company name advice - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Business > Business, Marketing, and Sales

Old 03-18-2014, 02:15 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75
View 12th man's Photo Album My Photos
Default company name advice

Im trying to come up with a name for my company. I originally wanted Crawfords Painting but there is another company in my state with that name but they are on the other side of the mountains..can I still use that name? Also was looking at Crawfords professional Painting. Is that to long of a name? Crawford is my last name and my brother and I are starting the company together. Any suggestions?
12th man is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2014, 03:09 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,326
Thanked 9,558 Times in 5,424 Posts
View CApainter's Photo Album My Photos

I'm thinking "Forty Niner Painting".
CApainter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CApainter For This Useful Post:
12th man (03-18-2014)
Old 03-18-2014, 03:32 PM   #3
PinheadsUnite

Rewards Points: 1,696
Thanked 17,336 Times in 10,141 Posts
View daArch's Photo Album My Photos

Crawbrother Painting (instead of Crawdaddy)

Or not to be tricky, simply Crawford Bros Painting

says it all

"Are we having fun yet"
daArch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2014, 03:34 PM   #4
Retired Moderator

Rewards Points: 840
Thanked 10,458 Times in 5,722 Posts
View Gough's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12th man View Post
Im trying to come up with a name for my company. I originally wanted Crawfords Painting but there is another company in my state with that name but they are on the other side of the mountains..can I still use that name? Also was looking at Crawfords professional Painting. Is that to long of a name? Crawford is my last name and my brother and I are starting the company together. Any suggestions?
I remember the suggestion that you NOT use your own name in the name of your business. The authors wrote about the psychological impact of a failed business when the owner's name is also part of the business name. Their idea was to reduce the idea that, "my business failed" equals "I'm a failure as a person." While I'm not totally convinced, I did follow the suggestion. I've also had friends and acquaintances whose business didn't survive, and the impact seemed more on those who had incorporated their own name.

That was hardly a scientific study, and I don't want to encourage a defeatist attitude from the beginning, but it's something to ponder.
Gough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 03:39 PM   #5
PinheadsUnite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gough View Post
I remember the suggestion that you NOT use your own name in the name of your business. The authors wrote about the psychological impact of a failed business when the owner's name is also part of the business name. Their idea was to reduce the idea that, "my business failed" equals "I'm a failure as a person." While I'm not totally convinced, I did follow the suggestion. I've also had friends and acquaintances whose business didn't survive, and the impact seemed more on those who had incorporated their own name.

That was hardly a scientific study, and I don't want to encourage a defeatist attitude from the beginning, but it's something to ponder.
OK, if one subscribes to "expert" opinions that are worth what you pay for them how about "Brothers Painting"

Or worse still, "He Ain't Heavy Painting"

"Are we having fun yet"
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to daArch For This Useful Post:
Gough (03-18-2014), loaded brush (03-23-2014), slinger58 (03-18-2014)
Old 03-18-2014, 03:48 PM   #6
Retired Moderator

Rewards Points: 840
Thanked 10,458 Times in 5,722 Posts
View Gough's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by daArch View Post
OK, if one subscribes to "expert" opinions that are worth what you pay for them how about "Brothers Painting"

Or worse still, "He Ain't Heavy Painting"
I'm thinking about changing the name of our company to Bill Arch***** Painting. I even have a motto picked out: "If your house needs painting badly, call us!"

As an alternative, maybe just "BA Painting". We could save money, since we wouldn't have to buy whites....

Last edited by Gough; 03-18-2014 at 04:02 PM..
Gough is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gough For This Useful Post:
daArch (03-18-2014)
Old 03-18-2014, 03:58 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,658
Thanked 6,792 Times in 4,040 Posts
View ewingpainting.net's Photo Album My Photos

Can't wait to see the logo
ewingpainting.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 03:59 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 250
View Epoxy Pro's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
If they are incorporated they can come after you for using their name. We were going by c&d painting found out some one already had that name in our state and was incorporated so we had to change ours, we added "of Newburyport" to ours which is fine. We are also incorporated now. c&d is my partners first name initial as well as mine.

As for using your last name there are a few around here who do and I used to years ago. I would add brothers to yours, this way you are protected from the other guy from coming after you.
Epoxy Pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 04:11 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 95
View Paintuh4Life's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:

I heard the same advice 25 years ago. Sounded reasonable, so I took it.
Paintuh4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 04:15 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 1,331
Thanked 1,168 Times in 635 Posts
View Hines Painting's Photo Album My Photos

Maybe if you go with something like- The Brothers Crawford, A Painting Company

I think what you decide should be based mostly on where you are.

If you are in a large metropolitan area (or a large company), you probably want a catchy name and branding/marketing to go along with it.

