Facebook without a Webpage - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Business > Business, Marketing, and Sales

Old 12-21-2015, 03:19 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 90
View rml63's Photo Album My Photos
Default Facebook without a Webpage

Hello All,
In my area in southeastern ontario there are many small busineses that have both facebook and a webpage. I was talking with a painter and a children's clothing manufacturer and they both said that it is facebook that drives the business.

I know another carpenter that gets a fair amount of work from facebook alone. Do you guys have or need both?

Thanks
Mike
rml63 is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2015, 03:58 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 250
View Epoxy Pro's Photo Album My Photos

Mike,

We have both and our Facebook page brings us more work.

My and my partners personal Facebook pages have only people we know, most from our area still. We only invite friends that are on our personal page. Our customers and a few from here liked our page.
Epoxy Pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 05:14 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 764
Thanked 1,821 Times in 1,136 Posts
View DrakeB's Photo Album My Photos

We have both, get way more traction from our Facebook. But that may also be because our website is garbage. New one is in the works, theoretically. We'll see how much we get from there.

I think a great website is as big an asset as Facebook. But anything less than a great website is absolutely superfluous. If I was just going to have 1, it'd be the Facebook hands down. Why? Because your audience is already there, plugged in, every day.

That being said, don't neglect your Google Local Business profile because that's the most important of all.
DrakeB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DrakeB For This Useful Post:
ElTacoPaco (12-28-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2015, 07:24 PM   #4
King Dude

Rewards Points: 2
Thanked 5,112 Times in 2,921 Posts
View Rbriggs82's Photo Album My Photos

Facebook is great but to really drum up business with it you have to pay. Either by boosting post or a ppc ad. It's pretty cheap and is awesome at narrowing down your target demo. Every once in a while if calls aren't coming as often as I'd like I kick start things with fb.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|

|
|
Rbriggs82 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rbriggs82 For This Useful Post:
DrakeB (12-28-2015)
Old 12-21-2015, 08:33 PM   #5
RCP

Rewards Points: 78
Thanked 4,804 Times in 3,011 Posts
View RCP's Photo Album My Photos

Be interesting to see some real statistics on leads from Social Media vs Website. How do count it if they went to your website from Facebook? Or found your site then contacted you on Facebook when they checked you out.
What about the folks not on Facebook?
What happens when FB becomes the next Myspace?
How do you really show what your company is on Facebook?

RCP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RCP For This Useful Post:
chrisn (02-14-2016)
Old 12-22-2015, 07:09 PM   #6
King Dude

Rewards Points: 2
Thanked 5,112 Times in 2,921 Posts
View Rbriggs82's Photo Album My Photos

Facebook is great for getting referrals. We got tagged in this post today.

Someone asked their friends if they know of any good painters to call to have their interior painted. This was the response.

It's hard to beat that.

|
|
|

|
|
Rbriggs82 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rbriggs82 For This Useful Post:
George Z (12-22-2015), RCP (12-28-2015)
Old 12-22-2015, 10:08 PM   #7
The Painter, Inc

Rewards Points: 42
View RodHamilton's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCP View Post
Be interesting to see some real statistics on leads from Social Media vs Website. How do count it if they went to your website from Facebook? Or found your site then contacted you on Facebook when they checked you out.
What about the folks not on Facebook?
How do you really show what your company is on Facebook?
We're wrapping up our marketing matrix for 2015 right now. If you'd like to see the results, I'll post them. LOTS of people look at our Facebook page but they typically find their way there through Google, Angie's List or our website; so I expect the Facebook leads number is going to be among the lowest that we have.
RodHamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RodHamilton For This Useful Post:
RCP (12-28-2015)
Old 12-22-2015, 10:47 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 42
Thanked 1,066 Times in 595 Posts
View driftweed's Photo Album My Photos

My Facebook page out ranks my website, both are on page 1 haha
driftweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 10:07 AM   #9

Quote:
FB may or may not go that direction, but at the end of the day it won't matter much. You'll still have gotten your pay-off for whatever you put into it. And if FB starts to trail off into oblivion like MS did, all you have to do is trail off your content and time as well. It is, generally speaking, fairly low risk marketing. Even if you pay, it's usually very inexpensive and the pay-offs are quick and immediate. Doesn't mean you immediately get more jobs, but people see the post (and get your name out there) or follow. Either way, you've gotten some benefit from it immediately.
Old 12-28-2015, 11:36 AM   #10
RCP

Rewards Points: 78
Thanked 4,804 Times in 3,011 Posts
View RCP's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrakeB View Post
FB may or may not go that direction, but at the end of the day it won't matter much. You'll still have gotten your pay-off for whatever you put into it. And if FB starts to trail off into oblivion like MS did, all you have to do is trail off your content and time as well. It is, generally speaking, fairly low risk marketing. Even if you pay, it's usually very inexpensive and the pay-offs are quick and immediate. Doesn't mean you immediately get more jobs, but people see the post (and get your name out there) or follow. Either way, you've gotten some benefit from it immediately.
Great points, and I agree. My concern is that if one puts all their "eggs in one basket". Social Media is great place to be on, but it should always be leading folks to your website and converting.

