Does SIZE matter? - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Business > Business, Marketing, and Sales

Old 11-10-2010, 01:56 PM   #1
www.mpwdenver.com

Rewards Points: 150
View Mod Paint Works's Photo Album My Photos
Default Does SIZE matter?

Do you think having a logo'd full size truck as opposed to a smaller truck/SUV matters as far as potential clients? Like, if you were driving down the road and saw a Jeep Patriot (similar to the ol' Cherokee) with a nice logo on back window and then you saw a F-150 with an equally nice logo on back, would you pick one over the other? I know appearance of vehicle can mean "make or break", just curious if bigger truck gives more of a "Contractor" appeal...???

I drive a Jeep Patriot (fuel efficient, low to ground for ladders, good amount of cargo space) and this has popped in my head many times. I love my Jeep for the above reasons, however, space is getting challenging as my biz grows. A full size truck seems to be in my future.

Thoughts...???

Thanks!
Mod Paint Works is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2010, 02:09 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 556
View LA Painter's Photo Album My Photos

Truck or Van = Pro

Graphics on the vehicle = Established business

Graphics on the back window = Temporary Business

You asked...
LA Painter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to LA Painter For This Useful Post:
aaron61 (11-10-2010), Dave Mac (11-10-2010), Different Strokes (01-22-2011), nEighter (11-11-2010), NEPS.US (11-11-2010), Rick the painter (11-12-2010)
Old 11-10-2010, 03:10 PM   #3
Painting Contractor

Rewards Points: 1,888
Thanked 2,423 Times in 1,140 Posts
View George Z's Photo Album My Photos

You mean for estimates?
Who cares. A salesperson doesn't have to drive a large van or a truck.
Clean, and presentable is fine.
I drive my Nissan Altima.

Work trucks, I don't know.
Aaron's trucks look really nice.
I don't pay so much attention to our vehicles,
but I think I should be.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
George Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2010, 03:26 PM   #4
Paint to fish

Rewards Points: 160
Thanked 5,165 Times in 2,818 Posts
View DeanV's Photo Album My Photos

I use an Ford Escape for my running around and an F-150 for the work vehicle. Once we get a little steadier, hopefully next year, I will add a full size van.

To work out of, you really need a full size vehicle unless all you do are really small jobs. If I painted all the time, no way and escape or jeep size vehicle would work.
DeanV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 04:05 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,030
Thanked 4,211 Times in 2,057 Posts
View aaron61's Photo Album My Photos

You only get 1 chance to make a 1st impression!

aaron61 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to aaron61 For This Useful Post:
Different Strokes (01-22-2011), nEighter (11-11-2010), NEPS.US (11-11-2010), sage (11-10-2010), Schmidt & Co. (11-10-2010)
Old 11-10-2010, 04:08 PM   #6
Old as dirt member

Rewards Points: 688
Thanked 8,440 Times in 4,284 Posts
View Schmidt & Co.'s Photo Album My Photos

My first impression would be that you can't handle the larger jobs, that you just do one & two room jobs.......
NEPS.US (11-11-2010)
Old 11-10-2010, 04:09 PM   #7
Old as dirt member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron61 View Post
You only get 1 chance to make a 1st impression!
Couldn't agree more!
Old 11-10-2010, 04:29 PM   #8

I pulled up to give a proposal once and another guy was just getting in his ride to leave.He drove a newer cadillac and looked like he just came from the beach!
The HO said to me,"get a load of that guy, I'd never hire him."

Asked him why?

His response,
"Because of the way he looks! like he'd rather be in his cadillac goin to the beach" I don't think he's ever painted in his life!

Always look clean & neat & keep your vehicle looking the same. If you're in the trades you should probably be driving something that reflects that.
There's a fine line between looking like a salesman and a business owner! IMHO

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aaron61 For This Useful Post:
Different Strokes (12-19-2010), jack pauhl (11-10-2010)
Old 11-10-2010, 04:36 PM   #9
Old as dirt member

Quote:
I pulled up to give a proposal once and another guy was just getting in his ride to leave.He drove a newer cadillac and looked like he just came from the beach!
The HO said to me,"get a load of that guy, I'd never hire him."

Asked him why?

His response,
"Because of the way he looks! like he'd rather be in his cadillac goin to the beach" I don't think he's ever painted in his life!

Always look clean & neat & keep your vehicle looking the same. If you're in the trades you should probably be driving something that reflects that.
I had the exact same experience myself a number of years ago. I needed a new fence and called a large company here. The estimator shows up in a brand new Mercedes!

I hired the next guy that came in a clean, (not new) lettered pick up.....
aaron61 (11-10-2010)
Old 11-10-2010, 05:24 PM   #10
Paint to fish

Just like anything else, select the right tool for the job. At some point, driving around in a truck might be the right tool for me a business owner, but right now the gas mileage savings almost pays for the vehicle compared to an F-150. It still hauls paint to the crew as needed, is lettered up on the windows, can haul the work trailer to the jobsite, and cheaper insurance as well.

