The decision to start doing cabinets - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Business > Business, Marketing, and Sales

Like Tree43Likes

Old 05-22-2020, 01:40 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 1,342
View Vylum's Photo Album My Photos
Default The decision to start doing cabinets

Curious to others thought process on why you started painting cabinets and if you dont offer the service why not ?
Vylum is online now   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2020, 08:02 PM   #2
Kev D.

Rewards Points: 1,025
View finishesbykevyn's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vylum View Post
Curious to others thought process on why you started painting cabinets and if you dont offer the service why not ?
It's in demand right now. And I go where the money is..
finishesbykevyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 10:17 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by finishesbykevyn View Post
It's in demand right now. And I go where the money is..
even if youre getting good prices for interior work is it that much more lucrative to take the risk?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2020, 10:28 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 690
View jennifertemple's Photo Album My Photos

@Vylum What is the risk you are referring to? In residences there is very little I would refuse to pain. I even painted a stove once. I've been painting cabinets since my first year in business. Much to the irritation of a few companies that wanted to replace. I would tell clients the cost of painting and updating hardware and they inevitably went with paint. I also often did the insides as well as exposed surfaces. Clients were always thrilled!
Vylum and RandyKing like this.
jennifertemple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 11:01 PM   #5
RH

Rewards Points: 6,890
Thanked 15,537 Times in 8,186 Posts
View RH's Photo Album My Photos

If you haven’t done much spraying, get good at using fflp tips in an airless. Get some old cabinet doors and boxes and practice.

And though not a requirement, painters who have shops in which they can do the doors and drawer fronts have an advantage IMO.
Wildbill7145, Vylum, Joe67 and 1 others like this.

Bill Watterson
RH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 06:12 AM   #6
King Dude

Rewards Points: 2
Thanked 5,115 Times in 2,924 Posts
View Rbriggs82's Photo Album My Photos

It's all about developing a system and having a shop really is the ticket. For the last couple years I've developed a system that allows me to turn around an average size cabinet set in 2.5 days start to finish that look and feel amazing. I'd say so far this year a good 70% of my work has been cabinets and I've been doing them for the last month straight with two of the next three week scheduled with them.

I love doing them but they are definitely more stressful and it took me a while to really hone in on my system, products, and spray equipment.

Finished up these oak ones yesterday. Normally I'm not a fan of gray cabinets but I think they went well in this kitchen.

Edit: I forgot to answer your original question as to why I started doing them. I work with my father who has just turned 62, it's just the two of us. He's in good shape and can handle physically demanded work. That said he's not getting any younger so I made the decision to get into cabinet painting because it's less taxing on the body.

He's always asking, what's with all these cabinet jobs? I feel like we're turning into a cabinet painting company. He's pretty much right, that's exactly what we're morphing into. Since I'm in charge of marketing I did it on purpose to protect and keep him healthy for as long as I can.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|

|
|

Last edited by Rbriggs82; 05-23-2020 at 07:50 AM..
Rbriggs82 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rbriggs82 For This Useful Post:
finishesbykevyn (05-25-2020), RH (05-23-2020)
Old 05-23-2020, 06:29 AM   #7
Kev D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbriggs82 View Post
It's all about developing a system and having a shop really is the ticket. For the last couple years I've developed a system that allows me to turn around an average size cabinet set in 2.5 days start to finish that look and feel amazing. I'd say so far this year a good 70% of my work has been cabinets and I've been doing them for the last month straight with two of the next three week scheduled with them.

I love doing them but they are definitely more stressful and it took me a while to really hone in on my system, products, and spray equipment.

Finished up these oak ones yesterday. Normally I'm not a fan of gray cabinets but I think they went well in this kitchen.

Which products are you using now RBriggs, if you don't mind me asking.?
Old 05-23-2020, 06:37 AM   #8
Kev D.

Quote:
even if youre getting good prices for interior work is it that much more lucrative to take the risk?
The biggest reason I enjoy the cabinets is that:
A: Quoting is easy. You can easily do a per door quote over text/email.
B: Can charge more, as it's a niche market. People will pay for it.
C: Much more satisfying than just another residential repaint. Yawn..

Don't get me wrong. Repaints are my bread and butter, but I've been doing it for so long that it no longer feels challenging. There is also more competition in general repaints, which always drives prices down. I love learning new stuff, and the more skills I have, the more valueble I become.
Old 05-23-2020, 06:41 AM   #9
King Dude

Quote:
Which products are you using now RBriggs, if you don't mind me asking.?
Sure, always BIN for primer. Top coat I've tried just about everything I can get locally and haven't found anything that beats the v50 Breakthrough. Those doors were sprayed at 3pm Thursday afternoon, transported and hung yesterday morning.

