The First Call - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Business > Business, Marketing, and Sales

Old 04-08-2010, 11:47 PM   #1
RCP

Rewards Points: 78
Thanked 4,804 Times in 3,011 Posts
View RCP's Photo Album My Photos
Default The First Call

Last Sunday Rob and I were in the truck, his phone rang and I answered it without thinking and just said "hello". The caller said "umm, is this RC Painting", it was someone wanting a bid. It caught me off guard, and I was scrambling for pen and paper, but it worked out. I just felt like I started off on the wrong foot!
Then I read this and felt even worse!

The First Call

By Tim Nagle

One step in a prospective customer relationship that is commonly overlooked or mishandled is the first phone call. I have found that the first phone conversation from a prospective customer plays a critical part in the overall sales process for remodeling businesses. When this call is handled correctly, your customer will begin to like you and develop their trust in you. The first phone conversation is a crucial moment in the overall sales process and, sadly, many opportunities are lost by mishandling this critical stage.

more at remodeling online

Granted, it is geared towards remodelers, but a good read.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
RCP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RCP For This Useful Post:
dubinpainting (04-12-2010), johnpaint (04-08-2010), nEighter (04-09-2010)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2010, 11:52 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000
Thanked 1,031 Times in 753 Posts
View johnpaint's Photo Album My Photos

You are so right, and I like you feel bad when I answer like that. I don't have it too bad, My company name is my name so I just answer "Hello, This is John"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Never argue with a fool - they will drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
johnpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 12:16 AM   #3

View nEighter's Photo Album My Photos

mista johnpaint #1 yerrow room painta how can I help you?!

nEighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2010, 01:34 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 10
View House Painting Bids's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via ICQ to House Painting Bids

Always answer professionally, this is the first contact with the customer. First impressions are everything.
House Painting Bids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 11:58 AM   #5
CraftJack

Rewards Points: 250
View RGordon's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via AIM to RGordon

Also, don't forget to have a professional voicemail message!

I love when i calls guys on their "work" (cell) numbers and the voice-mail is something like "You've reached Ray, please leave a message," or even beter, just "leave a message," or even better yet, (in computer lady voice) "You've reached 7-7-3, 4-6-7, 3-3-2-4. please leave a message at the beep."

If you use your cell phone as a work phone as well, you should have a voicemail that's professional and mentions your company name:

"Hello, you've reached John from Platinum Painting Plus, I am sorry I missed your call. Please leave a message and we will get back to you shortly."

- The Toolbox -
Connect with me on
RGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RGordon For This Useful Post:
6126 (07-19-2010)
Old 04-09-2010, 12:07 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,000
Thanked 1,136 Times in 611 Posts
View y.painting's Photo Album My Photos

At only about $50/month, I really don't see why people aren't using actual PBX systems from guys like freedom voice, kall8, get1800, etc etc.

Transfer your local number to one of these companies and then you can set up forwarders to your cell, home, office, whatever from there. You will get a professional greeting system, menu options if you choose to do so, etc, etc.

You never have to miss a call, just set up the forwarders correctly for when you're out of the office.

A nice primer video: http://www.freedomvoice.com/how-it-works.shtml
The Following User Says Thank You to y.painting For This Useful Post:
Rcon (04-11-2010)
Old 04-11-2010, 02:53 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 250
View salestrainer's Photo Album My Photos

I love the guys who have music on their phone when a client calls, man that sounds professional. A fellow painter who I call, never anwers his phone, and has " a country can survive" playing for his ring tone! I love that song by the way, but I am not playing any music on my business phone. I also think it is tacky to even answer a phone in front of a client, much less have a silly ring tone the client hears!
brushmonkey (04-11-2010)
Old 04-11-2010, 04:20 PM   #8
RIP 2017

Rewards Points: 500
View VanDamme's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by salestrainer View Post
I love the guys who have music on their phone when a client calls, man that sounds professional. A fellow painter who I call, never anwers his phone, and has " a country can survive" playing for his ring tone! I love that song by the way, but I am not playing any music on my business phone. I also think it is tacky to even answer a phone in front of a client, much less have a silly ring tone the client hears!
I leave my phone in the truck when meeting with a client, then it's a non-issue.

As far as my ring tone.....it sound just like the ol' fashion rotary dial phones did.
VanDamme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VanDamme For This Useful Post:
aaron61 (04-11-2010), Wolfgang (04-12-2010)
Old 04-11-2010, 06:18 PM   #9
I'm Colour Blind

Rewards Points: 1,008
View mistcoat's Photo Album My Photos

I answer my mobile in a pro manner to numbers I do not recognise. I let it go to v/mail (w/ business name mentioned and other lines to call on) if unable to answer i.e. sticking wallpaper or driving etc. I ring back asap if it has gone to v/mail and the caller has not remained 'anon'.

Salestrainer: I have a song for my ringtone and see no probs with it TBH.
But, a phone ringtone shouldn't be loud/annoying e.g. Bodies by Obscure etc.
I think us Brits are a bit laid back with our ringtones at work. JMO.
Like you tho', I don't condone in your face, loud tones or vulgar tones either (as funny as some are, they are not fit for business ).

My ringtone is - Your Silent Face by New Order... Quite calm I guess (hope).

mistcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 07:51 AM   #10
Renegade Mod

Rewards Points: 302
Thanked 8,697 Times in 4,067 Posts
View Wolfgang's Photo Album My Photos

2 cell phones; 1 for business and 1 for personal. Business phone was always answered "professionally" but the personal phone usually got you "Hello".....or if I knew the guy; "What the hell you want?!?"

And phones were always either turned down or left in the vehicle when meeting with a customer.
Old 04-12-2010, 08:13 AM   #11

View nEighter's Photo Album My Photos

Wolf that is probably the best way. I have only 1 # and wouldn't you know that people call at like 8pm and I answer normally.. they are like "is this Atlas Coatings & Construction??" YEP. Just after hours that is all

nEighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 07:32 PM   #12
Systems Fanatic

Rewards Points: 500
View Brian's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCP View Post
Last Sunday Rob and I were in the truck, his phone rang and I answered it without thinking and just said "hello". The caller said "umm, is this RC Painting", it was someone wanting a bid. It caught me off guard, and I was scrambling for pen and paper, but it worked out. I just felt like I started off on the wrong foot!
That's one reason I don't give customers my cell phone number or use it in marketing.

Brian Phillips

Brian is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None