RCP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RCP For This Useful Post:
DrakeB (12-28-2015)
Old 12-28-2015, 03:39 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 28
View Brandon Doyle's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by driftweed View Post
My Facebook page out ranks my website, both are on page 1 haha
Driftweed, out of curiosity, does your Facebook page out rank your website for a branded search or general search? For example, does it rank higher when searching "Company Name" or "Painter in [your city], [your state]"?

If it's for branded, then out ranking your website is irrelevant, since new customers looking for your service won't know your name and therefore the Facebook page is moot.

Just my two cents!
Brandon Doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 05:04 PM   #12

Quote:
Great points, and I agree. My concern is that if one puts all their "eggs in one basket". Social Media is great place to be on, but it should always be leading folks to your website and converting.
I don't 100% agree with this, but it's probably good advice for most people anyways. You can convert on social media like Facebook as well as or better than a website- it's only relevant to move someone to a website if there's information there that's not available on FB (of course, most website companies don't want you to believe this, which is where a lot of the seemingly well-intentioned articles come from urging people to utilize their websites; always check the author!). The only time moving an audience to a website is 100% necessary is if you're not providing enough information on social media, or if the specific type of social media you're on is going away (which, again, is a challenge to deal with when it happens for the most part). Keep in mind that when you try to move an audience to an external site, you will lose part of the audience. Not 'might' or 'could.' You will lose some. If you're not trying to convert on social media where you have an audience, you are losing sales. Period.

It's all somewhat field-specific; I'd say a home improvement/paint/lumber store like mine is better served with a website push due to the number of products and services offered. Contrarily, relatively simple product or service offerings (such as house painting) can often convert MUCH more successfully on Facebook than they ever could on a website. For one thing, the audience is already vastly more reachable on Facebook than they ever will be on a website, no matter how good you are. And for another, some of the best selling tools are pictures; unless you set up your website like a blog or mirroring a social media layout, Facebook does a vastly superior job delivering image content to your audience. Again, this is something website creation companies are fighting tooth and nail to keep you from believing, and many online sources urging you to push people to websites are written by them out of self-interest. For simple service offerings where pictures are the most powerful selling tools, Facebook will always be superior to a website.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DrakeB For This Useful Post:
CApainter (12-28-2015), RCP (12-28-2015), rml63 (12-28-2015), SemiproJohn (01-01-2016)
Old 12-30-2015, 05:17 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 312
View Crackshot's Photo Album My Photos

as a sole trader / contractor , i am able to present a webpage but lack the time to get one up, I have had a Facebook business page up for a few years. since this time last year. I can say i've had maybe 2 or 3 jobs from FB. I dont advertise, literally every job I have done. leads on to the next or people seek me. I have on occasion poked my head in at a few construction sites. but more so. FB is where I point people if they want to see what I can do.
Crackshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 10:17 AM   #14

Rewards Points: 14
View LocalSEOExpert's Photo Album My Photos

I'm loving this topic. My paint company has both a Facebook Page and a website. Our website generates WAY more calls than Facebook, but our FB page does drive 3 or 4 solid leads a month.
The thing is that you can't just throw up a site or a FB page and expect to get business from them. You have to be actively participating on FB and keeping your business page current with new completed jobs etc. And you should ask clients to post their experience with you on their own FB page.
If you can find a local community FB group and get involved there that can be a gold mine. People are always in those groups asking for recommendations for good contractors. Just like Rbriggs82 got that referral from someone asking.
I don't think just having a FB page is going to keep you busy, but if you don't have a budget for a quality site and to get it ranked in Google, FB is a great way to go.
LocalSEOExpert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 05:37 PM   #15
centralabpainter

Rewards Points: 80
View centralalbertapaint's Photo Album My Photos

I have both, facebook is a great tool for your business, sort of tricky to get all figured out, just takes time.
centralalbertapaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 07:08 AM   #16

Rewards Points: 16
View starvelingcurry's Photo Album My Photos

I know many people whose Facebook site receive more traffic through Google than their actual website. However actual websites convert much better than social media. The best strategy is to use social media to drive traffic to your webpage. This way you get quality, high converting potential customers.
starvelingcurry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 02:08 AM   #17

Rewards Points: 16
View Campbell Gorrie's Photo Album My Photos

I've got a website but most of my leads are coming for Facebook not my website
Campbell Gorrie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None