2010 - The year ahead. - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Business > Business, Marketing, and Sales

Old 01-24-2010, 09:32 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 500
View Michigan11's Photo Album My Photos
Default 2010 - The year ahead.

Judging by 09' compared to 08', my business experienced a 30% drop year over year revenues. Compared to other painters in my area, by talking with owners and judging by the foot traffic or lack of in painting stores, I did much better than most. So I'm looking at the year to come, and getting all my advertising ready and I'm just wondering how others have done in the past year and what you see ahead in 2010?

What is becoming a major selling point on exterior's, is caulking, since heating bills are going up every year, it actually brings down many of their bills by 10-30% believe it or not, around a box of caulk per house.

My jobs came in as usual just not as many, and the weather was horrible, it seemed about 4 days of rain almost every week, could never get a full week of work in, so the jobs sort of matched the weather.

Interiors up here are almost non-existent still, the last time winters were any good here was more than a few years ago.

How are others doing?
Michigan11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2010, 01:59 PM   #2

View painttofish's Photo Album My Photos

January has been slow. Hoping for a busy February. Caulking is a good "energy efficient" selling point if the home has never been properly caulked. Last year was good for us but the weather was brutal. Long cold winter and a mild wet summer (if you could call it a summer). What part of the state are you in Michigan11?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
painttofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 04:18 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 25
View PaintMe201's Photo Album My Photos

We as a store were only down 7%. We're very fortunate that we picked up a couple of big union shops along with 50-75 new customers... We hustled our asses off though.. It's weird because some of our guys are dead and others are tremendously busy... We're expecting a good year based on all the new guys, upcoming projects, and the fact that we did basically nothing the whole first quarter of last year
PaintMe201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2010, 07:52 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,574
Thanked 5,172 Times in 2,981 Posts
View straight_lines's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via Yahoo to straight_lines

I expect the weak or those who can't adapt to go under. Its a shame to say but its a fact. The local paper had an article about how every pawn shop is full of tools right now to the point they aren't taking anymore.

Construction has just all but stopped, but I always made mine in remodels/repaints and I think after the dust settles there will be more and better opportunities for those of us who are still in business. If the gov would stop re- inflating the housing bubble and let house prices fall to where they should be things would get better quickly.
straight_lines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 07:57 PM   #5
The Lurker

Rewards Points: 2,000
View MAK-Deco's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by straight_lines View Post
I expect the weak or those who can't adapt to go under. Its a shame to say but its a fact. The local paper had an article about how every pawn shop is full of tools right now to the point they aren't taking anymore.

Construction has just all but stopped, but I always made mine in remodels/repaints and I think after the dust settles there will be more and better opportunities for those of us who are still in business. If the gov would stop re- inflating the housing bubble and let house prices fall to where they should be things would get better quickly.
House prices have fallen enough... Create good jobs so people can buy house.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MAK-Deco is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MAK-Deco For This Useful Post:
painttofish (01-26-2010)
Old 01-27-2010, 07:29 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by painttofish View Post
January has been slow. Hoping for a busy February. Caulking is a good "energy efficient" selling point if the home has never been properly caulked. Last year was good for us but the weather was brutal. Long cold winter and a mild wet summer (if you could call it a summer). What part of the state are you in Michigan11?
Southeast part, how bout you? Yeah the weather was brutal last year, a very mild, wet summer, when it was dry it was great to work in though, mostly 70's it seemed. You do repaints? That's interesting you are getting interiors at all, it's very tough to do.
Old 01-27-2010, 07:38 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaintMe201 View Post
We as a store were only down 7%. We're very fortunate that we picked up a couple of big union shops along with 50-75 new customers... We hustled our asses off though.. It's weird because some of our guys are dead and others are tremendously busy... We're expecting a good year based on all the new guys, upcoming projects, and the fact that we did basically nothing the whole first quarter of last year
Good to hear, 7% that's not bad at all, you sort of bucked the trend. Thanks's for sharing..
Old 01-27-2010, 07:55 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by straight_lines View Post

I've always been in the re-paints too. You are spot on, those who can make it to the other end should start seeing some of the best opportunites, that's usually how it works with these, FED created boom/bust cycles. 2010 is supposed to see the largest wave yet, for mortgage resets on housing, which is going to lead to the biggest foreclosure wave yet, and commercial is just starting, it's going to be one hell of a year either way (even 60 minutes did a show on it)..

