Employees - Unemployment etc. - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Business > Business, Marketing, and Sales

Like Tree34Likes

Old 06-04-2020, 01:43 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 26
View DiamondPaintingInc's Photo Album My Photos
Default Employees - Unemployment etc.

Has any contractors wherever your located having a heck of a time hiring employees right now. This is my 24th year in business in Arizona and this is insane right now.

I do not hire that often and my last foreman employee who until recently was with me for 16 years. I do mostly federal work - commercial work. I am doing a Base here in Phoenix as we speak and I posted on Indeed and tried Craigslist just to get lucky. All my employees have to pass a Federal Background check to work at the multiple locations I do work at.

Last month I interviewed 45 "painters" all wanting top dollar and not one could pass a background check. When I say top dollar all the wages are over $7.00 hour more than the Davis Beacon Act wages here in Arizona. Which is a livable wage here in Phoenix Metro area.

I even tried to hire apprentices but they all say the same thing I need cash only I am on unemployment and of course my answer is not going to happen as the work I do is mostly certified payroll type of work (Uncle Sam thing).

The unemployment situation seems like nobody has any interest in going back to work right now or the immediate future.

This is my one post for the year
Stretch67 likes this.
DiamondPaintingInc is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2020, 05:04 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,776
Thanked 9,655 Times in 5,494 Posts
View CApainter's Photo Album My Photos

After making certain that neither I, or my business model was offensive to prospective employees, I might entertain that no one is interested in applying because of the following:

1. Covid 19 related Unemployment benefits are lucrative right now
2. Side jobs supplementing those benefits are on the rise during this time
3. People are afraid of Covid 19 exposure and are waiting for a clearer, All Clear!
4. Working is just not that interesting during this time of upheaval
5. All of the above
finishesbykevyn and slinger58 like this.
CApainter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 08:52 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 22
View juanvaldez's Photo Album My Photos

Including its way too hot in Phoenix this time of year!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
finishesbykevyn likes this.
juanvaldez is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2020, 10:44 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,378
Thanked 1,043 Times in 675 Posts
View MikeCalifornia's Photo Album My Photos

Congress is working on ending the pandemic unemployment bonus, I believe it was ending July 31st anyway. Then a back to work bonus to get them back to work.
MikeCalifornia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 11:36 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 818
View Joe67's Photo Album My Photos

45 "painters" who couldn't pass a background check? Elaborate, please. I profess complete ignorance about what has one failing a federal background check, but that many seems ... odd.

And based on seriously loose math about what you presented (with the Davis Beacon Act and all), it sounds like you're saying that experienced painters wanted $17/hr and this puts you off. Really? Ok. Maybe they were all jokers and not real painters and just F ups and that's why they couldn't pass background checks? But the logic sounds to me like the typical HO questioning of why professional painting costs so much. $17/hr for an experienced painter is cheap.

If you don't want to pay for experience, hire high school teenagers or desperate college students at $12/hr and train them.

No one is getting fat sitting on unemployment benefits. To the extent that it truly is some deterrent to work it's not a statement about laziness, but a statement about an F'ed up economic structure where surpluses easily flow up and little to nothing "trickles down."
Fman and Brushman4 like this.
Joe67 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Joe67 For This Useful Post:
Brushman4 (06-05-2020)
Old 06-05-2020, 11:06 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 26
View DiamondPaintingInc's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe67 View Post
45 "painters" who couldn't pass a background check? Elaborate, please. I profess complete ignorance about what has one failing a federal background check, but that many seems ... odd.

And based on seriously loose math about what you presented (with the Davis Beacon Act and all), it sounds like you're saying that experienced painters wanted $17/hr and this puts you off. Really? Ok. Maybe they were all jokers and not real painters and just F ups and that's why they couldn't pass background checks? But the logic sounds to me like the typical HO questioning of why professional painting costs so much. $17/hr for an experienced painter is cheap.

If you don't want to pay for experience, hire high school teenagers or desperate college students at $12/hr and train them.

No one is getting fat sitting on unemployment benefits. To the extent that it truly is some deterrent to work it's not a statement about laziness, but a statement about an F'ed up economic structure where surpluses easily flow up and little to nothing "trickles down."
The wage is $26 hour wtf are you talking about $17.00 do you read what I wrote. You must of never worked at any facilities that require background check they take it seriously.
DiamondPaintingInc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 11:21 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondPaintingInc View Post
The wage is $26 hour wtf are you talking about $17.00 do you read what I wrote. You must of never worked at any facilities that require background check they take it seriously.