My house is a Breakthrough testing ground. I have it on my work computer desk, my oak staircase, cabinets, my handrails. Between my kids and my crazy Springer Spaniel we beat the crap out of it. The only touch up I've had to do in the last three years of having it all over my house is where the dog chewed it on a lower cabinet door.
That said I'm always on the hunt for something better I just haven't found anything that checks all the boxes like Breakthrough does.

|
|
|

|
|
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rbriggs82 For This Useful Post:
finishesbykevyn (05-23-2020), vwbowman (05-26-2020)
Old 05-23-2020, 06:47 AM   #10
Kev D.

Just so I'm not mistaking. The V50 is the old high voc version? Ya.?
Old 05-23-2020, 07:20 AM   #11
King Dude

Quote:
Just so I'm not mistaking. The V50 is the old high voc version? Ya.?
That's correct.

finishesbykevyn likes this.

|
|
|

|
|
Old 05-23-2020, 09:48 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 636
View Redux's Photo Album My Photos

I lucked out my first month in business by connecting with an architect who owned a cabinet & millwork manufacturing facility with a detached spray shop. His in-house finisher had just quit and he was looking for another finisher. He ended up handing the shop over to me, rent & utility free w/unrestricted use & no-strings attached. Shortly after, I hired on a finisher who worked in the aerospace industry, contributing a wealth of technical know-how to the operations. Things just sort of snowballed from there, and Iíve been finishing cabinetry now for ~ 35 years, mostly new construction. The trend here shifted back to natural vs painted, going on 10+ years now, with just the periodic paint grade accent cabinet.
finishesbykevyn and Rbriggs82 like this.
Redux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 01:30 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 3,232
View Brushman4's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
There's a member on this site called Repaint Florida and I think all they do is paint cabinets. https://www.repaintflorida.com/
Vylum likes this.
Brushman4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 01:50 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 5,622
Thanked 4,583 Times in 2,541 Posts
View Wildbill7145's Photo Album My Photos

We should summon him for his input. Not sure if he checks in here as much anymore.

@Repaint Florida

Anyhoo, just checked and he's still around. Hopefully he sees this thread.
finishesbykevyn likes this.

Last edited by Wildbill7145; 05-23-2020 at 01:58 PM..
Wildbill7145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 04:57 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 82
Thanked 5,842 Times in 3,153 Posts
View slinger58's Photo Album My Photos

Itís Saturday, so RePaintís probably out riding his motorcycle and living the good life.

I wonder if he ever got that shop air-conditioned?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Brushman4 likes this.
Old 05-23-2020, 05:47 PM   #16
Troy

Rewards Points: 102
Thanked 2,574 Times in 1,137 Posts
View stelzerpaintinginc.'s Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Sure, always BIN for primer. Top coat I've tried just about everything I can get locally and haven't found anything that beats the v50 Breakthrough. Those doors were sprayed at 3pm Thursday afternoon, transported and hung yesterday morning.

My house is a Breakthrough testing ground. I have it on my work computer desk, my oak staircase, cabinets, my handrails. Between my kids and my crazy Springer Spaniel we beat the crap out of it. The only touch up I've had to do in the last three years of having it all over my house is where the dog chewed it on a lower cabinet door.
That said I'm always on the hunt for something better I just haven't found anything that checks all the boxes like Breakthrough does.

On the rare occasion when you have to brush/roll the BT 50, what brush/roller combo have you have the most success with? Do you typically reduce around 5% or no?
Old 05-23-2020, 08:12 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifertemple View Post
@Vylum What is the risk you are referring to? In residences there is very little I would refuse to pain. I even painted a stove once. I've been painting cabinets since my first year in business. Much to the irritation of a few companies that wanted to replace. I would tell clients the cost of painting and updating hardware and they inevitably went with paint. I also often did the insides as well as exposed surfaces. Clients were always thrilled!
something intimidating about high end cabinets. ive sprayed them and brush/rolled them but they were repaints in low light and not in the best condition so i didnt feel the pressure. if i bit the bullet and start advertising for them it seems like a decently sized investment monetarily speaking
Old 05-23-2020, 08:17 PM   #18

Quote:
Top coat I've tried just about everything I can get locally and haven't found anything that beats the v50 Breakthrough.

does that include benny moore products like advance ?
Old 05-23-2020, 08:22 PM   #19
King Dude

Quote:
does that include benny moore products like advance ?
The 16 hour recoat time automatically rules it out for me. Ain't got time for dat!

Vylum likes this.

|
|
|

|
|
Old 05-23-2020, 08:33 PM   #20

Rewards Points: 82
Thanked 5,842 Times in 3,153 Posts
View slinger58's Photo Album My Photos

Just finished brushing some bathroom cabinets with Advance semigloss HC-168, Chelsea Gray. I think Iím through using Advance in dark colors. Even after 24 hours dry, the first coat was still slightly tacky. The slow dry/cure has been an issue with medium-dark colors since Advance came out.

Iíll just go back to oil paint from now on. The recoat time is no different and Iíve certainly used enough of it in my time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to slinger58 For This Useful Post:
finishesbykevyn (05-25-2020), Rbriggs82 (05-23-2020)

Tags
None