But if you are in more of a rural area, where you will be marketing yourself through networking and personal contact then I would imagine it's more important to have/use your name.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
Hines Painting is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hines Painting For This Useful Post:
MonPeintre.ca (03-19-2014)
Old 03-18-2014, 04:19 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 1,331
Thanked 1,168 Times in 635 Posts
View Hines Painting's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:

Like you implied towards the end, if you want to talk psychologically, I think planning for failure in the beginning is much more detrimental then failing with your own name.

But, I don't do things I'm bad at, so it's not a risk for me.

|
|
Hines Painting is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Hines Painting For This Useful Post:
daArch (03-18-2014), Gough (03-18-2014), MIZZOU (03-18-2014), RH (03-18-2014), wje (03-18-2014)
Old 03-18-2014, 06:46 PM   #12

Thanks for all the feedback. I have a while to think it all over. Im just planning and saving money right now. I can't wait for the day I can tell my boss to kick rocks. He kind of misled a few of us about his schedule this winter to keep us around for summer. I could have bailed and made money somewhere if he would have been honest...im sure in not the only one though..Anyway thanks again for the input. I appreciate it.
The Following User Says Thank You to 12th man For This Useful Post:
slinger58 (03-18-2014)
Old 03-18-2014, 06:54 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 250
View Epoxy Pro's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Thanks for all the feedback. I have a while to think it all over. Im just planning and saving money right now. I can't wait for the day I can tell my boss to kick rocks. He kind of misled a few of us about his schedule this winter to keep us around for summer. I could have bailed and made money somewhere if he would have been honest...im sure in not the only one though..Anyway thanks again for the input. I appreciate it.
Not knowing your boss or defending him but stuff happens where projects get delayed or even canceled. He may or may not have been pulling your chain.
Epoxy Pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 07:21 PM   #14

Na I know him to well. Hes just weird about things like that. He has 2 guys doing 40 a week and 3 of us 0-10 hours. I get that those 2 have been with him longest. I just think if he wants to keep good guys he should spread it around a little. Thats why companies around here have trouble keeping good guys. Nobody wants to be just the summer help... anyway sorry for whining.. im just frustrated and want to be out there painting something
Old 03-18-2014, 07:29 PM   #15
RH

Rewards Points: 10,330
Thanked 15,366 Times in 8,050 Posts
View RH's Photo Album My Photos

I would never refrain from using my own name as part of my business identity just because of the possibility of failing.

Groucho Marx

Last edited by RH; 03-18-2014 at 10:45 PM..
RH is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RH For This Useful Post:
Gough (03-18-2014), slinger58 (03-18-2014)
Old 03-18-2014, 07:47 PM   #16

Rewards Points: 3,012
Thanked 5,800 Times in 2,487 Posts
View PressurePros's Photo Album My Photos

Choose a name based on it web URL availability. Keep it short and memorable. Other than that, the name is the least of a business' worries. You may be better served choosing a geographical name. People remember it because its relevant to them and it can rank better.

PressurePros is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PressurePros For This Useful Post:
ewingpainting.net (03-18-2014), Rbriggs82 (03-19-2014)
Old 03-18-2014, 07:56 PM   #17

Rewards Points: 82
Thanked 5,829 Times in 3,142 Posts
View slinger58's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
I admire your spirit, 12th man and wish you the very best. I was more or less pushed into self-employment almost 30 years ago and that was probably the best thing that could have happened to me.

There is a wealth of knowledge to be had on this forum, but I would advise you to stay away from the OPPU thread at first. Kinda like visiting an old folks home, sorta depressing.

Best of luck to you and your brother.

Oh, and back on topic.....my business has had my last name in it for....almost 30 years.
slinger58 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to slinger58 For This Useful Post:
daArch (03-18-2014)
Old 03-18-2014, 10:45 PM   #18
Just getting it done

Rewards Points: 25
View Cutandroll's Photo Album My Photos

Just use ford. I don't think that URL has been taken.
Cutandroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 10:48 PM   #19
PinheadsUnite

Quote:
Originally Posted by slinger58 View Post
I admire your spirit, 12th man and wish you the very best. I was more or less pushed into self-employment almost 30 years ago and that was probably the best thing that could have happened to me.

There is a wealth of knowledge to be had on this forum, but I would advise you to stay away from the OPPU thread at first. Kinda like visiting an old folks home, sorta depressing.

Best of luck to you and your brother.

Oh, and back on topic.....my business has had my last name in it for....almost 30 years.
your company name is Mud Slinger Painting ??

(damn those open doors)

"Are we having fun yet"
The Following User Says Thank You to daArch For This Useful Post:
slinger58 (03-19-2014)
Old 03-19-2014, 09:14 PM   #20

Rewards Points: 82
Thanked 5,829 Times in 3,142 Posts
View slinger58's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by daArch View Post
your company name is Mud Slinger Painting ??

(damn those open doors)
Close.
slinger58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None