Dropping yellow book listing - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Business > Business, Marketing, and Sales

Old 09-01-2010, 10:29 PM   #1
Paint to fish

Rewards Points: 26
Thanked 5,152 Times in 2,807 Posts
View DeanV's Photo Album My Photos
Default Dropping yellow book listing

I told my yellow book salesman I did not want to renew this year unless it was no more than $20/month. Too poor of lead quality. Too few calls to be worth while. I tried the 1/4 or whatever add last year plus the in column. I tried the larger in column add this year. Really not much worthwhile came from either one. This year was worse than last year. You can pick the yellow book leads out in the first 2 sentences usually.

Can't say the yellow pages seem any better.

Any of you drop both of these?
DeanV is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2010, 11:21 PM   #2
Paint Store Owner

Rewards Points: 2,000
Thanked 2,995 Times in 1,802 Posts
View NCPaint1's Photo Album My Photos

I just have the listing, no ads. Phonebooks are going the way of the Dodo, right along with newspapers.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
NCPaint1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NCPaint1 For This Useful Post:
nEighter (09-02-2010)
Old 09-02-2010, 06:28 AM   #3
Born To Be Mild

Thanked 1,704 Times in 1,000 Posts
View bikerboy's Photo Album My Photos

I reduced my ad size the last two years and dropped them this year. Get better results with web and LPQ.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

bikerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2010, 12:54 PM   #4
Almost Gone

Rewards Points: 516
Thanked 6,377 Times in 3,759 Posts
View TJ Paint's Photo Album My Photos

I've been considering dropping my ad all together this year. I don't have a website, but was planning on getting one going to replace the leads I'd lose from dropping yellow pages.

I do get a few decent jobs per year from my yellow pages ad, however, and makes me somewhat reluctant to not advertise. The problem I have with yellow pages is, every year they up the price on your existing ad style to where it makes sense to upgrade because the upgrade is discounted to the new price of your existing ad. But, in the end, it means every year the price goes up.

Another thing is, it seems like almost every sales person I've worked with doesn't really want to help. It feels like they don't give a crap, that you're a business and have to advertise so why do they need to offer suggestions or be of any real service. I'd be happier if it felt like they were more a part of my marketing team rather than a used car salesmen, which they feel more like.

In the end, I'm still afraid to drop the advertising altogether, and rely on a website I would need to erect in its place.

I was considering placing ads in other places like: newspaper, a local midweek paper, doing doorknob flyers and such as a way to diversify my advertising and take the place of the yellowpages.

I know the yellowpages are not being used nearly as much as they used to. But, as of yet, every year I get a few nice jobs from it, so its hard to let it go, even though it feels expensive.

TJ Paint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 02:03 PM   #5
Born To Be Mild

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ Paint View Post
I know the yellowpages are not being used nearly as much as they used to. But, as of yet, every year I get a few nice jobs from it, so its hard to let it go, even though it feels expensive.
I mainly get three catgories of people from the yellow pages.
  1. People looking for a job. (The most calls)
  2. Somebody getting many estimates because the boss told them to.
  3. Price shoppers / tire kickers / elderly. People where price is the main determining factor in choosing a painter.
Probably should have stayed in, but I get more good leads most months from my website than a year of the yellow pages.

I use these guys and am real happy with them.

Old 09-02-2010, 02:07 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,658
Thanked 6,792 Times in 4,040 Posts
View ewingpainting.net's Photo Album My Photos

Never advertised with them. I was shocked when a painter told me he spent 15k on his. I do advertise in a local book. Just for name recognition/branding. That's only 300 bucks or so a year.
ewingpainting.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 02:13 PM   #7

On that note, I actually painted a house for the owner of that local book. I was amazed how many business don't pay their bill. He was giving me the scoop on some of my competors too.
Old 09-02-2010, 03:22 PM   #8
Estimator/Instructor

Rewards Points: 500
View Harry's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via Skype™ to Harry

No one uses the Yellow Pages anymore...
Old 09-02-2010, 05:08 PM   #9
Systems Fanatic

View Brian's Photo Album My Photos

For the past several years I have had a bold listing. This year I've had 3 leads, and sold 2 jobs for $7,747. The ads have cost $228 YTD. For every dollar I've spent, I've generated almost $34 in sales. That is a spectacular ROI and I would do it all day long.