I read it, but you didn't give enough info to get a number. I was just curious, searched around, found some - apparently wrong info. So sorry.

And I'm sure the feds take it seriously. I was just saying 45 is a lot of people.

Sorry you're having troubles.
Old 06-07-2020, 07:16 AM   #8
Kev D.

Rewards Points: 1,151
View finishesbykevyn's Photo Album My Photos

Up here in Canada, People are loving the paid vaction. Why go back to work when noone expects you too and you get paid for it. Plus you can do side jobs for cash and under cut all the guys like me who are trying to be ethical.
I've vouched not to collect the subsidy of any kind. This includes all the available loans, wage subsidies etc. Mostly because, I don't want any of it coming back on me. You know the government is gonna want thier money back.. I'm trying to keep 1 apprentice painter employed full time, meanwhile I'm getting under cut on almost every job by all the double dippers.
I get it, times are tuff. But.. collect your subsidy and stay out of my business. If your not part of the solution, your part of the problem.
But back to the OP, that is why.. not to mention if your in the painting industry to begin with , there is probably something wrong with you. lol

Last edited by finishesbykevyn; 06-07-2020 at 07:19 AM..
finishesbykevyn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 09:47 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 5,680
Thanked 4,588 Times in 2,545 Posts
View Wildbill7145's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by finishesbykevyn View Post
Up here in Canada, People are loving the paid vaction. Why go back to work when noone expects you too and you get paid for it. Plus you can do side jobs for cash and under cut all the guys like me who are trying to be ethical.
I've vouched not to collect the subsidy of any kind. This includes all the available loans, wage subsidies etc. Mostly because, I don't want any of it coming back on me. You know the government is gonna want thier money back.. I'm trying to keep 1 apprentice painter employed full time, meanwhile I'm getting under cut on almost every job by all the double dippers.
I get it, times are tuff. But.. collect your subsidy and stay out of my business. If your not part of the solution, your part of the problem.
But back to the OP, that is why.. not to mention if your in the painting industry to begin with , there is probably something wrong with you. lol

Same. Didn't apply for anything. Didn't qualify for some stuff, not interested in the other stuff. Rather work and make more than double what they were offering and didn't want to go insane sitting around the house doing nothing.

Lost a couple of jobs because they found someone who was willing to work illegally. Couple of others because I refused to do exteriors when there was snow on the ground a couple of weeks before they were insisting I start but that has nothing to do with anything related to Covid. Not worried about that. Karma will out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Wildbill7145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 09:33 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 668
View Stretch67's Photo Album My Photos

Same here. I've had ads out for 3 months. Not ONE applicant. And we pay union scale which here in MN is $18-36/hour and with all the benefits it's double that.

I know a LOT of people sitting at home making more than they ever have. I also know a lot of people refusing to go to work and using the bs excuse that "Their boss doesn't have adequate Covid protections" so they're sitting home on the dole even while the boss has tons of work and is desperate for help.

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk
Old 06-29-2020, 09:43 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch67 View Post
Same here. I've had ads out for 3 months. Not ONE applicant. And we pay union scale which here in MN is $18-36/hour and with all the benefits it's double that.

I know a LOT of people sitting at home making more than they ever have. I also know a lot of people refusing to go to work and using the bs excuse that "Their boss doesn't have adequate Covid protections" so they're sitting home on the dole even while the boss has tons of work and is desperate for help.

I don't know a single person like that. And if the $600/wk unemployment is people making more than they ever have, then yeah. We have serious structural issues in the economy.
The Following User Says Thank You to Joe67 For This Useful Post:
jennifertemple (06-30-2020)
Old 06-30-2020, 07:12 AM   #12
King Dude

Rewards Points: 2
Thanked 5,122 Times in 2,930 Posts
View Rbriggs82's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
I don't know a single person like that. And if the $600/wk unemployment is people making more than they ever have, then yeah. We have serious structural issues in the economy.
$600 a week federal plus state unemployment. Depending on which state you're located it could be $1000 on up.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
Fman likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|

|
|
Rbriggs82 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rbriggs82 For This Useful Post:
k_derheim (06-30-2020)
Old 06-30-2020, 03:20 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 792
View jennifertemple's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
That is absolutely right! Here in Canada it's $500 weekly, slightly less that 40 hours at minimum wage in Ontario. When the CRA fact checkers start looking for CERB fund repayments. a lot of people will need to repay & some with interest and penalties. Many have already voluntarily returned CERB money for fear of future problems.

