeGan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 09:58 PM   #15
Right!

Rewards Points: 500
View LOSTinDETAILS's Photo Album My Photos

welcome and please don't stir up the natives.
"If you want to go back to a time where we were just a bunch of Serfs under the control of an all powerful king - go ahead and vote republican. And not only will we be dirt poor - we'll be paying these kings rent to farm the land." -Delusional TURD
LOSTinDETAILS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 10:14 PM   #16
RCP

Rewards Points: 78
Thanked 4,803 Times in 3,011 Posts
View RCP's Photo Album My Photos

Welcome, do you plan on working on homes built before 1978?

I know, I just can't help it!

RCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 10:28 PM   #17

Rewards Points: 1,056
View Jason@API's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:

Not in every state...

Jason@API is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 11:11 PM   #18
SeHablaEspaņol

Rewards Points: 500
View AztecPainting's Photo Album My Photos

Welcome Onelug! So many guys in this forum have a lot of experience and can give you a better advise than I do, but, starting your own painting business is not as easy as it seems, it takes time and patience.
I learned that patience is a virtue and if you are going to get into this business full time, you don't require a lot of cash to start up, but you do require a lot of patience (And a license, WCB, Insurance, etc... That should of been one of the first things you could of think about, protect yourself and it also help you legitimize your business, that would also means get good jobs not just whatever) Isn't a good job what you really want?
><
>
AztecPainting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 12:24 AM   #19
Born 2 Paint

Rewards Points: 1,394
Thanked 2,924 Times in 1,609 Posts
View 6126's Photo Album My Photos

Welcome aboard. Plenty of good info here.
6126 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 6126 For This Useful Post:
[email protected] (07-01-2010)
Old 07-01-2010, 09:49 AM   #20

Rewards Points: 75
View We do lines...'s Photo Album My Photos

One Lug,

You might want to consider Parking Lot Striping. It works for me.

I am not a big fan of ladders and I like the flexibility of working at night.

New Jersey is a big state with a lot of parking spaces. Soliciting your delivery customers with this add on business could give you an instant book of business.

Just a thought.

Best,

Tom
www.wedolines.com
We do lines... is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to We do lines... For This Useful Post:
aaron61 (07-01-2010)

Tags
None