The best of the best, such as many on this board, I believe will prosper regardless, by adjusting and finding new ways to thrive.
Old 01-27-2010, 08:05 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK-Deco View Post
yeah this country needs good jobs...

Anyways, I look at the year ahead for signs, things are improving or going south, so that is why I love the feedback from others and what they are seeing. Trends are your friend as they say. I've always kept an eye on what's ahead to adjust my advertising and such...

Last edited by Michigan11; 01-27-2010 at 08:08 AM..
Old 01-27-2010, 10:41 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 1,574
Thanked 5,172 Times in 2,981 Posts
View straight_lines's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via Yahoo to straight_lines

Quote:

Not in my area, they are still overpriced for what you get. Part of this is because during the boom material prices were so high due to demand. Oh and I have yet to see material prices drop either.

I realize we should not get into politics on this board but I am just gonna post a link and you can read it and see if it makes sense.
straight_lines is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to straight_lines For This Useful Post:
Michigan11 (01-27-2010)
Old 01-27-2010, 10:47 AM   #11
Paint to fish

Rewards Points: 160
Thanked 5,165 Times in 2,818 Posts
View DeanV's Photo Album My Photos

2009 would have been up 20% over 2008 if that one project had been completed, paid up, and not gone nuclear. For 2010, we are starting off slower than I would like and are going to have more challenges this year than last year, unless something changes.
DeanV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 03:26 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan11 View Post
Southeast part, how bout you? Yeah the weather was brutal last year, a very mild, wet summer, when it was dry it was great to work in though, mostly 70's it seemed. You do repaints? That's interesting you are getting interiors at all, it's very tough to do.

I'm in the pinky (Michiganders know where).

I do repaints and believe me, I wish I was doing more.

The economy is down almost everywhere, and then there is Michigan.

The Following User Says Thank You to painttofish For This Useful Post:
Michigan11 (01-27-2010)
Old 01-27-2010, 06:49 PM   #13
The Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by painttofish View Post
I'm in the pinky (Michiganders know where).

I do repaints and believe me, I wish I was doing more.

The economy is down almost everywhere, and then there is Michigan.
So its not a good time for to move to Traverse

The Following User Says Thank You to MAK-Deco For This Useful Post:
Dave Mac (01-27-2010)
Old 01-27-2010, 09:00 PM   #14
Paint to fish

TC is were to RETIRE to (or in my case where I go camping for vacation time, gotta love The Omelette Shoppe) not to go work!
Old 01-27-2010, 09:02 PM   #15
The Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanV View Post
TC is were to RETIRE to (or in my case where I go camping for vacation time, gotta love The Omelette Shoppe) not to go work!
yeah I vacation and will retire there... But hey there some money up that way.. TC , Petoskey, Charlevoix...

Old 01-27-2010, 09:13 PM   #16
Paint to fish

That area has been hit as well. One builder I work for bought property on the Lake in Harbor Springs to develop for 400,000, the township is taxing it at something like 800,000+ for the property (I think it might actually be 1 million) and he cannot sell it for 200,000 right now. Anyone looking for some land?
Old 01-27-2010, 10:29 PM   #17
The Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanV View Post
That area has been hit as well. One builder I work for bought property on the Lake in Harbor Springs to develop for 400,000, the township is taxing it at something like 800,000+ for the property (I think it might actually be 1 million) and he cannot sell it for 200,000 right now. Anyone looking for some land?
Yeah I hear ya.. I almost pull the trigger on a condo on Lake Leelanau but have lost so much value on my main house I am tight with funds..

Old 01-27-2010, 10:36 PM   #18
Paint to fish

At least if you retire to MI the higher housing values in Chicago will work to your advantage (or at least be a wash if buying on waterfront).
Old 01-28-2010, 12:26 AM   #19

Rewards Points: 25
View Dacosta Painting's Photo Album My Photos

2009 I had a 40% decline in sales. It would have been around 70% if I did not get into new things. All we used to do was paint. Now we do wallpaper and popcorn ceiling removal and a bunch of other things. Early 2009 was a wake up call to me and has made my business a lot better. 2010 looks good as the economy recovers and with all the new services I added I feel very good.
Dacosta Painting is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dacosta Painting For This Useful Post:
Michigan11 (01-28-2010)
Old 02-07-2010, 12:58 PM   #20

Quote:
So its not a good time for to move to Traverse

It's a great time to move here if you plan on retiring. Great deals everywhere! But if you plan on painting stay away!! We got way to many painters around here as is.

Tags
None