Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

Water Tower Project

5K views 21 replies 16 participants last post by  RCP 
#1 ·
Well, let's get this party started!:thumbup: Thanks PT for creating this space.

This is a project post by one of the contributors at BP.

Elevated Water Tower Painting

Industrial painting on an elevated water tower is a great deal more involved in the aspects of planning, logistics and safety. When you get down to it, painting is painting. With qualified painters and depth knowledge of the overall painting process, almost anything can be painted! Last year, we painted two elevated water towers. Each tower had its own challenging aspects and details requiring a significant amount of planning. Let’s focus on the larger of the two towers, which was 185’ tall.

#11 ·
Well, let's get this party started!:thumbup: Thanks PT for creating this space.

This is a project post by one of the contributors at BP.

Elevated Water Tower Painting
Who drew the short straw the day they selected the boom rider?:eek:
We did some church steeples and town halls early on that required work 60-80' high. The financial reward didn't justify the risk and I now pass that work along to folks who are more qualified and willing to take the risk. Kudos to those that do it.:notworthy:

#18 ·
who drew the short straw the day they selected the boom rider?:eek:
We did some church steeples and town halls early on that required work 60-80' high. The financial reward didn't justify the risk and i now pass that work along to folks who are more qualified and willing to take the risk. Kudos to those that do it.:notworthy:
i would rather ride in the crane basket than a 150' lift. I've been in a 125' and that was enough. Some days you will feel queezy driving to work knowing that you have to be in that thing all day long. Anything after 80 feet gets a little gets a little wild.
Good to see some industrial projects posted here too. Looks like a simple maintenance coat. Not nearly as involed as a full blast and repaint that requires full containment and inspections. All of the new water towers have so much wiring stuck on them for police communications and cell phones that it makes it a lot more difficult to paint them. Setting up ventalation, staging and platforms on the interiors can take just as long as the paint and blast operations. Better know what you are bidding before you try to take on one of these. Im sure that richmond could handle it though. ;)

#15 ·
Working on a water tower is on my bucket list. I dont care about running the show, I just want to see an operation and work on a crew for a few days.

Reactions: RCP
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.