Yet another newb - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > New Member Introductions

Old 10-24-2008, 06:33 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
View denverpaint's Photo Album My Photos
Default Yet another newb

I've been lurking for several weeks and just decided to join. I'm a new contractor in Denver. Just wanted to say 'hi' to everyone. This is a great forum.

P.S. What's up with all the picking on Severson? I'm sure it's warranted, but just curious.
denverpaint is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2008, 06:39 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000
View timhag's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverpaint View Post

P.S. What's up with all the picking on Severson? I'm sure it's warranted, but just curious.
Don't start already brother. I have a feeling you will be on the smackass list shortly.

Anyway, Welcome to the forum from the great town of Pittsburgh Pa. Glad you could join us.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

timhag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 06:40 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 258
View sage's Photo Album My Photos

Welcome to our world of painting!
Do a search on Severson, it will explain it all.
Sage
sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2008, 06:52 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,658
Thanked 6,792 Times in 4,040 Posts
View ewingpainting.net's Photo Album My Photos

Welcome from Cali

Quote:
Originally Posted by timhag View Post
Don't start already brother. I have a feeling you will be on the smackass list shortly.
It a honor to be on it. Pluss it free advertising. Do you think you could put a link to my web site thanks

ewingpainting.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 07:17 PM   #5
PinheadsUnite

Rewards Points: 1,696
Thanked 17,336 Times in 10,141 Posts
View daArch's Photo Album My Photos

Welcome Denver from Norfolk, MA

This is a forum for professionals who enjoy, nay, THRIVE on discussing tips, tricks, tools, and techniques to improve each other's productivity and quality. We also have fun with off topic banter and jibes, but that only builds camaraderie.

Once in awhile people join who like to draw attention to themselves by being difficult & disrespectful and disrupting the apple cart. Many here don't understand the motivation, much less tolerate the action of these juvenile attention grabbers. Those disrupters soon disappear.

Others join who know nothing. They've decided they are going to be Painting Contractors because ...... well I don't know why....because they saw Moe, Larry, and Curly and decided it was easy ??? So instead of going to trade school or apprenticing to a local pro, they decide they are entitled to ride our backs to success. They ask basic simple questions and then, get this, DON'T TAKE THE ADVICE GIVEN or ARGUE. The nerve !

Others do not understand Principle One of their business and decide we should do their pricing for them. Our "favorite" question is, "How much should I charge to paint a one bedroom apartment". And then they get all uppity when we refuse to give a serious answer.

But I'm sure you'll soon be benefiting from what the pros on Paint Talk have to offer and you will soon be a valuable contributor yourself!

again, welcome

-Bill

"Are we having fun yet"
daArch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 07:26 PM   #6
Save 2nd base!

Rewards Points: 9,606
Thanked 4,371 Times in 1,908 Posts
View ProWallGuy's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by daArch View Post
Welcome Denver from Norfolk, MA

This is a forum for professionals who enjoy, nay, THRIVE on discussing tips, tricks, tools, and techniques to improve each other's productivity and quality. We also have fun with off topic banter and jibes, but that only builds camaraderie.

Once in awhile people join who like to draw attention to themselves by being difficult & disrespectful and disrupting the apple cart. Many here don't understand the motivation, much less tolerate the action of these juvenile attention grabbers. Those disrupters soon disappear.

Others join who know nothing. They've decided they are going to be Painting Contractors because ...... well I don't know why....because they saw Moe, Larry, and Curly and decided it was easy ??? So instead of going to trade school or apprenticing to a local pro, they decide they are entitled to ride our backs to success. They ask basic simple questions and then, get this, DON'T TAKE THE ADVICE GIVEN or ARGUE. The nerve !

Others do not understand Principle One of their business and decide we should do their pricing for them. Our "favorite" question is, "How much should I charge to paint a one bedroom apartment". And then they get all uppity when we refuse to give a serious answer.

But I'm sure you'll soon be benefiting from what the pros on Paint Talk have to offer and you will soon be a valuable contributor yourself!

again, welcome

-Bill
Jeez Bill, you sure are taking this moderator thing a bit serious doncha think? Pace yourself or you'll burn out prematurely.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ProWallGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 07:30 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 150
View Wing 54's Photo Album My Photos

Welcome from MN. Got a good friend up in Greely if I ever get out there to see him I'll look ya' up.
Wing 54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 09:16 PM   #8
PinheadsUnite

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProWallGuy View Post
Jeez Bill, you sure are taking this moderator thing a bit serious doncha think? Pace yourself or you'll burn out prematurely.

That's what the WW says......kinda.

But I been thinking about a remark like that for awhile.

"Are we having fun yet"
Old 10-25-2008, 09:54 AM   #9

View denverpaint's Photo Album My Photos

Thanks for the warm welcome everybody. There is definitely a ton of great info on here. I hope to contribute as well in the near future.
denverpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 07:26 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 258
View sage's Photo Album My Photos

That was funny Wallguy, I was laughing out loud!!
Sage
sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 12:03 AM   #11
PinheadsUnite

Quote:
Originally Posted by sage View Post

That was funny Wallguy, I was laughing out loud!!
Sage
I'll tell you, Sage, the WW (The Wonderful Wendy) don't laugh too loud about anything "prematurely".

If you know what I mean

"Are we having fun yet"
Old 10-26-2008, 12:43 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 8
Thanked 3,481 Times in 1,798 Posts
View Bender's Photo Album My Photos

Hi Denver, how long have you been in Dodge?
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 01:57 PM   #13
Painting Ontario

View jcm664's Photo Album My Photos

Hi guys, a newby here (to this forum but 20+ yrs painting) and just browsing the threads. Bill (daArch) has some valid points about info sharing and conduct on the forum however how do we distinguish between an experienced pro and someone trying to get a free ride on our experience? or should that be a problem since entrepeneurs getting into the business would logically search out forums like this for info. Like myself I work in the Toronto area and would like to know how my pricing compares to others in the industry but am somewhat reluctant to ask after reading Bill's post. Bill i am also a third generation paper hanger and can appreciate the workmanship you are displaying in your website, impressive indeed.

Toronto Pronto
jcm664 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 02:26 PM   #14
PinheadsUnite

Thank you for the kind words, Toronto Pronto.

You bring up a very valid point. From my experience here, no one is immediately jumped on because he/she is SUSPECTED of trying to ride our back to success. They generally hang themselves - and we don't even supply the rope. People here are very generous with their help, but there is a limit.

As for wanting to know how one's pricing compares to others in the industry, I used to worry about that. I even researched pricing structures in a Means Estimating Guide. I then priced accordingly thinking being competitive on price was most important to landing a job. I was wrong and just could never make a decent profit. Why? Because I gave much more quality than what Means was pricing.

Now, you live in Toronto. People on this list are from over the World. The answers you would receive about pricing would not necessary be local and would not help you. Price comparisons between Toronto and Boston are not apples to apples. And, I bet pricing for Toronto would be vastly different than Ottawa - and to take it to extremes, than for North Bay, Sudbury, or even Moosonee.

Brian Phillips wrote an excellent piece on pricing, estimating, and success. It would be worth your while to read it - it would be EVERYONE'S while to read it. It's the first post of the following thread:
https://www.painttalk.com/showthread.php?t=2779

"Are we having fun yet"

Tags
None