"I may be wrong but I doubt it."
jennifertemple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 03:22 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 792
View jennifertemple's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbriggs82 View Post
$600 a week federal plus state unemployment. Depending on which state you're located it could be $1000 on up.

In Canada it's one or, you can not collect both unemployment benefits and CERB.

"I may be wrong but I doubt it."
jennifertemple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 04:01 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 668
View Stretch67's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Its not 600 a week. Its 600 additional. So in MN, that's a total of about $1260 per week when added to the usual benefit.

That's more take home for just about everyone in construction here except maybe the top 20%.

Old 06-30-2020, 06:54 PM   #16
Paint to fish

Rewards Points: 170
Thanked 5,166 Times in 2,819 Posts
View DeanV's Photo Album My Photos

Get this. I know people that have 4 hours of reduced work each week. They qualify for the $600 each week plus some from the state. My daughter was laid off from here part time, $10/ hour job, 10-12 hours a week. She made ~$750 each week on unemployment.
Rbriggs82 and Stretch67 like this.
DeanV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 08:11 PM   #17

I have 2 kids. One a rising college senior so she might not "count" in the "story." But she had a regular FT summer job at a very high end resort as lifeguard and "camp counselor" for the daytime kid programs in addition to doing banquet work at night. It was good summer money for a college student.

The other kid graduated last year and was cranking it in terms of work until about mid-March. He's a theater tech - set carpenter, welder, stage ops, rigging, etc. He was in NYC making very good $$ though in the gig economy.

Both of them had their jobs burned to ashes by the virus, and both of them found alternate employment making far less than they would be if things were normal. But they're both working and not filing for anything. I have no idea if my daughter even could, but the CARES included gig workers like my son.

I still don't know anyone sitting the couch sleepy and belching up the proceeds of public benefits. But I do know a lot of people like my kids.

Sorry that people can't find help though.
Old 06-30-2020, 08:53 PM   #18
Paint to fish

Rewards Points: 170
Thanked 5,166 Times in 2,819 Posts
View DeanV's Photo Album My Photos

On the one hand, I am glad that there was an increase in unemployment paid since we were forced to close by our governor for 6-7 weeks. I don’t want to lose my employees to a forced closure. But, I think it makes more sense to pay out 90ish percent of wages then, not such an elevated amount.
DeanV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 09:17 PM   #19
King Dude

Rewards Points: 2
Thanked 5,122 Times in 2,930 Posts
View Rbriggs82's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanV View Post
On the one hand, I am glad that there was an increase in unemployment paid since we were forced to close by our governor for 6-7 weeks. I donít want to lose my employees to a forced closure. But, I think it makes more sense to pay out 90ish percent of wages then, not such an elevated amount.
I totally agree if you were forced to shut down you and your employees should be paid. The max UC benefit here in SC is $320wk without that extra $600 federal a lot of people would have been hurting big time.

Fman and Joe67 like this.

|
|
|

|
|
Rbriggs82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 09:21 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanV View Post
On the one hand, I am glad that there was an increase in unemployment paid since we were forced to close by our governor for 6-7 weeks. I donít want to lose my employees to a forced closure. But, I think it makes more sense to pay out 90ish percent of wages then, not such an elevated amount.

I can go with that, though happy to go to 100% on a temporary basis. The thing is that keeping $$ circulating spreads the benefits far beyond the individuals on the receipt. It means people still have $$ to spend so they're still buying and the money is flowing and the people still able to make money from that are hiring others who are then able to make money... It's the "percolate up" rather than "trickle down" that's been so much more dominant in US economic policy. (People so often seem to forget that workers also = consumers).

The HO on my current job runs UPS stores - some regional management type. We don't talk much, but he's the type who's sure that government largess destroys the world because he thinks it gives incentive for people to sit on their hands. In the meantime, UPS is doing great - and thus so is he - but he can't see far enough to notice a lot of that UPS business is because people actually do have $$ to spend - and thus are ordering stuff. In other words, he's also a beneficiary. One of the biggest beneficiaries of food stamps? The entire agricultural industry and WalMart.

Of course, the terrible side is that it's all basically fake money and we're all on the hook for it. So that's none too cool.
finishesbykevyn and Rbriggs82 like this.

Tags
None