Business Growth - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Business > Business, Marketing, and Sales

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Rbriggs82

Old 10-15-2020, 11:50 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
View Sergio_80's Photo Album My Photos
Default Business Growth

Hi there,

We are a 2 person partnership business. My partner takes care of the operations and I am responsible from business development.

We have been in business for only over a year and so far we mostly got customers through advertising and leads. Last summer and this summer we did good but where we live November to Mid April painting business is very low due to weather so we need to get customers through different channels for these months and increase our referral base for business growth.

I came up with a list of businesses to contact that can generate us revenue during low seasons and also help us grow. Please let me know that you think;

- Realtors
- Restaurants
- Hotels / Motels
- Property Management Companies (Long- term b2b for rental properties)
- Schools
- Interior Designers

This is my initial list to start and I would appreciate if you can suggest other ideas or if you had experience working with these type of businesses in the past.

Thank you very much in advance.

Sergio.
Sergio_80 is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2020, 01:24 PM   #2
King Dude

Rewards Points: 16
Thanked 5,164 Times in 2,969 Posts
View Rbriggs82's Photo Album My Photos

I'd pass on the hotels and restaurants, they're notoriously cheap, and focus your energy on the rest of the list.

Sent from my IN2017 using Tapatalk
finishesbykevyn likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|

|
|
Rbriggs82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 03:32 PM   #3
RH

Rewards Points: 78
Thanked 15,595 Times in 8,232 Posts
View RH's Photo Album My Photos

Unless you have year around schools, a painter's off season is going to be when school is (normally) in session. And around here, most mid-sized to larger districts have their own painters. Focus those enquiries on smaller, independent districts.

Not everyone has had the same success working with realtors as we have but it was always a lucrative partnership for us. But that's what it should be - a partnership where you help them and their clients get any needed painting done ASAP. DO NOT get involved with any realtor wanting any kind of kick back (strictly against the law out here in Oregon).

And just a thought, hopefully you were engaged starting last April in trying to line up interior work for fall through spring. Starting to do so now is pretty late to the game.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2020, 03:57 PM   #4
mug

Rewards Points: 10
View mug's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH View Post
Unless you have year around schools, a painter's off season is going to be when school is (normally) in session. And around here, most mid-sized to larger districts have their own painters. Focus those enquiries on smaller, independent districts.

Not everyone has had the same success working with realtors as we have but it was always a lucrative partnership for us. But that's what it should be - a partnership where you help them and their clients get any needed painting done ASAP. DO NOT get involved with any realtor wanting any kind of kick back (strictly against the law out here in Oregon).

And just a thought, hopefully you were engaged starting last April in trying to line up interior work for fall through spring. Starting to do so now is pretty late to the game.
Don't mean to hijack the thread but can you guys actually get people to wait that long for interior painting?
mug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 05:05 PM   #5
RH

Rewards Points: 78
Thanked 15,595 Times in 8,232 Posts
View RH's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by mug View Post
Don't mean to hijack the thread but can you guys actually get people to wait that long for interior painting?
I only did interior work the past ten years or so and that meant my summers were always busy, sometimes with people frustrated that most outfits were not even interested in bidding interior work during the summer. So yes, many will not want to wait that long. But even then I usually had to schedule out at least a few months because my schedule stayed pretty full all year long (it was a beautiful thing not having to worry about the weather).

But back when I also did exterior work, it was pretty common to be giving people quotes for jobs that wouldn't be scheduled to start until mid to late fall. Most (but certainly not all) understood that the nice weather days (June-October, depending) were for trying to get those exterior jobs done. If the weather took a turn and I thought I could slip in an interior job, I would contact people on the list and ask if they wanted me to do the job sooner - some accepted, others didn't.
Old 10-18-2020, 09:50 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 58
View Redux's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbriggs82 View Post
I'd pass on the hotels and restaurants, they're notoriously cheap, and focus your energy on the rest of the list.

Sent from my IN2017 using Tapatalk
There’s some pretty good money to be made targeting not the establishment owners within the hospitality industry, but the designers who service the industry, at least before the COVID, and more so in the greater metropolitan areas and/or travel destinations.

In order to be successful within the hospitality market when targeting designers and not the establishment owners, it requires being able to provide a broader range of services than just straightforward painting, including but not limited to faux, decorative plaster, wall treatments, and wood finishing.

The hours are often brutal as are the deadlines, especially with all the trades working on top of one another in order to make the opening dates. Once in with a designer, it often requires traveling, sometimes to far off destinations for extended periods.
Redux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:43 PM   #7
Kev D.

Rewards Points: 128
View finishesbykevyn's Photo Album My Photos

Follow the designers. They know where the money is. New Construction or commercial gigs used to get me through the winters. However, now I find there is always a Christmas rush and then I just want to go South and surf for all of January and Febuary..Maybe not this year..ugg
finishesbykevyn is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
None