Brochures for your business - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Business > Business, Marketing, and Sales

Old 12-17-2008, 02:03 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 2,000
View nEighter's Photo Album My Photos
Default Brochures for your business

I am going to be hitting the end of my work at the beginning of next week.

I am going to put together a brochure and get a suit and tie on and hit the businesses in the area, both close to me (literally a block away at the new shopping center) and any other local business that may need touchup and repair work.

I would like some feedback on some possible things I could put on the brochures that would help me get my business across professionally to the local business owners.

I plan on putting some pictures of the work I have done at the apartment complexes/town home community I have painted, the different businesses that I have painted for also. Would putting homeowner stuff also be appropriate for this? After all I am going after commercial business...???

I know that when you are writing a resume, you actually tailor that resume for the job you are going for.. would this be the same? Or can I make up a brochure that is a "blanket brochure" that describes my work? What would be better? As I am thinking of this, it makes me think a general brochure could possibly work... what is your guys' take?

Thanks in advance!

-Nathan

Last edited by nEighter; 12-17-2008 at 02:05 AM..
nEighter is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2008, 10:53 AM   #2
Systems Fanatic

Rewards Points: 500
View Brian's Photo Album My Photos

I would tailor the brochure to the particular businesses you will be approaching. A retail store probably won't be impressed with pictures of an apartment project, and vice versa.

Depending on how these will be printed, a generic template could be modified for different types of businesses.

Brian Phillips

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 11:05 AM   #3
tsevnami

Rewards Points: 1,000
View tsunamicontract's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by nEighter View Post
get a suit and tie
a painter in a suit and tie? Looking to do apartment touch ups and the like? In fact, a painter in a suit and tie period? I think that will come across as suspect. I would get a nice 3 button polo shirt with your name embroidered or screen printed on and some nice jeans or kakis.
tsunamicontract is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2008, 11:13 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 516
Thanked 1,001 Times in 524 Posts
View premierpainter's Photo Album My Photos

Agree with the suit and tie. A polo would be a better fit.
premierpainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 11:14 AM   #5
house painter

Rewards Points: 506
View johnthepainter's Photo Album My Photos

agreed,,,,,,dont wear a suit and tie,,,,,,this would hinder your efforts.

while you are out, chat it up with everyone.

look for residental repaints from the shop owners also.
johnthepainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 12:51 PM   #6
Born To Be Mild

Thanked 1,704 Times in 1,000 Posts
View bikerboy's Photo Album My Photos

Don't sell you. Sell what benefits the customer derives from hiring you.

bikerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 02:24 PM   #7

Excellent feedback. Polo and Khakis it is Oh and yeah I WILL be trying to sell the business both at their business and their homes LOL I will let you guys know how it goes
Old 12-17-2008, 04:20 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 10
View sourcespin's Photo Album My Photos

Alot of companies don't like solicitation. I would do a good brochure, one that is well designed, and has some good information as to why to use a professional painter and why you should be that professional painter. Also don't go over board on the quality. Also do you do any faux finishes, murals or custom painting that might benefit the business?

If you decide to go the mail out route (which I would do), include a generic price list. Start with value and then work into quality.

Also, I have a buddy that gets her painting contracts by taking her dog to the off lease area in painters whites. She chats local house wives up and her summers are busy. She's an ok quality exterior painter and her prices reflect that.

If you decide to go the door to door, cold call route? Your a painter, be a painter. Instead of the suit and tie, consider getting t-shirts done with your logo or maybe even a white jacket with your logo on it and wear painter paints. Not new ones though...
sourcespin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 04:27 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 10
View sourcespin's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
I would tailor the brochure to the particular businesses you will be approaching. A retail store probably won't be impressed with pictures of an apartment project, and vice versa.

Depending on how these will be printed, a generic template could be modified for different types of businesses.

Brian Phillips
Actually a brochure that shows your a diversified painter is beneficial. Like with our brochures for Paint Calgary. We have two, one for home owners, apartment interiors and builders, and another for commericial and retail.

The residential has pics, and smaller info on commerical and retails, while the commercial has pics and smaller info on residential.

Our brochures though we got from Overnight Prints, so they are a high gloss quality.
sourcespin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 08:03 PM   #10
Systems Fanatic

Rewards Points: 500
View Brian's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourcespin View Post
Actually a brochure that shows your a diversified painter is beneficial.
That is a good point. If the brochure is too narrow in focus, the recipient may not think you do other type of work. I am constantly amazed at how many exterior customers ask if we do interior painting and vice versa, even though all of our literature clearly states that we do.

Brian Phillips

Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 10:09 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 75
View Alex PCI's Photo Album My Photos

I highly recommend Keith at KBK Graphx - Homepage for your brochures and anything else you may need. He designed 2 of my brochures and is currently working on a postcard mailer for me that directly markets to a commercial sector im interested in. His work is top notch and the pricing is very fair for his quality.
Alex PCI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 10:41 PM   #12

What is turnaround? I think I heard somewhere he offers a discount for painttalkers? Is that right? I have more to respond to the above, but first have to install a new front door lock/knob for the neighbors.. work is never done it seems
Old 12-18-2008, 01:53 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 270
View Danahy's Photo Album My Photos

I'm wondering how many customers you've work'd for? The reason I ask, is maybe as an add-on to the 'cold call brochure' thing, maybe just write an email to some customers you've already had, saying something like "Merry xmas, tks for the business, lettin' u know I'm now putting together next years schedules, best wishes etc etc etc..."

I'll get a call atleast once a month with someone saying "I had to call the store to get ur number again, i don't remember what I did with ur card".

I just did this, hoping to fill in a small lag I had after xmas in my schedule, and I actually net myself 2 jobs that filled this spot nicely, and another medium size job for the spring...

I admire your ambition with the brochures
Danahy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 03:44 PM   #14

Well sounds like you have a great customer base. I starting out doing industrial & industrial equipment.., BNSF hasn't called me lately LOL then got into commercial with individual homeowner stuff during slow times. So no customer base isn't as large as some of you guys, but I must say i have completed some rather unique projects

Tags
None