Would I like a full size truck? Maybe. From a cost benefit analysis the Escape saves me money. Would an Escape be my only work vehicle? Never.
Old 11-10-2010, 05:29 PM   #11
Old as dirt member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanV View Post
Just like anything else, select the right tool for the job. At some point, driving around in a truck might be the right tool for me a business owner, but right now the gas mileage savings almost pays for the vehicle compared to an F-150. It still hauls paint to the crew as needed, is lettered up on the windows, can haul the work trailer to the jobsite, and cheaper insurance as well.

Would I like a full size truck? Maybe. From a cost benefit analysis the Escape saves me money. Would an Escape be my only work vehicle? Never.
I have no problem with that dean. I've often thought about a small SUV or minivan for estimates and small deliveries.

But my thinking was directed at the OP using a Jeep patriot as his only work vehicle.....
DeanV (11-10-2010)
Old 11-10-2010, 05:38 PM   #12
Paint to fish

For me, the Escape still looked somewhat truck-like/contractor-like.

In my opinion, showing up in a Cadilac or Mercedes sends the wrong message as well. If my F-150 is in use and my Escape is in the shop, I try to not do estimates in my family's Suburban. Not the message I want to send.
Old 11-10-2010, 05:52 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 1,000
Thanked 1,136 Times in 611 Posts
View y.painting's Photo Album My Photos

The nicest "work/estimator" vehicle I saw was a Mercedes R class for a paving company driving on the hw in Boston.

Not sure that I would necessarily not hire someone that came in a car like that, but that would be a little weird.

As far as the SUV/smaller truck, I don't think there is anything wrong with it. I do quite a few estimates every week and the money that would go towards all that extra fuel in a 350 or a large van, I'd rather go to my salary. In the past, I've done estimates out of a Chevy Canyon and a Ford Ranger. Now, I'm driving a Chevy HHR Panel edition.

I have vans, but they're used mostly for tools/ladders/etc. My car is for estimates and is more than enough for job-site deliveries whenever needed.
y.painting is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to y.painting For This Useful Post:
aaron61 (11-10-2010), nEighter (11-11-2010)
Old 11-10-2010, 07:26 PM   #14
Systems Fanatic

Rewards Points: 500
View Brian's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
I have long thought that they were the same thing. A business owner who isn't a salesman probably won't be a business owner for long.

Brian Phillips

Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 07:29 PM   #15

My point being that the HO usually has a negative view of someone who just looks like a "salesman" rather than someone who is representing their business and has knowledge of the trade.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to aaron61 For This Useful Post:
Different Strokes (12-19-2010), johnpaint (11-10-2010), Schmidt & Co. (11-10-2010)
Old 11-10-2010, 08:37 PM   #16
Lambrecht Painting

Rewards Points: 1,094
Thanked 1,307 Times in 656 Posts
View Lambrecht's Photo Album My Photos

I think a lettered truck or van with logo shows a more established business. However, I think that a vehicle with a magnetic sign stuck to it screams cheap, fly by night take the money and run.
admirableptg (11-11-2010)
Old 11-10-2010, 08:41 PM   #17
Logistics

Rewards Points: 2,100
View jack pauhl's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambrecht View Post
I think a lettered truck or van with logo shows a more established business. However, I think that a vehicle with a magnetic sign stuck to it screams cheap, fly by night take the money and run.
I tried so hard this morning to capture a photo of a handyman/painter/tree service van on the highway.. no luck but it was a full size white van, newer, but dirty.

The largest lettering on the van read HIRE A HUSBAND plastered crooked across the driver side door and back door.

jack pauhl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jack pauhl For This Useful Post:
aaron61 (11-10-2010)
Old 11-10-2010, 11:11 PM   #18

Rewards Points: 2,486
Thanked 6,705 Times in 4,460 Posts
View Workaholic's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack pauhl View Post
I tried so hard this morning to capture a photo of a handyman/painter/tree service van on the highway.. no luck but it was a full size white van, newer, but dirty.

The largest lettering on the van read HIRE A HUSBAND plastered crooked across the driver side door and back door.
I need to get a picture of this truck I seen near the job today, it was a big white bread truck with the words stenciled with spray paint "Have Skill Saw And Stuff Will Travel"
I will have to grab a pic of it.
Workaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 12:15 AM   #19
Lambrecht Painting

Rewards Points: 1,094
Thanked 1,307 Times in 656 Posts
View Lambrecht's Photo Album My Photos

I think we should have a thread dedicated to ridiculous signage on work vehicles I know of a few local ones that would be great to post.
Old 11-11-2010, 01:47 AM   #20

Rewards Points: 2,658
Thanked 6,792 Times in 4,040 Posts
View ewingpainting.net's Photo Album My Photos

The only markings I have on my truck is my licenses plate holder. And that's just because my beautiful wife got it for me. I display it proudly.

I have a competitor that has a wrapped trailer. He happened to be painting 2 doors down from me. He explained how the wrapping helps get him work. After that he was bragging bout his #'s

I wasn't impressed and I doubt it was his wrapped vehicle rather his cheap pricing.

Another guy I know had a full wrap on his car, he is now searching other ventures.

I don't think it shows a stable company. Rather I think it can be the opposite, like the hand slide of a magician.
ewingpainting.net is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ewingpainting.net For This Useful Post:
George Z (11-11-2010)

Tags
None