Educating Customers... - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Business > Business, Marketing, and Sales

Old 07-11-2008, 11:39 PM   #1
Paint Nerd

Rewards Points: 250
View michfan's Photo Album My Photos
Default Educating Customers...

I had two estimates yesterday for customers that are sooooo confused and ignorant about painting. It is amazing to me how many of them say "I saw on TV" or "I read online", etc. etc. I think that educating customers is a HUGE part of selling your company. It can at times almost be frustrating though. With all the remodeling shows on TV and access to all sorts of stuff on the internet customers get brainwashed! They think painting is no big deal. Anyone can do it, right?
michfan is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2008, 11:46 PM   #2
tsevnami

Rewards Points: 1,000
View tsunamicontract's Photo Album My Photos

and normal super custom houses are built in less than a week. I find it helps to have a strong arsenal of why that wont work or why this will work better so that after the first couple inquiries not only do they think you know and care about what is best for their project, are comfortable with you, and you get to do it how it should be done.
tsunamicontract is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 11:49 PM   #3
Paint Nerd

I agree. Sometimes it works in my favor because it allows me to straighten out their brainwashed thinking about painting...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2008, 11:54 PM   #4

View seversonspainting's Photo Album My Photos

Painting isn't for everybody. There is a lot more work to painting then people really think. Painting is like art. To get the right look in paint you need lots of skills. Half of today's DIYers don't have skills.

Last edited by seversonspainting; 07-12-2008 at 12:26 AM.. Reason: Fixed my spelling errors. Sorry.
seversonspainting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 12:01 AM   #5
tsevnami

Quote:
paint you lots of skills
good one Sev.
i disagree. painting is easy. it isnt hard to slap a brush on something and say you painted it. To professionally prep for and apply a coating, and do it well takes a lot of skill.
Old 07-12-2008, 12:05 AM   #6
Paint Nerd

Default True Dat

Every good painter knows the secret to a good paint job is the prep work involved. For the most part, actually applying the coating is the easiest part of the job!...one more thing sev. - you no lots of skills in english
Old 07-12-2008, 12:39 AM   #7
tsevnami

Quote:
Originally Posted by michfan View Post
- you no lots of skills in english
skills of english
Old 07-12-2008, 12:40 AM   #8
The Lurker

Rewards Points: 2,000
View MAK-Deco's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by seversonspainting View Post
Painting isn't for everybody.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MAK-Deco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 01:57 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 2,658
Thanked 6,792 Times in 4,040 Posts
View ewingpainting.net's Photo Album My Photos

Ok, before this turns on Sev.
I would agree with you michfan. I have gotten jobs just because I took the time to explain to the client the pros and cons of different procedures and product. I have taken 2 or 3 hrs on this at times. This gave a them more confidence in my service's. But their is a fine line. you cant be bashing the painter you are biding against. Rather I complement them and say good things about them. This shows ones integrity. even if they spray with an Aerosol can.

Last edited by ewingpainting.net; 07-12-2008 at 09:53 PM..
ewingpainting.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 03:52 AM   #10
chief bucket carrier

View EricTheHandyman's Photo Album My Photos

Many consumers don't realize that painting is a skilled trade, just like plumbing or electrical work. There is a skill involved in cutting a straight line or making that fist sized hole disappear. It's all in how you educate the customer.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

EricTheHandyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 04:12 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricTheHandyman View Post
Many consumers don't realize that painting is a skilled trade, just like plumbing or electrical work. There is a skill involved in cutting a straight line or making that fist sized hole disappear. It's all in how you educate the customer.
Hey Eric I like your sayin "No job is too small...or too strange!" on your web
Old 07-12-2008, 08:55 AM   #12
Born To Be Mild

Rewards Points: 2,000
Thanked 1,704 Times in 1,000 Posts
View bikerboy's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewingpainting.net View Post
even if they spray with an arousal can.
????? Man where do I get an AROUSAL can???

I'd love to patent that! Can see that painted on the side of a NASCAR race car now.

bikerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 11:03 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 1,934
Thanked 9,602 Times in 5,454 Posts
View CApainter's Photo Album My Photos

People have concerns hiring contractors they've never worked with before. I believe when they express things like, " I've done my own painting for years. It's just my knees are shot now", or "My son in law is a painting contractor and he recommends so and so..", are comments based on their fear and anxiety of getting screwed for their lack of knowledge rather then an arrogant proclamation about something they know nothing about.

This is where patience, personality, and good communication comes in rather then having the urge to challenge them to a painting duel.
CApainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 04:05 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 75
View Brush and Roller's Photo Album My Photos

I'd love to patent that! Can see that painted on the side of a NASCAR race car now.

I laughed so hard I was crying when I read that! I wondered if anyone else was gonna pick that up.
Brush and Roller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 04:23 PM   #15
tsevnami

AHH! just got it. For Him or Her.
Old 07-12-2008, 06:23 PM   #16
chief bucket carrier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewingpainting.net View Post
Hey Eric I like your sayin "No job is too small...or too strange!" on your web
thanks, anything to be different than the "other guy"

Old 07-12-2008, 06:24 PM   #17
chief bucket carrier

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerboy View Post

check the personal care section at the drug store...

Old 07-12-2008, 09:54 PM   #18

dope!
Old 07-23-2008, 10:08 PM   #19

Rewards Points: 150
View greensboro84's Photo Album My Photos

It doesn't help having magazines say Wal-Mart and Home Depot make the "best" paint. "well it's written right there! it must be true"
greensboro84 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None