Contractors Sue HomeAdvisor - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Business > Business, Marketing, and Sales

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Wolfgang
  • 1 Post By Rbriggs82
  • 2 Post By Wolfgang
  • 1 Post By Rbriggs82

Old 08-04-2018, 01:36 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 2,022
View Mr Smith's Photo Album My Photos
Default Contractors Sue HomeAdvisor

Contractors Sue HomeAdvisor for Fraudulent Practices.

Luckily I've never been desperate enough to pay for these types of leads. Buyer beware!

I've been getting a lot of emails and calls from Houzz recently. I checked out the services page they show to the homeowners inquiring about getting a quote and it's a joke. They don't even have a checkbox (choice) for normal wall painting. The first two services are for wallpapering and kitchen cabinet painting.

http://www.paintmag.com/sales/contra...lent-practices
Mr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2018, 09:02 PM   #2
Renegade Mod

Rewards Points: 294
Thanked 8,692 Times in 4,065 Posts
View Wolfgang's Photo Album My Photos

I predicted something like this would happen when Angie's List was all the rage. HomeAdvisor bought AL.
chrisn likes this.
Old 08-05-2018, 01:26 PM   #3
King Dude

Rewards Points: 2
Thanked 5,116 Times in 2,925 Posts
View Rbriggs82's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang View Post
I predicted something like this would happen when Angie's List was all the rage. HomeAdvisor bought AL.
Yeah Angie's List was fantastic for me. I got a lot of jobs from it over the years but now since Home Advisor bought it the calls have dropped off considerably.

Now when you go to the AL homepage they take all your info to funnel to Home Advisor members which I will never do. Paying these companies for leads is a path I will never venture down. My contract will AL ends in November and I will not be signing back up.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
slinger58 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|

|
|
Rbriggs82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2018, 11:43 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,574
Thanked 1,377 Times in 605 Posts
View Roamer's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbriggs82 View Post

My contract will AL ends in November and I will not be signing back up.

Prepare to be bombarded by calls/emails about re-upping. Also, don't assume because you didn't re-up with them that they didn't do it for you automatically, be proactive.

I've had several heated calls with them in the past and we've never paid to be on the List.

Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Roamer For This Useful Post:
Wolfgang (08-09-2018)
Old 08-09-2018, 06:19 PM   #5
Renegade Mod

Rewards Points: 294
Thanked 8,692 Times in 4,065 Posts
View Wolfgang's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbriggs82 View Post
Yeah Angie's List was fantastic for me. I got a lot of jobs from it over the years but now since Home Advisor bought it the calls have dropped off considerably.

Now when you go to the AL homepage they take all your info to funnel to Home Advisor members which I will never do. Paying these companies for leads is a path I will never venture down. My contract will AL ends in November and I will not be signing back up.

I had no interest in signing up with them when they first started. Something was going to have to pay their overhead when they stopped charging consumers. Turned out to be the contractors. Now who would've thought that?!? Huh. Of course the more you gave them the higher you would be on the page. Remind you of something.

Actually, didn't need them. I had enough progressive growth through referrals, cold calls, and insurance resto work.
chrisn and PACman like this.
Old 08-09-2018, 07:22 PM   #6
King Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang View Post
I had no interest in signing up with them when they first started. Something was going to have to pay their overhead when they stopped charging consumers. Turned out to be the contractors. Now who would've thought that?!? Huh. Of course the more you gave them the higher you would be on the page. Remind you of something.

Actually, didn't need them. I had enough progressive growth through referrals, cold calls, and insurance resto work.
Even when they were charging consumers contractors had to pay to be at the top of the list.

In all fairness it WAS well worth the money. 40 new families are moving to this area everyday. That's a lot of people that don't know anyone for referrals that look at reviews on Angie's List.

Paying to be at the top with 40+ 5 star reviews paid handsomely. Plus, each review showed the scope of work and how much they paid. That was a great way of weeding people out leaving only good calls from it. Maybe it wasn't so good in other areas but here I could have run a full time crew just from Angie's List customers.

Alas, I saw the writing on the wall when Home Advisor bought them. Now my fear has come to pass and I've got to drop them like a bad habit. All good things must come to an end I suppose.

Magicman likes this.

|
|
|

|
|
Old 08-10-2018, 12:53 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 158
Thanked 4,711 Times in 3,178 Posts
View PACman's Photo Album My Photos

consumers seem to forget why companies like Angie's List and Home Adviser exist. It's solely to make money! They aren't doing what they do for free! At some point somebody has to pay them. And like most other businesses the more you "buy" from them or pay them the more you get for your money. People in general also don't understand that the search engines online also have to make money to stay in operation, and they do that by getting businesses to "buy" a first page listing on their search engine. People still think that this is "organic" and is based on how many hits that companies website gets, but that hasn't been the case for close to 25 years!

