Done using Yelp rant - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Business > Business, Marketing, and Sales

Old 02-20-2013, 01:03 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
View Perfect Edge's Photo Album My Photos
Default Done using Yelp rant

It's taken me basically 2 years to get my biz off the ground in a new town, I finally have enough work, images, and $ to get a real website started. I'm trying to figure out how all the SEO madness and organic search results work. I've been working on all the free listings I can get my name on for at least a year now, Yelp of course is a big one.

I'm sure a lot of you know that Yelp heavily filters their reviews. It's more than just dropping reviews of one time users, I've had reviews from 2 clients with active accounts get filtered. For a short time before the filter dropped two 5 star reviews, I was on the first page of Google and Best of Yelp thing at the bottom. The reviews disappeared and so did the traffic. To a review based shopper, my biz looks less trustworthy/appealing, whatever than the "competition". I say "competition" because in an ideal fair world some hack who doesn't paint, shows up to his jobsites once or never in dress clothes to tell his sketchy labor to work faster- would never be my competition. I know 2 of these guys, they pay clients to review with written scripts, they have no idea what their guys are doing or even if they are doing it right. I won't rig my reviews and only ask for honest testimonials in the client's own words.

I got sick of it, and wrote this to Yelp:

Subject: your filter sucks

How is a small business supposed to keep customer interest when your filter cans legitimate reviews? I'm done using Yelp. So many other business owners I've talked to and countless online discussions concur, it's not worth the time. If my competitors are lucky enough to have an active user who won't be filtered post their review, their reviews show- mine don't. Never mind that I offer a superior service... when potential clients see a review on a competitor's listing and not on mine, they will think my business is inferior. Business is actually down since I've had a Yelp listing.

This isn't a $2 slice of pizza business, it's $2,000-$10,000 per job business. Professions like ours don't have the luxury of every college student in town writing a review every time they have dinner. Maybe you should consider a disclaimer that offers the probability of reviews not showing on a listing... that is the ONLY reason businesses list on your service in the first place.

Yes, I only had 5 reviews, all 5 stars. Yes, my clients aren't all active users. It's hard enough to get customers to sign up for another account they don't want, only to find out their time and mine is wasted. Yelp has lots of potential, but a long way to go.

Watching schmucks get my work in Fort Collins, CO,

Joshua Cline
owner/operator
Perfect Edge

I know that won't make a bit of difference but I had to let them know. Can't wait to move again exclusively into the custom homes market and be done with this game.
Perfect Edge is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2013, 09:47 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,018
View MikeCalifornia's Photo Album My Photos

Yelp will tell you to trust that the filter catches everyone in the same manner, it does but it will hurt you if you do not have constant reviews to filter through. If yelp is your main source of leads, you might just bite the bullet and start paying them for front page ads.
MikeCalifornia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:39 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10
View Perfect Edge's Photo Album My Photos

Yeah that's the problem, that I don't have enough reviews to make it constant. I wouldn't say it's my main source of leads, but I do like the format and that it seems to attract younger, better educated clientele. With so many directions I could throw my advertising money, it's hard to say which resource has more potential. That's the game that I hate playing, but that's what lots of us have to do.

I miss the days of regular designers, realtors, builders and client's friends and family calling. This town seems to be hard to get footing in, so for now I'll play the game and take what I can get.
Perfect Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2013, 10:28 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 12
View Truckee Painter's Photo Album My Photos

Unfortunately you just can't quit Yelp. It is impossible to delete your company. I live for the day that yelp gets axed. They actually remove good reviews so you will pay up for control of your listing. It's extortion in my personal opinion.
Truckee Painter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 01:49 PM   #5
Grants Painting

Rewards Points: 150
View GrantsPainting's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckee Painter View Post
Unfortunately you just can't quit Yelp. It is impossible to delete your company. I live for the day that yelp gets axed. They actually remove good reviews so you will pay up for control of your listing. It's extortion in my personal opinion.
It is extortion and so is angies list. They say companies dont pay to be on there. BS! If that was true why are guys with lesser ratings above me? Cause they pay. But Im not too sure about Yelp going away anytime soon. They are a public company and I really wouldn't short their stock with my money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect Edge View Post
Yeah that's the problem, that I don't have enough reviews to make it constant. I wouldn't say it's my main source of leads, but I do like the format and that it seems to attract younger, better educated clientele. With so many directions I could throw my advertising money, it's hard to say which resource has more potential. That's the game that I hate playing, but that's what lots of us have to do.

I miss the days of regular designers, realtors, builders and client's friends and family calling. This town seems to be hard to get footing in, so for now I'll play the game and take what I can get.
Google will also return good customers that are young and well educated. I created my site for under a $700 and a ton of time. I rank really well in Greenwood and not too shabby for Indianapolis too and its only 6 months old.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by GrantsPainting; 03-01-2013 at 01:51 PM..
GrantsPainting is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None