Duration & SuperPaint - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Business > Business, Marketing, and Sales

Old 03-10-2011, 08:17 PM   #1
Paintist

Rewards Points: 506
View Andyman's Photo Album My Photos
Default Duration & SuperPaint

I recently quoted an exterior with SuperPaint. I gave them a 1 coat price and a 2 coat price. The HO came to me and asked why 2 coats. So I gave her reasons why such as proper build, uniformity, proper application (warranty) ect. She said neither of the other bids mentioned 2 coats. She then came to me and asked about Duration. I'm sure she did some research and saw "one coat on repaint for lifetime warranty." Now I know Duration is a great paint and I have used it many times, but I am a little skeptical when it comes to a "lifetime warranty" vs a 25 year warranty. When I price Duration for one coat it is more than 1 coat of SuperPaint but less than 2 coats of Super. Maybe my pricing strategy is off but I can see an easy up sell to Duration but I just do not think it will last a lifetime and I don't want to be in the middle of a paint manufacture warranty battle. Maybe I need to be clear on "my" warranty vs "their" warranty. How do you handle selling Super vs Duration and maybe for some of the 'old timers' does one coat of Duration really last a lifetime? Does two coats of Super really last 25 years?
Andyman is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2011, 08:21 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000
View timhag's Photo Album My Photos

One coat, two coats where needed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

timhag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 08:38 PM   #3
Renegade Mod

Rewards Points: 302
Thanked 8,696 Times in 4,066 Posts
View Wolfgang's Photo Album My Photos

Why would you quote a 1 coat price when one coat would effectively nullify a mfg's warranty, (due to required mil thickness), thereby putting any warranty issues solely on you? Doesn't make any sense what so ever. You might just as well use some cheap off-brand.

The 25 yr and Lifetime warranties are mainly just a selling/marketing issue for the Mfg's. Usually what you'll end up seeing is some substrate failure not caused by the paint causing failure. Rotting wood, damaged siding, etc.. Plenty of threads here on 1 coat vs 2 coats.
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2011, 08:44 PM   #4

View timhag's Photo Album My Photos

I don't understand why one would give a one coat AND a two coat bid. It's either one or the other. When you think you could get it done in one coat, you should have told them............one coat, two coats where needed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

timhag is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to timhag For This Useful Post:
HQP2005 (03-02-2012)
Old 03-10-2011, 08:47 PM   #5
Renegade Mod

Some people drive Yugo's - others drive Beemers. But everybody wants a Beemer for the price of a Yugo.
4ThGeneration (08-10-2011), timhag (03-10-2011)
Old 03-10-2011, 09:02 PM   #6
Paintist

So you believe that one coat of Duration will out last two coats of Super?
Old 03-10-2011, 09:08 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,486
Thanked 6,705 Times in 4,460 Posts
View Workaholic's Photo Album My Photos

Unless it is simply a maintenance coat for something that is going to the be the same color and been painted not long ago you should go with two coats. I used a good bit of Resilience this last year which I liked, it is in between Duration and SP in the product line.
Workaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 09:11 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,574
Thanked 5,172 Times in 2,981 Posts
View straight_lines's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via Yahoo to straight_lines

You liked Resilience? Really? I couldn't get it to one coat white on white where caulked cracks in posts mildewed under the current paint (A100).

Primer makes everything better...
straight_lines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 09:14 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by straight_lines View Post
You liked Resilience? Really? I couldn't get it to one coat white on white where caulked cracks in posts mildewed under the current paint (A100).
I have not had any problems like that on a two coat paint job. I hate A100 I think it is pretty transparent.

I just reread you could not get it to cover the same color? Weird I used a lot of it last season and had no problems.
Old 03-10-2011, 09:15 PM   #10
Renegade Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyman View Post
So you believe that one coat of Duration will out last two coats of Super?
Nope. You still have to build up the mil thickness to meet the mfg's specs. Sure, I may be able to effectively cover everything in a single coat to where it looks decent, but it won't perform as well unless it is applied to specs.
Old 03-10-2011, 09:26 PM   #11
Paintist

I had a bad experience with Resilience on some shutters and a front door last year that turned me away from it. The paint remained tacky for weeks, actually months. It didn't seem to cure right. These shutters were made by a cabinet shop out of mahogany. Not cheap. I oil primed them and two coats of Resilience. The HO called ticked that these and their front door were still tacky. That $30ish a gallon "lifetime warranty" paint really didn't matter. The reimbursement of that one gallon wouldn't have justified the cost to redo these shutters. However, months later they did dry but it really taught me what the warranty means. Nothing. Haven't touched it since.