After years of testing a variety of ad sizes, messages, etc. the bold listing has the best ROI by far. Certainly it doesn't generate a ton of leads, but that isn't the proper way to analyze any advertising piece.

Brian Phillips

Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Brian For This Useful Post:
Burt White (09-06-2010)
Old 09-02-2010, 05:32 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 2,030
Thanked 4,211 Times in 2,057 Posts
View aaron61's Photo Album My Photos

aaron61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 05:36 PM   #11

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sb5P619VmPE[/YOUTUBE]

Old 09-02-2010, 05:52 PM   #12

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fg4VEKqQvNc[/YOUTUBE]

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aaron61 For This Useful Post:
johnpaint (09-03-2010), mistcoat (09-02-2010)
Old 09-02-2010, 08:01 PM   #13

View One Coat Coverage's Photo Album My Photos

Everyone that owns a business should be advertising in the phone book! Whats wrong with you people? No, seriously, they do generate leads, and they are good for new start-up businesses because you have no reputation and you have to start somewhere.

But after you have been in the book for a couple of years, they want to double the price of the ad. Thats when you get out.
One Coat Coverage is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to One Coat Coverage For This Useful Post:
AztecPainting (09-06-2010), Burt White (09-06-2010)
Old 09-03-2010, 07:30 AM   #14
Paint to fish

Rewards Points: 26
Thanked 5,152 Times in 2,807 Posts
View DeanV's Photo Album My Photos

I just gets calls for crazy stuff most of the time. People who call on Saturday for an estimate because they are going out of town on Monday and want painting to start Monday (this during peak season). Another call on a Friday to have painters work over the weekend to paint there interior by Monday. People who only want an over the phone price. Calls from homes in run down shape (like, 100 year homes that have not been painted in 50 years) that you know you are not going to end up doing.

That would be 99.9% of my phone book leads.
DeanV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DeanV For This Useful Post:
aaron61 (09-03-2010), Burt White (09-06-2010), PatsPainting (09-03-2010), Rick the painter (09-03-2010)
Old 09-03-2010, 11:27 AM   #15

Rewards Points: 75
View Southfork's Photo Album My Photos

yellowbook is a dinosaur.
Southfork is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Southfork For This Useful Post:
aaron61 (09-03-2010)
Old 09-06-2010, 12:53 AM   #16
A PAINTER PAINTING

Rewards Points: 150
View Burt White's Photo Album My Photos

I am interested in yellow book .com thou. I think the .com is the way to go, anny thouts?
Burt White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 09:26 AM   #17
Paint Store Owner

Thanked 2,995 Times in 1,802 Posts
View NCPaint1's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burt White View Post
I am interested in yellow book .com thou. I think the .com is the way to go, anny thouts?
Think of how many time YOU use something. Do you use yellowbook . com? I dont think I ever have. Dont get me wrong, the more places you advertise your business, the easier it is to be found.

NCPaint1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 09:50 AM   #18
Born To Be Mild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burt White View Post
For what they charge for that, you may be able to get a professional website built.

Old 09-06-2010, 10:40 AM   #19
RCP

Rewards Points: 78
Thanked 4,804 Times in 3,011 Posts
View RCP's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCPaint1 View Post
Think of how many time YOU use something. Do you use yellowbook . com? I dont think I ever have. Dont get me wrong, the more places you advertise your business, the easier it is to be found.
I think with Yellowbook.com, you get picked up in a lot of the local online directories.

RCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 10:56 AM   #20

Ya, It helps with seo. I think google uses it for ranking.

Tags
None