And these companies take advantage of that ignorance like crazy. The average consumer is probably less product or service "smart" than they have been in decades, yet they THINK they know everything because the very internet that is screwing them tells them they are "smart" educated consumers because they used that very internet to gain their "knowledge".

Have any of you shopped for a new car online? They have all kinds of "deals" that you can get if you buy a car online. But the reality is it is just a ploy to get you into the dealer where they will basically ignore that online stuff and start the price negotiating from scratch. But consumers are falling all over the whole concept! But it is just another scam!

"I'll have a double scotch with a twist of bourbon" Rodney Dangerfield
PACman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 03:36 PM   #8
King Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by PACman View Post
consumers seem to forget why companies like Angie's List and Home Adviser exist. It's solely to make money! They aren't doing what they do for free! At some point somebody has to pay them. And like most other businesses the more you "buy" from them or pay them the more you get for your money. People in general also don't understand that the search engines online also have to make money to stay in operation, and they do that by getting businesses to "buy" a first page listing on their search engine. People still think that this is "organic" and is based on how many hits that companies website gets, but that hasn't been the case for close to 25 years!

And these companies take advantage of that ignorance like crazy. The average consumer is probably less product or service "smart" than they have been in decades, yet they THINK they know everything because the very internet that is screwing them tells them they are "smart" educated consumers because they used that very internet to gain their "knowledge".

Have any of you shopped for a new car online? They have all kinds of "deals" that you can get if you buy a car online. But the reality is it is just a ploy to get you into the dealer where they will basically ignore that online stuff and start the price negotiating from scratch. But consumers are falling all over the whole concept! But it is just another scam!
In all fairness only the top and bottom couple results are paid for, the rest are organic. Whether or not those organically ranked sites paid for an Seo company to help get them there is another story.

|
|
|

|
|
Old 08-10-2018, 06:59 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 5,540
View Woodco's Photo Album My Photos

A few weeks ago I signed up on Porch, Its a pay by the lead. So to test it out, i signed up as a customer and threw out a mock paint job to see how many companies would get the lead. I got three emails from Home advisor and their companies were emailing me trying to give a bid. Thats pretty weird. Im not using porch for painting, thats for sure.

BTW, I did a project cancel, so the companies should have got their money back, and I also told the companies what was going on.
Woodco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 08:26 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 218
View Pete Martin the Painter's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Smith View Post
Contractors Sue HomeAdvisor for Fraudulent Practices.

Luckily I've never been desperate enough to pay for these types of leads. Buyer beware!

I've been getting a lot of emails and calls from Houzz recently. I checked out the services page they show to the homeowners inquiring about getting a quote and it's a joke. They don't even have a checkbox (choice) for normal wall painting. The first two services are for wallpapering and kitchen cabinet painting.

http://www.paintmag.com/sales/contra...lent-practices
I believe it is Houzz that ranks me as one of the better painters in my area. How they determined this is beyond my understanding. I have never done business with them, and I have no reviews on their site.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Pete Martin the Painter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 10:46 PM   #11
kmp

Rewards Points: 2,550
View kmp's Photo Album My Photos

In the Denver Post today it was reported that the ceo of angi/home adviser has a salary of 68 million dollars.How much of that is paid for by people paying to be at the top of the list.
kmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 05:34 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 1,306
Thanked 1,038 Times in 670 Posts
View MikeCalifornia's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmp View Post
In the Denver Post today it was reported that the ceo of angi/home adviser has a salary of 68 million dollars.How much of that is paid for by people paying to be at the top of the list.

That is literally disgusting!!
MikeCalifornia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 12:09 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 46
View HomeDrywall&Painting's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Figures... it also says the "lawsuit includes comments from former employees who describe HomeAdvisor call centers as sites of “frequent use and sale of illicit drugs, and alcohol consumption by staff members during business hours.”
HomeDrywall&Painting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 05:48 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 62
View burchptg's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:

Holy crap! I worry more about the guys at the bottom of the list who are paying for this and not getting anything back for it. Home advisor called me aggressively every single day for a year. I finally lost it with them and cussed them out and eventually they stopped. They wanted $40/lead whether that panned out or not. I figured, since it's all on the 'puter, I could get about 100 leads/second and rack up quite a bill before I could even get my shoes on in the morning. Having hired help through Craigslist a couple times in the past, I know that most responses on the internet are bullsheet.

I was on AL for one year. What a nightmare! They still call me using spoofed phone numbers and email me fake leads. Just got one this morning in fact. The whole mess is a fraud. Funny how the number of calls from AL homeowners quadrupled in my last month of my contract after I told them it would be cold day in hell before I renewed with them.
burchptg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None