Wolf- The Duration specs on repaint is one coat with proper prep qualifies for warranty. I also do not think it will out perform two coats of Super but by their specs it will and that is what HO doing research see. If this be true, why in the heck would you do anything else??
Old 03-10-2011, 09:29 PM   #12

I hear ya, I have not had any of those problems that you and Straight have had, if I had I would probably be sitting here saying it is crap.

Bottom line is screw SW.
The Following User Says Thank You to Workaholic For This Useful Post:
Bender (03-10-2011)
Old 03-10-2011, 09:29 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 8
Thanked 3,481 Times in 1,798 Posts
View Bender's Photo Album My Photos

SW sux

Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 09:34 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 1,574
Thanked 5,172 Times in 2,981 Posts
View straight_lines's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via Yahoo to straight_lines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workaholic View Post
I hear ya, I have not had any of those problems that you and Straight have had, if I had I would probably be sitting here saying it is crap.

Bottom line is screw SW.
You understand what I was saying? Ona beach house on pilings they are usually 6x6 or greater treated. The splits get caulked after primer usually oil, and that caulk will discolor like mildew under the top coats.

Same white in Resilience wouldn't cover the discolored caulking in one coat. This wasn't a bad repaint maybe 4 yrs old form NC. Something any good paint should do imo.

Primer makes everything better...
straight_lines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 09:57 PM   #15
314 255-2201

Rewards Points: 150
View Diversers's Photo Album My Photos

Its a numbers game, the warranty become void if the homeowner sells there house, the average HO keeps there house for 10 years. The warranty is just for your cost of the paint, 30 years from know duration is going to be $150 a gallon. When you sell a homeowner the product you cut the warranty off the can and give it to them. Let the homeowner and Sherwin Williams deal with each other.

Diversers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 11:33 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by straight_lines View Post
You understand what I was saying? Ona beach house on pilings they are usually 6x6 or greater treated. The splits get caulked after primer usually oil, and that caulk will discolor like mildew under the top coats.

Same white in Resilience wouldn't cover the discolored caulking in one coat. This wasn't a bad repaint maybe 4 yrs old form NC. Something any good paint should do imo.
Interesting, did they slip a pastel base on you?
Old 03-11-2011, 01:11 AM   #17

Rewards Points: 1,056
View Jason@API's Photo Album My Photos

I spec 85% of my jobs with Duration.

Jason@API is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 07:48 AM   #18

Rewards Points: 244
View salmangeri's Photo Album My Photos

We use Duration........call it liquid caulk........two coat everything when doing exterior.......

salmangeri is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to salmangeri For This Useful Post:
6126 (03-18-2011)
Old 03-11-2011, 08:02 AM   #19
Paint Store Owner

Thanked 2,995 Times in 1,802 Posts
View NCPaint1's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workaholic View Post
Bottom line is screw SW.
I like this thread now

It doesnt matter the product, or the manufacturer. In order to cover the warranty it needs to be applied properly and to the Mfr's specs. Most product warranty's are product replacement only. They're covering a $30'ish can of paint, you're warrantying a $3k ( example ) paint job. I wouldnt base my warranty on theirs. If you choose to offer a warranty, the job need to be done YOUR way, with the products YOU choose...its YOUR warranty after all. Am I right?

NCPaint1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NCPaint1 For This Useful Post:
mpminter (03-28-2011), straight_lines (03-11-2011), Workaholic (03-11-2011)
Old 03-11-2011, 09:27 AM   #20
Paintist

NC- I agree with you. I haven't offered a warranty in the past, my clients rarely even ask about one. I think it is time I specify mine vs theirs. I don't even mention the can warranty unless they ask.
Don't get me wrong guys, I'm all about doing proper prep and application by the can's specs. I just have a hard time thinking one coat of Duration is better than two of Super. And price wise, one of Duration is cheaper than two of Super. EASY up sell but I don't believe it... I might be wrong since I'm not a chemist or since I haven't been in business long enough to see the difference between 25 years and lifetime...

Tags
None