Estimating commercial projects. need help. - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Business > Business, Marketing, and Sales

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Roamer
  • 1 Post By kmp
  • 1 Post By Worker Bee

Old 07-31-2017, 06:17 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 52
View AGpainting's Photo Album My Photos
Default Estimating commercial projects. need help.

okay, so i recently reached out to a retail building company and they have been emailing me quite a few bid invitations for projects. from what i gather they are expecting the estimation on labour and materials to be based solely on the architectural drawing including in the emails.

im completely new to estimating this way; the other commercial contracting company that i get work from either has me do a site visit, then quote them labour/materials or they would just send me a estimate on the labour/materials themselves.

anyways guys, how exactly do i go about doing this?

any bit of help would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance.
AGpainting is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2017, 08:31 AM   #2
kmp

Rewards Points: 2,606
View kmp's Photo Album My Photos

Yes it's all per plans and spec's on the plans. Sometimes on remodels you will do a walk through but on most ground up jobs there is not much for a finish trade to look at as they are generally for the g.c. Architects are famous for not including enough info on the plans and spec's so you have to ask questions through the g.c. which can take time so getting your final numbers together can be frustrating.Don't miss the addendum's and alternates. Architects have a well deserved low reputation. Plug away at it and it get's easier and faster.
kmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 06:04 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10
View Brushman4's Photo Album My Photos

Make you you pay attention to the scale of the drawing as this will be key in figuring lineal and square footage. For painting most of what you need to know, like specked materials, number of coats and method of application will be contained in the Finish schedule. Sometimes for doors and windows you may have to look at the door and window schedule to find out if they are painted, stained or prefinished. For heights of walls etc. get these off the elevation drawings. And finally make sure you are bidding off of the latest revised print!
Brushman4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2017, 02:34 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,574
Thanked 1,377 Times in 605 Posts
View Roamer's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Yes it's all per plans and spec's on the plans. Sometimes on remodels you will do a walk through but on most ground up jobs there is not much for a finish trade to look at as they are generally for the g.c. Architects are famous for not including enough info on the plans and spec's so you have to ask questions through the g.c. which can take time so getting your final numbers together can be frustrating.Don't miss the addendum's and alternates. Architects have a well deserved low reputation. Plug away at it and it get's easier and faster.
Many times items or specifications are not complete due to the owner or end user of the building not having made whatever choices need to be made to specify what exactly will be the finished product. Whether it is built-ins or the type of faucets and other fixtures. Remember that your list of exclusions can some times be longer than your scope of work.

If you don't see built-ins on the plans then put them on your list of exclusions. What's more, to avoid missing any changes to the scope be sure and mention in your proposal that you bid off of plans from whatever date is on the plans. Plans change, frequently.
Brushman4 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 05:21 PM   #5
kmp

Rewards Points: 2,606
View kmp's Photo Album My Photos

My problem with architects and spec writers is they either just click and drag a set of specs from one project to another without making sure they will fit the job. Or no spec's at all. I bid a job last week that had no spec's for paint, flooring, tile, counter tops and one other that I can't remember. I cant do my job when they won't do theirs. I hate the masters painters institute stuff as well.
Brushman4 likes this.
kmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 08:30 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 436
View Worker Bee's Photo Album My Photos

Over bid.... Looking at drawings and walking thruogh are two different animals.
Brushman4 likes this.
Worker Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 02:00 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 30
View cscny's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGpainting View Post
okay, so i recently reached out to a retail building company and they have been emailing me quite a few bid invitations for projects. from what i gather they are expecting the estimation on labour and materials to be based solely on the architectural drawing including in the emails.

im completely new to estimating this way; the other commercial contracting company that i get work from either has me do a site visit, then quote them labour/materials or they would just send me a estimate on the labour/materials themselves.

anyways guys, how exactly do i go about doing this?

any bit of help would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance.
I was going to message you I may be able to help with future bids but it won't let me send a pm for some reason.
cscny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 07:59 PM   #8
centralabpainter

Rewards Points: 80
View centralalbertapaint's Photo Album My Photos

Hire an estimator!
That's what I did!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
centralalbertapaint is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None